Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I have a mac mini....the ethernet port is DEAD.....I have read online that this has happened to others too. The fix I have read has not worked for me.....I have no idea what to do...but I want it back...Clearly Apple has ignored this issue in favor of more EMOJEs......I would like to go back to an older OS but Apple does not permit this. Is there some why to get around this? (and no its not the cable...tried many) Thanks
(I am running 10.11.6)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Maybe the simplest, easiest, cheapest solution is to buy either a USB-ethernet dongle (some have USB ports as well), or a thunderbolt-to-ethernet dongle, and just use it that way.

I recall reading user reports right here that the USB adapter yielded ethernet speeds that actually were a slight bit faster than the built-in ethernet port...

Reactions: bartvk

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Boughtt the Aukey ethernet dongle...worked for a week...mfg replaced it...then new one worked for a few days

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Was that USB or thunderbolt?
If that particular brand didn't work, try another one.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
USB...I don't have all kinds of money to invest in more crap to fix what Apple ruined.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I would like to go back to an older OS but Apple does not permit this

I don't think you've stated what Mini you have. I am now running 10.8.5 on a 2012 Mini that originally had 10.9x installed when I purchased it new, so Apple "permitted" me to do that. However, I beleive 10.8x was the OS that Apple shipped with the 2012 models at launch, so it's compatible.

I have a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter that I use sometimes with my MacBook Air and it works fine, it is one of the models that also serves as a hub. But the 802.11ac on the MBA is so fast, I don't usually bother with it. A friend has the Apple Thunderbolt ethernet adapter and it also seems to work just fine.

I agree that you should not have to spend more money to "fix what Apple ruined". But OTOH, sometimes it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. ;)

Reactions: Celerondon

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The Ethernet port in my old mini died a few years ago. I've been using a:

PLUGABLE USB 3.0 GIGABIT ETHERNET ADAPTER

and everything has been fine since. Great customer support too.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have a mac mini....the ethernet port is DEAD.....I have read online that this has happened to others too. The fix I have read has not worked for me.....I have no idea what to do...but I want it back...Clearly Apple has ignored this issue in favor of more EMOJEs......I would like to go back to an older OS but Apple does not permit this. Is there some why to get around this? (and no its not the cable...tried many) Thanks
(I am running 10.11.6)
Try this. Good Luck.
https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/28/appl...-ethernet-port-on-some-macs-heres-how-to-fix/

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.