Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Okay, so we're going to run a ethernet cable from one end of our house to the other, so that me and my brother can have internet on our computers at the other end of the house. The thing is this:

We're going to plug the modem into the router, we'll plug Slot 1 of the router into my mom's computer here at the first end of the house, and then a cable from slot 2 will go to the other end of the house. But then we need to plug into two computers. Can we go into another router from there to split to me and my brothers computers? Will that work?

Thanks alot.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I have no idea if that will work; but have you considered wireless? I know it is more expensive, but after you've tripped on that cord a few times those medical bills will end up costing more. :eek:

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I will not be tripping on a cord, because the cord will be under the house. And yes I have thought of wireless but i've also considered the health hazzard that wireless devices are. If you don't know anything about that you are ignorant indeed. I need an answer to my question, about a router going into a router. That's all I need to know.

Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
1) In this question there is no functional difference between a router (with a 4 port hub) or a router (with a 4 port switch).

2) Simplest scenario -- run two cables to the other end of the house, and wire 2 jacks. So Modem is WAN, Mom is Port 1 and Port 2 and 3 go to the other end.

Second scenario - get a simple hub or switch (not a router) and plug it in at the end of the long run, and plug up to 4 (or 5 or whatever the switch can handle) there. There may be a miniscule speed advantage in machine-to-machine communication at your end, if you use a switch.

The reason you don't want a router on your end is you don't need to have another firewall, NAT or DHCP server -- it potentially will make configuration more difficult.

3) Go easy on calling others ignorant. We don't do that in this forum.

And if you want to contend that a WiFi router outputting 0.25 watts is a greater health risk than radio stations, broadcast tv, microwave ovens and cell phones then back up your contention with reputable links.

Here is my link: An update of a comprehensive review of hundreds of studies, compiled by the Royal Society of Canada

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
CanadaRAM said:
2) Simplest scenario -- run two cables to the other end of the house, and wire 2 jacks. So Modem is WAN, Mom is Port 1 and Port 2 and 3 go to the other end.

I agree, it would seem to me that if you're running one cable under the house anyway, what would be the big deal about running another alongside of it, not to mention it would probably end up being cheaper than buying another piece of equipment, unless you need a ton of cable.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
hhmm

plug the router into the modem. If you need more ports at that side of the house, have a router with more more ports.

Run this cable (plugged into router) under your house, and have a 4 or 8 port switch. Then connect the computers to this swtich. job done.

I don't care much about the health risks of wireless (i.e none), i think it's dog slow! IF you can, use a router with a Gb switch built in, allowing you two to be connected at Gb ethernet. :)

F

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
A cable coming from an ethernet port of another router can be plugged into the WAN or "Internet" port of a second router and split that way. It will work.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
someguy said:
A cable coming from an ethernet port of another router can be plugged into the WAN or "Internet" port of a second router and split that way. It will work.

That doesn't work woth my 2 Linksys routers (one wireless and one wired).
Not only does the Wired router not work but it stops the wireless connection working too.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah....

macgeek2005 said:
I will not be tripping on a cord, because the cord will be under the house. And yes I have thought of wireless but i've also considered the health hazzard that wireless devices are. If you don't know anything about that you are ignorant indeed. I need an answer to my question, about a router going into a router. That's all I need to know.

Thanks

Ignorant? Gee, thanks for that health tip, buddy. Do you not have a radio, cell phone or cordless phone? They send and receive unhealthy wireless signals too...

To answer your question, what you are looking for is switch. A router CAN be used as a switch, just takes a little setting up, but switches are less expensive. So....cable modem>router>long ethernet cable>switch>to your computer.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
macgeek2005 said:

Thanks

You have to be kidding me!!! You are in more danger from your microwave then a freaking wireless router. Not to mention it take VERY high doses and nearly constant exposure to cause any ill side effects.

the wireless router will not hurt you so go ahead and buy one of those.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
bartelby said:
That doesn't work woth my 2 Linksys routers (one wireless and one wired).
Not only does the Wired router not work but it stops the wireless connection working too.
My current setup is a cable modem plugged into a 4 port Linksys router with wired computers from ports 1 and 2, and port 3 is feeding a Dell TrueMobile wireless router which has 4 more computers connected wirelessly to it. All systems in this network share files with one another on a regular basis, print to a printer connected to one of the wired systems, and of course, connect to the net.

