Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It is not only CPUs that can drive a revision - better SSDs, USB3 uptake etc might lead to incremental revisions. The first thing that needs to go is the white power pack. That no longer fits into Apple's aluminium world.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
It is not only CPUs that can drive a revision - better SSDs, USB3 uptake etc might lead to incremental revisions. The first thing that needs to go is the white power pack. That no longer fits into Apple's aluminium world.

Understood re: ssd, usb3... I agree it should drive revisions, but if there's a line to buy the current model, why release a new model? It's probably why Mac only has to come out with new models 1 or 2 times a year on basically any product... while the competition seems to roll out revisions bi-monthly.

Good point with the white power pack but what do you suggest? a metal pack? going to black like everyone else? The only real solution I could think of would be grey...

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Not arsed about CPU - beyond the sneer value of iX chips, the C2D/Nvidia combo is a winner for my needs.

I'd just like to see a little more 'leg' in the form of the return of a backlit KB (stupid decision, like removing FW on the MBP was before being reintro'd) and option for bigger flash storage and 4GB as standard.

But not prepare to wait 6 months for those features if I'm honest. So I'm biting the bullet and getting one, a good 18 months after my old MBA and I parted ways. I've got past the lure of the 11" and again fixed on the 13" with 4GB - just deciding whether or not to to spend the extra on 256GB (and thus 2.13GHz) or stick with the 128/1.86. Decisions, decisions...

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Not arsed about CPU - beyond the sneer value of iX chips, the C2D/Nvidia combo is a winner for my needs.

I'd just like to see a little more 'leg' in the form of the return of a backlit KB (stupid decision, like removing FW on the MBP was before being reintro'd) and option for bigger flash storage and 4GB as standard.

But not prepare to wait 6 months for those features if I'm honest. So I'm biting the bullet and getting one, a good 18 months after my old MBA and I parted ways. I've got past the lure of the 11" and again fixed on the 13" with 4GB - just deciding whether or not to to spend the extra on 256GB (and thus 2.13GHz) or stick with the 128/1.86. Decisions, decisions...

So let me ask you this... if putting a backlit keyboard meant shaving 30 minutes of your battery life, what's your opinion?

If putting a backlit keyboard meant adding 1/10th of an inch to the thickness (doubling the thickness of the slimmest portion) what's your opinion?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just look at how long it took Apple to update the last Air, over 550 days!!! Or the 2009 Mac Pro, it took over 500 days!! It may be until early 2012 until we see an update to the Air! Seriously! That is why it's so good to get one right now.

True, but Apple did release the original Air in February 2008, and followed up that November with the first revision. It got a slight speed bump in June 2009, and then nothing until last month.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
The current MBA lacks severely behind in the specs department. The C2D is pretty much obsolete, and the only reason to use it was the GPU dilemma brought forth by the Intel-Nvidia spat. Since Sandy Bridge is going to resolve this early next year, there is no reason not to have an update in late Q1.

By then, Apple will have sold hundreds of thousands of Airs, and the spec bump will be significant enough to trigger a lot of upgrades.

Yes, Apple has taken its time with the last upgrade. But there was a reason for this: the new Air chassis was in the works for a long time, and perhaps release was planned earlier. I imagine that Apple had frozen improvements on the old Air during the later stages of the development cycle for the new Air.

Thus, I do not expect the interval between this and the last Air revision as indicative for the next update, but much more the interval between the first Air and Rev B.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
The current MBA lacks severely behind in the specs department. The C2D is pretty much obsolete, and the only reason to use it was the GPU dilemma brought forth by the Intel-Nvidia spat. Since Sandy Bridge is going to resolve this early next year, there is no reason not to have an update in late Q1.

By then, Apple will have sold hundreds of thousands of Airs, and the spec bump will be significant enough to trigger a lot of upgrades.

Yes, Apple has taken its time with the last upgrade. But there was a reason for this: the new Air chassis was in the works for a long time, and perhaps release was planned earlier. I imagine that Apple had frozen improvements on the old Air during the later stages of the development cycle for the new Air.

