Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And how did you like it?

I'm guessing it was brewed in western style given the mention of organic hot milk?
Yes, very much brewed in the western style.

Actually, I used a ceramic Hario dripper and Hario filter paper.
I have contemplated the Hario but never went for it. Still would considering picking one up. Let us know how they do for you.
As an actual means of coffee preparation, or as an immersion machine?

With the standard Hario dripper, plus filter paper (I have Hario drippers in copper, ceramic - possibly my favourite - plastic (great for travel, very portable), wood, stainless steel - coffee preparation is almost foolproof and is very forgiving.

When what I want, (crave, desire) is simply a single cup (mug) of coffee, the Hario dripper (and filter paper) is my go to method. Other times, I will use a moka pot, or, - another very forgiving method of coffee preparation, - a French Press.

Actually, whenever I play host to guests (unfortunately, a most infrequent occurrence ever since the advent of Covid), I will use the French Press to prepare coffee.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I am curious as to the immersion part of it. On the switch, as you know, it allows you to do the normal pourover or "switch" to the immersion technique. I am wondering on the differences in the coffee produced. I am sure I would like it from either method but never was curious enough the try the switch machine. If there's a material difference, perhaps I should reconsider.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Yes, very much brewed in the western style.

Actually, I used a ceramic Hario dripper and Hario filter paper.

With the standard Hario dripper, plus filter paper (I have Hario drippers in copper, ceramic - possibly my favourite - plastic (great for travel, very portable), wood, stainless steel - coffee preparation is almost foolproof and is very forgiving.

When what I want, (crave, desire) is simply a single cup (mug) of coffee, the Hario dripper (and filter paper) is my go to method. Other times, I will use a moka pot, or, - another very forgiving method of coffee preparation, - a French Press.

Actually, whenever I play host to guests (unfortunately, a most infrequent occurrence ever since the advent of Covid), I will use the French Press to prepare coffee.
When I have guests and am making coffee, it's in a French Press. It makes great coffee....and it's what I keep around that makes more than one cup at a time!

I'm also a fan of Hario's V60 dripper. It's what I use for my daily coffee. Besides making good coffee, clean up afterwards is especially easy, something that's much appreciated when I've just gotten up in the morning and am still preparing for the day.

The Hario Switch that I've borrowed is a glass V60 with a base that has a valve. When the valve is open, it makes a great pour over coffee, and with the valve closed, it brews a really nice coffee using the immersion method......and clean up is just as easy either way since it uses the paper filter whichever way it's used.

I've only used it a few times so far, but I find myself liking the immersion coffee it makes

The Clever Dripper is indeed clever, and it can also be used to make either pour over or immersion style coffee. It's a bit fussier to use tho

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am curious as to the immersion part of it. On the switch, as you know, it allows you to do the normal pourover or "switch" to the immersion technique. I am wondering on the differences in the coffee produced. I am sure I would like it from either method but never was curious enough the try the switch machine. If there's a material difference, perhaps I should reconsider.

I don't have an immersion switch on my Hario drippers. Manual all the way.

Mine are just the old way, the actual Hario V60 dripper (copper, ceramic, plastic, steel, wood, as required) into which I have folded filter paper. The (ground, obviously) coffee is then spooned into the folded filter paper, already placed in the dripper.

This is then placed on top of the (preheated) mug or cup, and water (from the kettle) poured slowly into it.

Meanwhile, the heat is supplied by a kettle, which boils the water.

Usually, I will prepare hot milk as well (and this is something that is not always an option whenever I find myself working abroad).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I have guests and am making coffee, it's in a French Press. It makes great coffee....and it's what I keep around that makes more than one cup at a time!

I'm also a fan of Hario's V60 dripper. It's what I use for my daily coffee. Besides making good coffee, clean up afterwards is especially easy, something that's much appreciated when I've just gotten up in the morning and am still preparing for the day.

The Hario Switch that I've borrowed is a glass V60 with a base that has a valve. When the valve is open, it makes either a great pour over coffee, and with the valve closed, it brews a really nice coffee using the immersion method......and clean up is just as easy either way since it uses the paper filter whichever way it's used.

I've only used it a few times so far, but I find myself liking the immersion coffee it makes

The Clever Dripper is indeed clever, and it can also be used to make either pour over or immersion style coffee. It's a bit fussier to use tho
Excellent, interesting and informative post.

Fascinating.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

I assume that the goal of making an immersion version of a pour-over device is to improve the prospects of getting a more even extraction of the coffee from the grounds.....and also to make the pour-over device even simpler to use than it already is.

As you've probably read, coffee making instruction/propaganda from the experts tells us that when pouring the water for a pour-over, it's necessary to pour slowly in a circular motion (but not too close to the edge!) so as to more evenly distribute the water throughout the grounds in order to get a more even extraction of the coffee.....the immersion technique eliminates the need for a pour-over user to even know they're supposed to be adding the water in any sort of controlled way (which I suspect is something many don't know).

