Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
60/40. Kenyan AA/Yirgacheffe.

I mixed about a third of a kilo. If I had to redo it, I would swap the values around to be more Yirgacheffe than Kenyan AA. The brightness of the Yirgacheffe and the bold roundness of a Kenyan AA go together very well.

Anyway, I made an error when cleaning out my portafilter basket and used a vinegar solution. I was a bit sleepy. They're now soaking in water with a light solution of citric acid and vodka to loosen the oils and get rid of the stench. I'll be using the other espresso machine for a few days.

I believe your post from a while back inspired me to try my own blends out on a smaller scale before doing a thorough mixing.

Yes, I have found that such blends need more of the Ethiopian (around 60% if blended with Kenyan) otherwise its brightness and clean notes tend to be overwhelmed.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just got done with a Cafe Cubano or Cuban coffee. Espresso grind in a moka, mound at top, don't tamp or even out. Place the top on and screw hard. Use chilled water. High heat until you can smell the infusion, low heat then. Pour 2 tsp out into a mug or small bowl containing 3-4 tbsp (45-60 g) white castor sugar. You may use other sugar, but it needs to liquefy a bit. Use a teaspoon, preferably a cocktail spoon, and whip the coffee into the sugar until it's a light crema color with a faint taste of coffee. Some granules will remain. The coffee should be ready now. Place on a chilled towel and then pour the coffee into the bowl, or spoon the mixture into demitasse cups and slowly pour the coffee into them. It should result in a faux crema. The coffee will be sweet, but due to the aeration of the sugar mixture, the sweetness won't overpower the strong coffee. Drink piping hot.

I believe Cubans and Cuban Americans consume this form of 'espresso' 3-4 times a day. A lot of sugar for some of us. I consider this a special once a month drink to be had after a heavy meal. Which was roast lamb shoulder with new potatoes and root vegetables.

Having made it before and had this made for me before, I do enjoy the rarity but it is a lot of effort to do every day let alone so many times a day. Hat's off to the Cubans. Anyway, I'll be having a cappuccino later on.

Yes, I have found that such blends need more of the Ethiopian (around 60% if blended with Kenyan) otherwise its brightness and clean notes tend to be overwhelmed.
Mhmm. Lesson learned.

I also like Moroccan green tea, which is fresh mint, lots of sugar and gunpowder green tea. A very soothing and delicious drink, but they drink it far too sweet. I cheat by using stevia leaves from the garden. It results in an even sweeter drink, but due to the plants natural sweetness without containing sugar, the calories gained from using stevia leaf is less than 20 kcal compared to 120-400 calories from sugar. It, much like sugar alcohols, is non-cariogenic.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have had an Italian prepare coffee for me this way (none of this complicated business of towels, or chilled water) by stirring the sugar with a few drops of espresso (made with a moka pot); time consuming but delicious.

And - when I am at home - I tend to use unrefined brown sugar with coffee. Never white (unless I am abroad and have little choice).

Reactions: JamesMike

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just had my extra-super-antoxidant Macchiato (coconut-oil, cinnamon extract, green coffee extract AND small pieces raw organic chocolate). So I am ready to head off for an extra long & sweaty spinning class.
I'm no ordinary chocolate girl, more of licorice chick (sweetened with stevia of course) when it comes to candy.
But coffee AND chocolate, WOW.
I do the opposite when I do my own protein bars/bites. Adding coffee to them, WOW.

Enjoy your coffee however you like folks this fine Sunday, but enjoy it :D:p

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Some chilled green tea with coconut. A local store of mine recently brought back their tins of the stuff. Has a few herbal stuff in it, too. I don't care for it hot, but it's very refreshing when chilled.

Reactions: Lioness~

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I have had an Italian prepare coffee for me this way (none of this complicated business of towels, or chilled water) by stirring the sugar with a few drops of espresso (made with a moka pot); time consuming but delicious.

And - when I am at home - I tend to use unrefined brown sugar with coffee. Never white (unless I am abroad and have little choice).

I agree about the brown sugar, stirring a spoonful in my Kenyan coffee right now.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Looking into getting a Mazzer.
[doublepost=1503276406][/doublepost]Turkish

Learned of coffee substitutes using during the war. I know of acorn coffee, but apparently some countries used roasted chickpeas, lentils and other cheap grain. Excuse me while I dry heave.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Some nice earl gray at the moment, then a quad shot with steamed milk in a couple hours to watch some Foyle's War. I watch an episode every few weeks to keep it fresh an exciting.