Thus, I do not expect the interval between this and the last Air revision as indicative for the next update, but much more the interval between the first Air and Rev B.

soonest they'd go to market with the next gen would be june 1.. which would be a good unveil along with the rest of the MBPs at WWDC

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
WardC
Just look at how long it took Apple to update the last Air, over 550 days!!! Or the 2009 Mac Pro, it took over 500 days!! It may be until early 2012 until we see an update to the Air! Seriously! That is why it's so good to get one right now.

True, but Apple did release the original Air in February 2008, and followed up that November with the first revision. It got a slight speed bump in June 2009, and then nothing until last month.

Don't forget that this Air is intended to be more than just limited edition. It's practically the prologue to the new generation of MacBooks.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
So let me ask you this... if putting a backlit keyboard meant shaving 30 minutes of your battery life, what's your opinion?

If putting a backlit keyboard meant adding 1/10th of an inch to the thickness (doubling the thickness of the slimmest portion) what's your opinion?
Yes, I'd take that hit on battery as the backlit function is always optional, even when the ALS's are operational (apps such as LabTick).

An extra 2.5mm ot tenth of an inch? Not so sure. But then what was the spec on the old MBA? 0.16" compared with the new 0.11" wasn't it? I make that a twentieth of an inch then and that had a backlit keyboard.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Yes, I'd take that hit on battery as the backlit function is always optional, even when the ALS's are operational (apps such as LabTick).

An extra 2.5mm ot tenth of an inch? Not so sure. But then what was the spec on the old MBA? 0.16" compared with the new 0.11" wasn't it? I make that a twentieth of an inch then and that had a backlit keyboard.

I wouldn't trade backlight for a 20% decrease in battery, no way. I use my computer in lit areas about 95% of the time, so 20% concession for a 5% variable, not worth it.

As for the second width question... i wouldn't want it to be a tenth of an inch thicker in it's thinnest as it'd then be double the thickness... hence blurring the line into which is right for me.

For once, I think Apple had my wishes in mind this time... :)

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I wouldn't trade backlight for a 20% decrease in battery, no way. I use my computer in lit areas about 95% of the time, so 20% concession for a 5% variable, not worth it.

You're not understanding the point. You can turn the keyboard backlight off if you want. Therefore there would be *no* hit in battery life. There'll be no 20% decrease in battery life if you turn it off. But for those of us who *want* the backlight and are willing to take the hit (which is nowhere near 20%, btw) can do so.

As for the second width question... i wouldn't want it to be a tenth of an inch thicker in it's thinnest as it'd then be double the thickness... hence blurring the line into which is right for me.

Again, this isn't exactly true. The RevC MBA was .16" at it's thinnest. the new one is .11". 16 is not DOUBLE 11. it's not even 50% bigger. And .16 easily accommodates the backlight. Also, there is still no concrete evidence - at least that I've seen - that says Apple omitted the Backlit keyboard for size reasons. Most are speculating it was for $$ reasons.

Bottom Line: The backlit keyboard is a big deal for some and not for others. Omitting it screws over those of us who like it/use it, but including it (along with the ability to turn it off like it's always had) doesn't hurt those who don't want it/use it.

Getting back on track to the OP:

The MBA will updated again when there's chips that work for it. People are saying Sandy Bridge's Integrated Graphics are supposed to be on par with at least the 9400m, so we'll see if Apple will release machines with just SB IGP's... Re: USB 3.0 - Jobs pointed to Intel's sluggishness in adopting the next-gen standard in their chipsets as one of the reasons Apple's been equally sluggish in adopting it. Intel also announced they'll start including USB 3.0 -- but not till late 2011, so don't expect that in any MacBooks (including the Air) till late 2011 at the earliest.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
You're not understanding the point. You can turn the keyboard backlight off if you want. Therefore there would be *no* hit in battery life. There'll be no 20% decrease in battery life if you turn it off. But for those of us who *want* the backlight and are willing to take the hit (which is nowhere near 20%, btw) can do so.