My assumption is that getting a consistently more even extraction could to lead to a more consistent quality coffee every day......and early in the morning when I need some, that would be nice

I've only had these drippers for a few days so I get to make more coffee before I form a definite opinion.....

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
.. whenever I play host to guests (unfortunately, a most infrequent occurrence ever since the advent of Covid), I will use the French Press to prepare coffee.
Same. I either make people caffe lattes (if I'm in a generous mood and they're willing to wait while I serve them individually) or, more typically, a cafetière. (I don't know why, but I've always used this word rather than French press - maybe it suits my occasionally-pretentious personality.)

On my own, when not having an espresso-based coffee, I'll have a Vietnamese drip coffee. I don't have a Hario dripper (it seems Scepticalscribe has bought them all anyway!) but I guess it's a poor man's version of the same thing. I use Vietnamese (mainly robusta) coffee and although it's a bit rough tasting, it certainly packs a caffeine punch.

Maybe this thread should be titled "Coffee Enthusiasts", at the risk of opening the door to the granules crowd ... xD

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Just scheduled a reminder to clean the brewing unit in my Espresso machine every 3 month. That should be enough. I got a reminder of the machine last week and it was much to late. Probably over 6 months I did it last time. And it was way too much problem of getting the thing out of the machine to clean it. It’s usually that thing that breaks first when the machine is aging. I will be taking better care of it this time. Don’t want to replace this machine anywhere soon yet. It’s not new, probably 5-7 yrs old now. With my more sporadically use and less espresso drinking these days, I might get it to last longer if I am a good caregiver of it, in particular of that brewing unit.
They are replaceable, done it on a another one of these. And as far as I’ve seen, Siemens and other brands too still uses these brewing units, so any problems of replacement won’t occur in that case when it happens.
But I want this to last for quite a while…..at least see it’s 10 birthday. Would be a record.

Now I need to go make my 4xEspresso. Will mix it with strong Chaga (herb-tea) today. Makes a very special strong taste to the espresso. ?☕️

Last edited:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
D48E9FF9-FF98-4834-9941-35FA136DAB09.jpeg

Current affinity: honeyed iced americanos. Taken with my new, fancy-dancy iPhone 13 mini ;)

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Just scheduled a reminder to clean the brewing unit in my Espresso machine every 3 month. That should be enough. I got a reminder of the machine last week and it was much to late. Probably over 6 months I did it last time. And it was way too much problem of getting the thing out of the machine to clean it. It’s usually that thing that breaks first when the machine is aging. I will be taking better care of it this time. Don’t want to replace this machine anywhere soon yet. It’s not new, probably 5-7 yrs old now. With my more sporadically use and less espresso drinking these days, I might get it to last longer if I am a good caregiver of it, in particular of that brewing unit.
They are replaceable, done it on a another one of these. And as far as I’ve seen, Siemens and other brands too still uses these brewing units, so any problems of replacement won’t occur in that case when it happens.
But I want this to last for quite a while…..at least see it’s 10 birthday. Would be a record.

Now I need to go make my 4xEspresso. Will mix it with strong Chaga (herb-tea) today. Makes a very special strong taste to the espresso. ?☕️

Cleanliness is next to coffeeness.

How many of us clean the portafilter and head after every brewing session?
If you don't, old coffee grounds go off and will add a bitter taste to your next coffee batch. It only takes a few hours for the old coffee to go off.

Enjoying a new batch of Lazzio Honduras coffee from Aldi. It is the first time I have been able to taste the chocolate notes in a coffee.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Cleanliness is next to coffeeness.

How many of us clean the portafilter and head after every brewing session?
If you don't, old coffee grounds go off and will add a bitter taste to your next coffee batch. It only takes a few hours for the old coffee to go off.

Enjoying a new batch of Lazzio Honduras coffee from Aldi. It is the first time I have been able to taste the chocolate notes in a coffee.

?? For cleanliness.

Fortunately the brewing unit is all I have to keep track on manually to clean in my Espresso machine now. All due to my reduced Espresso consumption. Otherwise the machine have good track of it all.

With normal or high consumption it doesn’t dry up as I've seen it done recently.
Everything else the machine takes care of or tell me to do in perfect timing.
To fill up the water-tank, beans, to empty the drip-tray, decalcify it and so on.

Cleaning our own system is also a great thing. If you really want to enhance your senses and mental sharpness take a 30-days water-fast. If you're not used to fasting, maybe start with something milder for the system, especially if you are a carnivorian.
Done a lot of fasting over the yrs. A reminder to myself right now too ?
Haven't done any fasting since before the pandemic now. See how things come along during spring/summer with space for it, but body starts to long for it.

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Found something at the local Whole Foods and thought I would give it a try. An Ethiopian light roast, natural. I'm pretty excited ... not going to lie.

I know the feeling....you'll have to let us know how it was.

I'm pretty partial to the coffees from El Salvador, especially their "natural" process coffees.

In fact, this is exactly what I enjoyed earlier today.

Do enjoy.

