Ethernet Port suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Devie, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I've been using my ethernet port on my iMac to share its airport connection to my Xbox 360, been doing so for a good six months...

Now today, I was midning my own business playing Halo 3 online when we have a power falier (Well, my step dad switched the power box thingo off, so it wasnt a surge). Not the first time its happened so meh I restart both computer and xbox to find I'm not getting any connection across.

After diagnosting it all to work out what the issue is, it came to be that under System Pref's, my "Built-in Ethernet" light is Red for some reason. Making sure that it was the Mac at fault, I tried Pinging the Xbox, Pinging a (Vista) laptop, and Pinging itself. All failed.

I have tried my 360 with the laptop and it worked absolutly fine, I used the same network cable as I used iMac > 360.

Another strange thing is that since the power failer, my boot times have been slower...

Are there any other tests I can undergo to diagnose that it is the Ethernet Card at fault? Has anyone ever heard of a power outage (not a surge) causing the frying of a ethernet port??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What is your network infrastructure?

Is the Built-In Ethernet still appearing in System Profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler) under Network?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try "zapping the PRAM".

Hold "cmd-opt-P-R" on startup until you hear a 2nd startup chime.

Slow boot times can be caused by not having a startup volume set (PRAM related too). After you reboot, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and make sure you have the correct volume selected.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's the error message next to the red dot on the status page?

Also, have you tried rebooting since this started happening? The ethernet port on my PowerBook was doing some funky things the other day and I was about ready to drop it off at the Apple authorized repair center we have here on campus, but I decided to reboot it, and lo and behold, it started working fine after that

5. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

The way I have had it set up is; Wireless modem -> Airpot Mac, 2x Laptops and 1x PC, then I have created a seperate network for Ethernet Mac -> Xbox 360.

I just looked in System Profiler... it isn't there. All that is under Network are:

Airport Card
    Firewall
    Locations
    Modems
    Volumes

But, under Loactions after a few things it has:

Built-in Ethernet:
    Type: Ethernet
    BSD Device Name: en0
    Hardware (MAC) Address: 00:11:24:3f:99:ca
    IPv4:
    Configuration Method: DHCP
    IPv6:
    Configuration Method: Automatic
    AppleTalk:
    Configuration Method: Node
    Proxies:
    FTP Proxy Enabled: 0
    FTP Passive Mode: 1
    Gopher Proxy Enabled: 0
    HTTP Proxy Enabled: 0
    HTTPS Proxy Enabled: 0
    RTSP Proxy Enabled: 0
    SOCKS Proxy Enabled: 0

Thanks I've tried that now and it worked, I hope its done some good!

I have tried rebooting... many times. The error message displayed is "The cable for Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in."
    Which it is, I have tried another cable also.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks bad if System Profiler isn't reporting its existence.

I'd try the other possible solutions first though.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Indeed, try the tiger disc.....it might kick it back into gear. I'd try everything I can even if it was simple like repairing.

Bless

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you haven't, try plugging the ethernet cable into something else to make sure the problem isn't on the 360's end.

9. Hudgie macrumors member

10. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys!

Well, great news (finally!) I have it working again to full speed :D.

It started to get worse to the point of it not even switching on! I ran hardware tests before it from the Tiger Disk and came to Error Code 2 FAN/4/8:Hard Drive under the Logic Board failure.
    So in the last few days off it not actually switching on, I finally came across what Hudgie had reccomended using (though, his/her solution was for intel based, it didn't work! So found one for G5 after forgetting completly about it). Resseting the SMC worked a treat! I am now back on Xbox Live and over the moon.
    I was about to call Apple Support (its still under warrenty, got Apple Care) to get a repair to be organized (never could get around to it due to work), I'm happy I didn't I hate tech support.

Thank you all for your help, greatly appreciated!

11. Hudgie macrumors member

Sorry, I didn't go so far as to read your system specs. I just saw iMac.