Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Marzipan baked into so many good things. The stollen. The poppy seed rolls. Thankfully, I began my 'diet' months ago and have slimmed down in light of the holidays. I abstained last year. It was torture.

Sounds wonderful.

Time to prepare a coffee for myself.

Then, the debate is what to have with it: Should I have French bread and homemade (though not by me) jam - or, French bread and cheese..........

I visited the cheesemonger's yesterday.........Camembert, Brillat Savarin, Gorgonzola, Stilton, aged Gouda (cow and goat), and some Taleggio made up my selection.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Sounds wonderful.

Then, the debate is what to have with it: Should I have French bread and homemade (though not by me) jam - or, French bread and cheese..........

I visited the cheesemonger's yesterday.........Camembert, Brillat Savarin, Gorgonzola, Stilton, aged Gouda (cow and goat), and some Taleggio made up my selection.
Jam works well with cheese.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Sounds wonderful.

Nice!
Though I'd have substituted a Brie for the Camembert…
For me no cheese comes close. No wonder Charlemagne demanded cartloads of Brie as payment in lieu of coin.

Definitely.

Personal favourite is Mostarda with some formaggio and salumi…
*sigh* but now only a rare treat. :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Triple creme brie is akin to dying and coming back to life as a baby every day. It's heavenly stuff. I've been known to grab uneaten wheels of the stuff near the end of holiday dinners and eat it alone, by hand, of course. Alcohol usually involved and in heavy amounts. I find it counteracts the wine and scotch nicely at the molecular level. That previous statement is absolute tosh.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Agreed; Seriously good jam.

Unfortunately - I have been away for three months - and the house appears to be denuded of jam (and I am one of those who only buys the good stuff). That deficiency shall be remedied this coming week-end.

Just now, I am sipping a rather nice Ethiopian coffee prepared by my own fair hand........the first coffee I have prepared in the best part of three months, too.

Nice!
Though I'd have substituted a Brie for the Camembert…
For me no cheese comes close. No wonder Charlemagne demanded cartloads of Brie as payment in lieu of coin.

Definitely.

Personal favourite is Mostarda with some formaggio and salumi…
*sigh* but now only a rare treat. :)

There was Brie - the classic Brie de Meaux - but the Camembert had a slinky, seductive, oozing charm, fat with happiness, that beckoned to me.

Now, this is what has comprised breakfast, today. I will confess that it also comprised supper yesterday.

Triple creme brie is akin to dying and coming back to life as a baby every day. It's heavenly stuff. I've been known to grab uneaten wheels of the stuff near the end of holiday dinners and eat it alone, by hand, of course. Alcohol usually involved and in heavy amounts. I find it counteracts the wine and scotch nicely at the molecular level. That previous statement is absolute tosh.

Ah.

Now then, if you like this sort of thing (and I confess that I do, especially at breakfast time), have you ever tried the delightful Gorgonzola (the dolcelatte) with mascarpone "cake"? It is a delicacy that one swoons for.....

Then, there is the wonderful named Le Délice de Bourgogne - a cheese made from triple cream.......

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That was my birthday "treat" to myself this year.
A fat wedge of Dolcelatte… sublime. :)

I know exactly how you feel, and cannot but agree with your stance on Dolcelatte. It is my favourite, too.

Actually, I adore Gorgonzola Dolcelatte (and no, that verb is not an effete exaggeration, it is meant quite literally); the most delicious meal - bar none - I have had in the past three months was hosted by Italian colleagues on an Italian vessel where they served gnocchi, gorgonzola sauce and walnuts...........sublime, seriously sublime.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Was going to do figs and cottage cheese for breakfast. It appears the latter went off sometime between Monday and today. Also out of the blue, cheddar and fresh mozz. I put healthy breakfast aside and had a slice of cake with a large mug of Kenya AA.

RE Mascarpone cake: Never seen such a thing. Tart, yes, cake, no.

At least my coffees are probably arriving tomorrow or Monday. That's something to look forward to.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Was going to do figs and cottage cheese for breakfast. It appears the latter went off sometime between Monday and today. Also out of the blue, cheddar and fresh mozz. I put healthy breakfast aside and had a slice of cake with a large mug of Kenya AA.

RE Mascarpone cake: Never seen such a thing. Tart, yes, cake, no.

At least my coffees are probably arriving tomorrow or Monday. That's something to look forward to.

Well, maybe it is a 'tart'; however, google it - I have had it (it is seasonal) and it is quite delicious, a multi-layered delight of mascarpone and Gorgonzola Dolcelatte......