Again, this isn't exactly true. The RevC MBA was .16" at it's thinnest. the new one is .11". 16 is not DOUBLE 11. it's not even 50% bigger. And .16 easily accommodates the backlight. Also, there is still no concrete evidence - at least that I've seen - that says Apple omitted the Backlit keyboard for size reasons. Most are speculating it was for $$ reasons.

Bottom Line: The backlit keyboard is a big deal for some and not for others. Omitting it screws over those of us who like it/use it, but including it (along with the ability to turn it off like it's always had) doesn't hurt those who don't want it/use it.

So I guess they "screwed over" some people who like a DVD burner too? It's not "screwing you over" it's creating a product for a niche market. Where would it stop? People wanting bigger volume buttons because there are a small percentage of users who want it? I want firewire, but I understand when I get an ultra portable there are concessions. If I want all the features available, I'd have stuck with MBP. Your feature is just one of many that got omitted to create the most power efficient, ultra-portable unit. There's plenty other options in the MAC family if you simply cannot live without backlight.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I just love these threads. Less than a week after a major product refresh we have people asking when it will be refreshed next.

What is the thinking behind this? Planning an advance purchase? If you continuously wait for the next greatest thing you might as well get a typewriter.
I'm with you... some people must live just to post threads like this... :)

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I'm with you... some people must live just to post threads like this... :)

I guess it's a place for them to vent. There's 250+ configurations of Mac laptops available in the current lineup... clearly every model isn't going to work for everyone, or they'd only offer 1 model in 1 configuration... Apple is great at trying to meet everyone's needs, but people will always bitch about this or that.

I thought I'd put together a list of options everyone has:

1) Buy it
2) Don't buy it

Bitching about it won't change what's available. If you want to complain about a feature, http://www.apple.com/feedback/ but I guarantee they did extensive studies to figure out if having backlit keys on THIS model would benefit sales to the point of being worth the tradeoffs, and clearly they made the decision with the majority's wishes in mind. :)

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
So I guess they "screwed over" some people who like a DVD burner too? It's not "screwing you over" it's creating a product for a niche market. Where would it stop? People wanting bigger volume buttons because there are a small percentage of users who want it? I want firewire, but I understand when I get an ultra portable there are concessions. If I want all the features available, I'd have stuck with MBP. Your feature is just one of many that got omitted to create the most power efficient, ultra-portable unit. There's plenty other options in the MAC family if you simply cannot live without backlight.

It's not that cut and dried. This isn't a compromise created due to the MBA being an ultra-portable. This is a feature that was standard on the MBA For almost 3 years that they took away. This has nothing to do with adding in a DVD burner or bigger volume buttons...

I'm guessing they cut the backlit keys as a cost-cutting measure, which is completely different than not including a DVD-burner, which is a weight saving-measure.

They did the same thing with the 13" MB. The late-2008 aluminum base-model (probably as cost-cutting measure - just like I assume it was with the current MBA) had no backlit keys. When the 13"ers became the pros - 8 months later - they brought the Backlight back for all models.

I guess it's a place for them to vent. There's 250+ configurations of Mac laptops available in the current lineup... clearly every model isn't going to work for everyone, or they'd only offer 1 model in 1 configuration... Apple is great at trying to meet everyone's needs, but people will always bitch about this or that.

No, Apple's product philosophy has always been (at least under Steve Jobs) minimalist: creating bare-bones products without feature glut. Jobs' philosophy has been repeated in numerous interviews: Strip the product to it's bare-minimum needs and uses. And then add from there in Revisions. We've seen it many times. They're not trying to meet everyone's needs. They're trying to create great products that people will like, despite not having every bell and whistle.

And that's fine. I own lots of Apple product. I just dislike when they take a useful feature that's been standard for 3 years and remove it to hit a $999 price-point with comfortable margins.