RE Mazzers. I wish Shrink still posted. He knew a great deal about grinders, IIRC.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Looking into getting a Mazzer.
[doublepost=1503276406][/doublepost]Turkish

Learned of coffee substitutes using during the war. I know of acorn coffee, but apparently some countries used roasted chickpeas, lentils and other cheap grain. Excuse me while I dry heave.

The use of acorn coffee was widespread on mainland Europe during the war. (That is, the second world war).

As for dry heaving: Do we need to know this? It strikes me as a sort of self-indulgent First World reaction to a historical fact.

However, during the more recent Balkan Wars, while much else was hard to obtain, - during the siege of Goradze, a thriving black market occurred during the hours of nightfall, which ensured that the town was never short of coffee, cigarettes, or cooking oil.

Some nice earl gray at the moment, then a quad shot with steamed milk in a couple hours to watch some Foyle's War. I watch an episode every few weeks to keep it fresh an exciting.

RE Mazzers. I wish Shrink still posted. He knew a great deal about grinders, IIRC.

Foyle's War is excellent - and, historically - quite meticulous.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
A moka using that blend from yesterday. Yesterday morning and just now have been some of the best moka "pulls" I've made. Perfect across the board. One day I'm going to master the moka. My two recent "pulls" didn't go blond until the very end. Quite a nice feat.

Staying up to hopefully catch part of the eclipse in the morning.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A moka using that blend from yesterday. Yesterday morning and just now have been some of the best moka "pulls" I've made. Perfect across the board. One day I'm going to master the moka. My two recent "pulls" didn't go blond until the very end. Quite a nice feat.

Staying up to hopefully catch part of the eclipse in the morning.

Enjoy the eclipse and the moka both.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Woke up from a five hour nap. Currently drinking some piping hot hibiscus tea with a cinnamon stick. And reading up on new cultivars of Robusta, and also reading on niche robusta heavy blends of coffee.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Magnificent event. Truly breathtaking. I passed the time by roasting my beans in between looking at the eclipse. Now to wait a few days and savor my hard work or possibly mucked up work.

Some regular old drip coming up in an hour. And then getting started on the pasta dough. Might as well make good use of my "day off."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Magnificent event. Truly breathtaking. I passed the time by roasting my beans in between looking at the eclipse. Now to wait a few days and savor my hard work or possibly mucked up work.

Some regular old drip coming up in an hour. And then getting started on the pasta dough. Might as well make good use of my "day off."

Had you the good fortune to witness a total eclipse?

If so, lucky you.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Had you the good fortune to witness a total eclipse?

If so, lucky you.
No. :( Only about 70% totality. Still, a truly marvelous event. I felt the air chill a bit. The best partial I've witnessed in my life was in Summer of 2002. A 70~% totality just before dusk setting in. Because of the sun's low period then, the effect was much greater, causing an eerie cast to settle on the region. Very similar to early morning with a bluish LED-esque light. It was a very memorable experience and one I cherish greatly.

On to the topic at hand.

Macchiato.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No. :( Only about 70% totality. Still, a truly marvelous event. I felt the air chill a bit. The best partial I've witnessed in my life was in Summer of 2002. A 70~% totality just before dusk setting in. Because of the sun's low period then, the effect was much greater, causing an eerie cast to settle on the region. Very similar to early morning with a bluish LED-esque light. It was a very memorable experience and one I cherish greatly.

On to the topic at hand.

Macchiato.

Yes, I have experienced that eerie half light - quite extraordinary and impressive.

And, yes, I would love to witness full eclipse of the sun, something I don't doubt is an unforgettably magnificent sight.

On topic, I hope you enjoyed your macchiato - which is one of my favourite coffee - or espresso based - drinks.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Indeed, it is wonderful. To soothe the wounds of cutting myself on one of my mokas this morning as I was washing it. I'm glad the hot water stung or else I'd have easily cut to the bone on a side joint.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Homemade, James?

Currently enjoying an iced gin tea. Haven't had gin tea in... a long time. Very refreshing. I muddled some extra cucumber and lavender.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed, it is wonderful. To soothe the wounds of cutting myself on one of my mokas this morning as I was washing it. I'm glad the hot water stung or else I'd have easily cut to the bone on a side joint.

I suspect that you had let your mind wander and weren't concentrating on what you were doing. Whenever I cut myself, when asking up, or otherwise, this is how (and why) it tends to happen.

Enjoying some brownies with my Kenyan cup.

Enjoy your Kenyan coffee and enjoy your brownies.
[doublepost=1503378320][/doublepost]
Why look? Just leap.

Ah. What a wonderfully eloquent, yet economical, reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.