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just had the most dreadful excuse for a flat white you could imagine from Greggs! “Freshly ground beans”! They should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Treating ourselves to a limited run from our local roastery who teamed up with a French bakery. Pralined hazelnuts (in seperate bag) with freshly roasted SA and Yirgacheffe blend. Safe to run through your grinder. I've said it before, but I hate hazelnuts in just about anything. However, it works with this. The light sweetness and the aromatics of the nut with the coffee blend just work.

Now if only I'd picked up a Paris brest or two. Damn.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treating ourselves to a limited run from our local roastery who teamed up with a French bakery. Pralined hazelnuts (in seperate bag) with freshly roasted SA and Yirgacheffe blend. Safe to run through your grinder. I've said it before, but I hate hazelnuts in just about anything. However, it works with this. The light sweetness and the aromatics of the nut with the coffee blend just work.

Now if only I'd picked up a Paris brest or two. Damn.

I'll be honest: I don't like anything in my coffee except coffee (and - perhaps - milk, full, fat, and preferably organic - and/or sugar); certainly, nothing along the line of nuts, - those I like separately, but not in coffee - or those ghastly flavours one finds in Starbuck's.

But, each to their own.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just had the most dreadful excuse for a flat white you could imagine from Greggs! “Freshly ground beans”! They should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act!
Write up a complaint to the ASA, too. I know someone who did many years ago.
Treated myself to some stunning Ethiopian coffee today; bliss it is to be sufficiently alive to be able to partake of such things.

Speaking of, I recently learned you could drop a dab of butter into coffee and drink it while ill. Supposedly coats the throat while serving your want for coffee. I'm not sure how it tastes.
[doublepost=1506204332][/doublepost]
I'll be honest: I don't like anything in my coffee except coffee (and - perhaps - milk, full, fat, and preferably organic - and/or sugar); certainly, nothing along the line of nuts, - those I like separately, but not in coffee - or those ghastly flavours one finds in Starbuck's.

But, each to their own.
If I were to describe it, the faint flavor is akin to good Iberian ham. It's there, but it's not totally there. I suspect the roaster will catch a lot of flack for it, but oh well. The nuts are put in a separate bag. Though, while I was waiting to put the just ground coffee from our grinder into our French press and the coffeemaker with the stainless steel filter, I did hear a curious crunching/cracking noise from the kitchen. I had to take a business call. When I did walk back, the kitchen smelled as if someone was eating the nuts on their lonesome.

I may try this method of being a ghost and eating a nut or two later. Do you like cream in your coffee? I've recently been trying it instead of full fat milk, and I like the more luxurious taste it offers without watering down the coffee with milk. Obviously, I wouldn't make a "latte" out of it unless I plan on becoming an obese gentleman.

I opt for just over 10 ml of the stuff. It works for a 34 oz French press (1000 ml). Just enough to change color and viscosity a bit, and still taste like coffee. To use milk to achieve the same goal, would take much more and more calories.

I generally prefer eating my calories rather than drinking them. Unless it's good alcohol.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If I were to describe it, the faint flavor is akin to good Iberian ham. It's there, but it's not totally there. I suspect the roaster will catch a lot of flack for it, but oh well. The nuts are put in a separate bag. Though, while I was waiting to put the just ground coffee from our grinder into our French press and the coffeemaker with the stainless steel filter, I did hear a curious crunching/cracking noise from the kitchen. I had to take a business call. When I did walk back, the kitchen smelled as if someone was eating the nuts on their lonesome.

I may try this method of being a ghost and eating a nut or two later. Do you like cream in your coffee? I've recently been trying it instead of full fat milk, and I like the more luxurious taste it offers without watering down the coffee with milk. Obviously, I wouldn't make a "latte" out of it unless I plan on becoming an obese gentleman.

I opt for just over 10 ml of the stuff. It works for a 34 oz French press (1000 ml). Just enough to change color and viscosity a bit, and still taste like coffee. To use milk to achieve the same goal, would take much more and more calories.

I generally prefer eating my calories rather than drinking them. Unless it's good alcohol.

Yes, I do like cream in my coffee.

Preferably double fat, organic cream. Best of all organic Jersey (or Guernsey) cream.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Earl grey with a lump of sugar and squeeze of lemon.

Gotta love exploding head syndrome. Practically jumped out of bed. Wish there was a pill to fix all these unknown sleep problems.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Earl grey with a lump of sugar and squeeze of lemon.

Gotta love exploding head syndrome. Practically jumped out of bed. Wish there was a pill to fix all these unknown sleep problems.

No, I don't love "exploding head syndrome" at all.

Rather, I love "sleepy head syndrome" except when I have to drag myself from slumber at some godforsaken hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.