I'd decided that this order would be coffees from Central America, but the roaster offered too many options....so what to pick? Well, a bit of a fun delemma...... and I remembered seeing your mentions of enjoying El Salvador coffee, so that lead to the choice. I think next month will have to be more of the Central American options.

This month I also have some coffee from Panama and Costa Rica

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
A seriously tasty coffee with a rich depth of flavour.

I haven't had a coffee from Thailand before now.

"seriously tasty coffee" always sounds like a good experience!

And from what I've heard about anaerobic and black honey processing, I suspect they enhanced some of the flavor characteristics you've previously mentioned that you like.....would you say that's true?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"seriously tasty coffee" always sounds like a good experience!

And from what I've heard about anaerobic and black honey processing, I suspect they enhanced some of the flavor characteristics you've previously mentioned that you like.....would you say that's true?

Yes, I would. Very much so.

This is the first coffee I have had from Thailand, and I am most impressed.

Moreover, it is also the first coffee I have sampled (savoured, relished) that has been prepared with the "black honey processing" method. Now, as it happens, I have sampled "yellow honey", and "red honey" processed coffee, - the process (and taste, and flavour profile) is less pronounced the "lighter" the colour describing it, thus, "black honey processing" will have a richer, fuller, flavour profile than - for example - "yellow honey processing". (The "honey" refers to how much of the "mucilage" surrounding the coffee cherry is retained during the actual process).

Anyway, I very much liked it, and now count myself a fan of "black honey" processed coffee. This is an excellent coffee.

Furthermore, I must say that I had also liked the only coffee that I had previously encountered which was prepared using an anaerobic method of processing, so yes, that method, also, receives a "thumbs-up" from me.

Very much recommended.

In general, I tend to prefer "natural" processing methods to "washed" coffees, but yes, I can certainly recommend both the anaerobic metho, and - above all - "black honey" processing. Actually, I had been looking forward to laying hands on (and sampling, savouring, tasting) a coffee that had been prepared using the "black honey" method.

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Yes, I would. Very much so.

This is the first coffee I have had from Thailand, and I am most impressed.

Moreover, it is also the first coffee I have sampled (savoured, relished) that has been prepared with the "black honey processing" metod. Now, as it happens, I have sampled "yellow honey", and "red honey" processed coffee, - the process (and taste, and flavour profile) is less pronounced the "lighter" the colour describing it, thus, "black honey processing" will have a richer, fuller, flavour profile than - for example - "yellow honey processing". (The "honey" refers to how much of the "mucilage" surrounding the coffee cherry is retained during the processing process).

Anyway, I very much liked it, and now count myself a fan of "black honey" processed coffee. This is an excellent coffee.

Furthermore, I must say that I had also liked the only coffee that I had already encountered which was prepared using an anaerobic method of processing, so yes, that method, also receives a "thumbs-up" from me.

Very much recommended.

In general, I tend to prefer "natural" processing methods to "washed" coffees, but yes, I can certainly recommend both the anaerobic metho, and - above all - "black honey" processing. Actually, I had been looking forward to laying hands on (and sampling, savouring, tasting) a coffee that had been prepared using the "black honey" method.

It sounds wonderful.

It's quite interesting that it was both anaerobic and honey processed. Clearly there's somebody having fun producing such an unusual product.

I've never had coffee that was "honey" processed, but certainly it's worth finding some.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It sounds wonderful.

It's quite interesting that it was both anaerobic and honey processed. Clearly there's somebody having fun producing such an unusual product.

I've never had coffee that was "honey" processed, but certainly it's worth finding some.
That is pretty much what I had thought, as well, when I first spotted this coffee.

As mentioned earlier, I have had coffees that were "yellow honey" processed, and one or two that were "red honey" processed.

This was the first "black honey" processed coffee that I encountered (and the "black honey" processed is more time consuming, labour intensive - leading to a richer, deeper, more intense, and yes, somewhat "sweeter" - flavour profile - than the others) and I must say that I was really impressed.

Likewise, "anaerobic" coffees are not something that I have encountered often, but the one earlier occasion I ordered an "anaerobic" coffee, I recall that I had really enjoyed it.

Certainly, it has opened my eyes (or, rather, my palate,) to quality coffees from Thailand.

Sometimes, it is nice to be persuaded to venture out of your coffee comfort zone and try - and be pleasantly surprised by - something new. Otherwise, I would never contemplate placing an order for anything but the coffees I am partial to, coffees from Ethiopia, Kenya and El Salvador.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had an Italian coffee in Italy. They said it was 'their national coffee drink', was sweet, but not from sugar, and was not bitter at all like espresso can be. I can just say that it was AMAZING, and kept me up that night, but it was so good, I'd gladly do it again. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. It was a whirlwind trip through Italy and coastal Spain with a junket to Ibiza. A trip I'd also recommend to anyone. Especially Las Ramblas in Barcelona. (Do not go to Las Ramblas overly hungry, there are so many choices you need to see them all before you end up digesting yourself. (This was pre-pandemic. I have no idea of its condition since))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.