I thought I'd put together a list of options everyone has:

1) Buy it
2) Don't buy it

You're 100% right. But does that mean we shouldn't discuss what can be improved in the next iteration? I can guarantee you that Apple's already working away in their R&D depts trying to make the *next* MBA something awesome. Just 'cause they came out with a new one recently doesn't mean we should all just stop thinking about what could be improved.

I guarantee they did extensive studies to figure out if having backlit keys on THIS model would benefit sales to the point of being worth the tradeoffs, and clearly they made the decision with the majority's wishes in mind. :)

Again I agree they probably weighed it heavily, but in the end I doubt it was about the "majority's wishes". Just 'cause they went with an option doesn't make it the bext choice.

I again assume that no backlight saved them $$$ and will increase the bottom line. But if there's enough push-back (via the feedback part of the website, and via sales) Apple will put the Backlight back in. I've read about the backlight omission in every single review I've read of the MBA. There's certainly a vocal bunch (including me) that's hoping they put the backlight back in.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Always easier to find the 10% whining than the 90% satisfied, because people complain when they're not satisfied, but are generally the minority as is the case here....

fd9

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
What's the point of asking such a question.

This one just came out. :confused:

Well, I suppose the point is that:

(a) The chip in the recent MBA is more than two years old
(b) Sandy Bridge will be available Q1 2011.
(c) SB is two generations ahead of C2D
(d) Intel is supposedly stopping production of C2D chips soon

All of the reasons above seem to suggest that we may see an early spec bump for the MBA, which might be worth waiting for. Of course, there are those who think we'll be seeing C2D long into 2011, so at the end of the day it's just speculation.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

All of the reasons above seem to suggest that we may see an early spec bump for the MBA, which might be worth waiting for. Of course, there are those who think we'll be seeing C2D long into 2011, so at the end of the day it's just speculation.

Either way they're not going to replace within 6 months, it's just not in Apple's behavior. If you think otherwise, please point out when they've refreshed with a new processor family prior to a 6 month refresh... it doesn't happen. Not sure why people think if they post on here what they want to happen that it'll actually happen, lol.

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
First of all, backlit keyboards are a gimmick. The frickin screen is right there and puts off plenty of light to type to. If you can't figure out where the keys are then learn how to type!

I am amazed at the short-sightedness of the majority of the users on this forum. The MBA is an ultra-portable and outperforms most of the performance laptops in many respects. Geez people, give it a rest!!!!

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008

You are missing the point. C2D low voltage variants will continue to be produced for at least another year or so. Sandy Bridge low voltage variants are not out yet and as far as I know haven't even been detailed yet by Intel. That puts them a year to two years away from full production. Get your head out of your ass people!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I never use the backlit KB on my MBP. Not needed for most people.

I don't mind compromise for neat design. If you really do mind it then the MBA might not be for you. I'm sure the new MBPs will suffice when they arrive with Sandy Bridge next June-ish.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
First of all, backlit keyboards are a gimmick. The frickin screen is right there and puts off plenty of light to type to. If you can't figure out where the keys are then learn how to type!

I am amazed at the short-sightedness of the majority of the users on this forum. The MBA is an ultra-portable and outperforms most of the performance laptops in many respects. Geez people, give it a rest!!!!

I agree. Those who need lights don't have proper typing skills. If you feel the keys J and F, they have a bump to tell you where to place your pointer finger. If you still look at the keys that's your own problem. I get by just fine without lit keys.

Also, on my iMac I've never had lit keys... it's a bluetooth wireless keyboard, which apple has sold millions of. Why are you not complaining about them? nobody ever complains about them not being backlit. Ugh why do people complain for the sake of complaining?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

This thing is so fast that I seriously doubt that there are going to be a lot of upgrades on the next release. Whatever it says the bump in spec is on paper, it won't make a big difference in day to day computing. This computer doesn't need to be able to cut through video like a warm knife through butter.

What it does need to do, it does very well. We'll see how it handles Lion, but those anticipating that Lion with require much beefier specs are just hypothesizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.