Perhaps some routers will not work like this? Never come across one that didn't, though. :)

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
macgeek2005 said:

Thanks

Oh what are you smoking to believe that stuff. Do you own a cell phone? If yes then you should know that the danager from that is over 10x as bad as a wireless router. Also everything around is is covered in this "harmful" wireless radiation. Like Microwaves (one of the worse offenders), Radio wave cover everything. Cell phone wireless cover the nation, Also the what is put out by a wirelss router can not even get though our skin much less to cause any other damage

But that being said I want to see your sorces on this danager.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
after post #4

I am surprised he got any help at all.
as canadaram said, just stick another small hub or switch on the end of one of the cables. You are not going to see any performance hit up to several mbs. If BOTH of you are transfering large video files through a small hub at the same time, then yes but not for normal behaviour.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
macgeek2005 said:

Thanks

LOL - Thats he only thing i can say to that! LOL

Thats a lie - i'll also say i should be dead by now - we have 4 routers, a microwave, 3 cordless phones, 2 mobile phones... I am very lucky to be alive to be honest

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks guys! I should have said before we already have two routers. So we're not getting any unneccary equipment. I am planning though on playing multiplayer games online. Would that be slowed down by the router?

And i've encountered another problem now. I just pluged my mom's computer in through the router just to make sure it works, and I can't log into ebay. That's problem number 1.

Problem number 2 is the other router can't be resset properly. It was set up somewhere else previously, and I don't know the user name and password, so I hit the reset button, but it still asks for it at the setup thingy. So right now that router is basically unusable.

Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
macgeek2005 said:
Thanks guys! I should have said before we already have two routers. So we're not getting any unneccary equipment. I am planning though on playing multiplayer games online. Would that be slowed down by the router?

And i've encountered another problem now. I just pluged my mom's computer in through the router just to make sure it works, and I can't log into ebay. That's problem number 1.

Problem number 2 is the other router can't be resset properly. It was set up somewhere else previously, and I don't know the user name and password, so I hit the reset button, but it still asks for it at the setup thingy. So right now that router is basically unusable.

Thanks

If you daisy chain 2 routers, you need to configure the second router to not do DHCP or firewall or anything, in otherwords, don't be a router.

Otherwise, it will interfere with accessing websites and DNS servers, and if it creates a second subnet within your house, it will interfer with printer sharing and filesharing between your Moms machine and the others.

To properly reset the router(s) and re-configure them, you need to go and download the instruction manuals for that model router and read them. We cannot guess your models and your config, from long distance here.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Since you have 2 routers you could do this
Use the first router as usual and then connect the second router to the first router and turn off DHCP on the second router.

Also for those who dont know the difference from a switch and a hub. When a computer sends a packet of data to a hub the hub sends that packet to every computer connected to it. A switch however will only send that packet to the computer that needs it and not all the computer at once. Switches reduce unneeded network traffic. And a number of other things aswell.

Another side note, you are scared because of the health effects of wifi? What are you using a Chernobyl 802.11g router?

Well here is a diagram (I was bored)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 70

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Okay, I just talked to the tech support guy at D-Link, and he told me what to do to fix the ebay thing. It wasn't an error it was just the page wouldn't load. Now it's fixed. He also told me what you guys just told me about disabling DHCP or whatever on the second router.

So that is what we will be doing as soon as I get the password for the second router. It was connected by somebody in boston a couple months ago, and none of my family know what the password is, so we'll probably have to call the company there and ask them.

I have one more question internet related. I plugged in my computer to the internet here a couple hourse ago (I moved it across the house), and I opened up Doom 3 multiplayer, and there were no servers running. None at all. I had everything configured right, and there were no servers running. The same went for Call of Duty and Call of Duty UO. Is something wrong with our connection, or are there just not many people playing those games multiplayer anymore?

Thanks

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
macgeek2005 said:
Okay, I just talked to the tech support guy at D-Link, and he told me what to do to fix the ebay thing. It wasn't an error it was just the page wouldn't load. Now it's fixed. He also told me what you guys just told me about disabling DHCP or whatever on the second router.

So that is what we will be doing as soon as I get the password for the second router. It was connected by somebody in boston a couple months ago, and none of my family know what the password is, so we'll probably have to call the company there and ask them.

I have one more question internet related. I plugged in my computer to the internet here a couple hourse ago (I moved it across the house), and I opened up Doom 3 multiplayer, and there were no servers running. None at all. I had everything configured right, and there were no servers running. The same went for Call of Duty and Call of Duty UO. Is something wrong with our connection, or are there just not many people playing those games multiplayer anymore?

Thanks

I know on dlinks website they have a section for configuring the router to work with those games so just look around in their tech support KB. Also what kind of router is the second one, because if you dont know the password you can simply press the reset button on it and everything would be changed to their defaults.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Laser47 said:
I know on dlinks website they have a section for configuring the router to work with those games so just look around in their tech support KB. Also what kind of router is the second one, because if you dont know the password you can simply press the reset button on it and everything would be changed to their defaults.

Both routers are D-Link DI-604 Routers. And I also tried the games without the router, just plugging in strait from the modem, and there were still no people online.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
macgeek2005 said:
Both routers are D-Link DI-604 Routers. And I also tried the games without the router, just plugging in strait from the modem, and there were still no people online.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1550
You said that there were still no one online even when plugged into the modem. Check your settings and make sure you are in the Online list and not the LAN (something like that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.