Estimated Date for next revision of MBA 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by darkserith, Oct 31, 2010.

1. darkserith macrumors newbie

When do you reckon they'll update the macbook air again?

2. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Won't be until this time next year if not the year after. If you are waiting for the next update you will be waiting awhile.

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Might see a small bump in speed next year sometime, but other than that nothing major.

4. GreatestDane macrumors member

Here comes the question: Do you guys honestly believe that Apple has a huge storage with loads and Loads of C2D's?
    Because if they don't then they will have to give it a new processor.

5. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

6. Leo Fischel macrumors newbie

Do you believe they are not produced anymore?

7. pscraig macrumors member

I just love these threads. Less than a week after a major product refresh we have people asking when it will be refreshed next.

What is the thinking behind this? Planning an advance purchase? If you continuously wait for the next greatest thing you might as well get a typewriter.

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Next year update with a bump in six months.

9. GreatestDane macrumors member

They are still produced, but, as far as I know, won't be by the end of 2010.

My advice would be: If the current MBA does what you need it to do, then hurry out and buy it.

10. hsl macrumors regular

it's not a normal c2d,… it's a special low voltage one,.. so yes, that one is still produced and will be in the air for atleast the next year. (maybe with a little speedbump & added backlight for the keyboard just before summer, but nothing major)

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Where is this speed bump asshattery coming from? there is nothing better in those TDPs. next CPU update will be Sandy Bridge

12. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

The CD2 is not that bad of a chip. The i3 only clocks about 10% improvement, but has the lousy Intel integrated graphics. The Nvidia graphics card used in the MBA posts a 200% speed improvement over the Intel chip. So the CD2/Nvidia combo would yield a substantial performance improvement over an i3 chip. I don't think Apple is going to dump the CD2 for the MBA until Intel comes out with a new high performance low power next generation chip.

13. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So you think the backlit kb Will be back within the next 6 months ?

14. slazareth macrumors regular

I think you're all crazy. :D I doubt there will be an update to these at all until Fall of 2011. Between now and then Apple will be focused on iPad 2 and iPhone 5. No need to update these computers until the sales die out. And I'd imagine that with the holidays and then tax returns and then summer + back to school. The new MBAs will be selling strong for at least a year.

Anyway, my take on it is this. If you want to maximize your investment, buy as soon as something is updated. If you hold out the "should I wait to buy" bug will just bite you harder.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Just look at how long it took Apple to update the last Air, over 550 days!!! Or the 2009 Mac Pro, it took over 500 days!! It may be until early 2012 until we see an update to the Air! Seriously! That is why it's so good to get one right now.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The Mac Pro didn't have the chips to launch until then, Apple doesn't launch a partial line. Who knows how long it took Apple to develop the SSD Card?

17. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

knowing my usual luck today or tomorrow .. approx 5 mins after this current one arrives :)

18. DeuxIt macrumors member

i want an illuminated keyboard; when is that coming out?? ;-)

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess a year from now.

I would expect to see 4GB RAM standard and 128GB standard with option to 256GB.

Processor wise, maybe a faster version of the current one. Maybe an upgrade. Harder to guess on this item.

20. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I agree: it will be tomorrow. Wait, which Tuesday did you mean? :)

21. macbook123 macrumors 68000

The question is which one. I've asked this repeatedly in other threads where people claimed Apple would update soon. As far as I know the Sandybridge processors are basically just upgrades to the current line of i3-i7 line, and Apple decided to not use these because of the poor integrated graphics.

Are there any processors WITHOUT integrated graphics on the Intel horizon?

22. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Instead of worrying about the next revision (the current one is really good, and once a new one comes out, you can sell the nonbacklit one), in a month or two, check ebay, etc...A lot of people will have buyer's remorse and decide to sell their Airs ( it's not because the air isn't a great product, but because people who impulse buy often regret it). At least I'm hoping it's true because I will take advantage.

23. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Yes, the C2D/Nvidia is a great Combo
    Then you can return it and get the new one
    Sandy Bridge has much better graphics

24. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Funny posts... I know it's easy to question why they're using "processors that may or may not cease to be manufactured this year"... but Apple and Intel are PARTNERS... and at the end of the day, if Apple is continuing to place orders for hundreds of thousands of these chips per month, do you really think Intel is going to say sorry, we can't help you anymore? No!

If you are a business and you're producing a product, the motivation to come out with a new model and stop production of the old is generally the demand drying up, and needing to stay relevant. Apple is the customer of intel, you and me as consumers aren't. We're already sold (well most of us, me included, based on the tons and tons of Airs they're selling), so Apple already has the sales. Do you really think intel is going to turn them away?

NO... because until one of the competitors comes out with a superior product (no, there's nothing superior, and if you think there is, maybe you're in the wrong forum, maybe you should go to www.windowsforums.com and talk about your amazing Acer), Apple is king of the land and will keep getting orders and won't have motivation to refresh the internals of the line.

Chicken vs Egg... Speed Bump vs Consumer demand... in the case of a speed bump, it's only driven by consumer demand. If there's a line of people waiting to buy what you have, why change it to get a couple "prosumer" sales.

25. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

As many have said. Sandy Bridge CPUs in LV/ULV are a year off. Probably then for an upgrade but don't bet on the graphics performance of the Intel graphics to be amazing.

Maybe Intel and NVIDIA will resolve their spat? It's unlikely though.