Ethernet nope, wifi yes. WTF?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by IDMah, Jun 5, 2018.

1. IDMah macrumors 6502

IDMah

Hi all.

So my GF installed one of the those evil "Adobe Flash Updates"
    I've cleaned it up (Avast and Malwarebytes)... I think. but!

Now We keep loosing the ethernet connection. Every other computer in the house
    and we have a few work on ethernet but her iMac will not hold the connection.

I renew DHCP and it assigns it, but then when I check a few hours or a day later
    it's blank again. The Wifi works perfectly, and I've reset the router a bunch of times
    which fixes it for a day or two but then it's back.

Checked the usual places for Viruse/Malware no startup, no plugins
    Doesn't matter Safari or firefox. Cable seems fine, and even switched the ports on the router.
    Just in case. NADA!

Any ideas? Getting annoyed I can't figure this out or find a permanent solution.
    thanks for any suggestions.

2. majurg macrumors newbie

majurg

Honestly, you probably need to do a full re-install. Even though you've 'cleaned' it with various anti-virus programs, there is a very high chance your computer is still compromised, hence the issues you have been experiencing.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

May turn out to be a coincidental hardware issue, but run Etrecheck to see if there's any malware that MWB missed.

4. IDMah thread starter macrumors 6502

IDMah

Didn't see anything in Etrecheck. Except that I was running multiple anti-virus apps. Malware and Avast.
    If I manually set the IP it works so maybe our modem-router is on it's way out...
    Any else you can think to try????

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Have you tried rebooting the router and the Mac, together?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Also, have you tried swapping out Ethernet cables? Could be a coincidence that the cable was going bad at the same time.

7. IDMah thread starter macrumors 6502

IDMah

Yup and yup, several times!
    May be that the modem/router is dying. but all our other machines seem fine. Knock Wood!
    GF is reluctant to re-install OS but that may be the last act of desperation.