Ethics of giving some Bumpers, others NOTHING

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacYuv, Jun 27, 2010.

1. MacYuv macrumors newbie

I was in the camp who tried calling 3 different times (with elevation to supervisor each time) and was told that a bumper may not be the solution so they aren't giving out any free at this time, and to of course stay tuned.

However, there are a load of people on this forum that claim they have been guaranteed free bumpers (or even some received free apple dollars if they have purchased a case already).

I have already bought a case and a ZAGG protector so at this point I don't care for a new case, but thought that this issue is important to discuss since it is a huge FAIL from a business prospective.

1) Is it unfair for apple to reward some Iphone 4 users a free case and not others simply because of brand loyalty over the years? I have many apple products but I guess I did not make the cutoff. Bottom line--- anyone with an Iphone 4 should be given a free case since most of us have been having to work around this antenna issue just to keep reception.
    2) Bumpers are cheap. If Apple did the right thing and gave everyone a bumper it honestly gain more loyal Apple customers. What is a $3 bumper if joe schmo is now going to be more likely to buy a macbook instead of a dell? And on the flipside, because of this poor customer service decision, Apple has likely lost many customers or at least lost some loyalty from the diehards.
    3) Scripted customer service issues. Why are customer service agents telling some people some things and others other things? If they honestly don't know what the problem is and if I am being told bumpers may not solve the issue so thats why we aren't giving them out, how come some people are being offered bumpers!? And I don't think this is a timing issue since people are still receiving complimentary bumpers over the weekend while I have been hearing the company line regarding not giving them out through that time period.

This is a business FAIL.

And btw, I love my iphone 4 and I'm not having the issues with my ZAGG on it so I don't care for the free case, before you flame me realize that this thread is simply for discussion about customer service decisions over the past few days.

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I think the problem is Apple hasn't documented exactly what they will be doing for people with the reception problem. Once they do, the CSRs will apply that universally to anyone who calls and complains. Give it time, its a Sunday anyway.

3. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Your argument does have some merit. It is really frustrating to hear that others, such as myself, are getting free bumpers while you are not. Unfortunately, it really depends on the supervisor you get and how much of a compelling argument you make. Again, you shouldn't have to do this but this is why I think you and other alike have not been able to successfully get an Apple Bumper for free.

First off, it will depend on the sup.

Second, what did you say? What was your argument and justification for a bumper? Supervisors typically don't give--though there have been instances as evidenced by some members here--a free item just because someone else got it. Perhaps your reception issue, as described to the tech, is minimal while there are others that have called and said they cannot tolerate it and they simple cannot make a call whatsoever and Apple has to do something about. Ultimately, the discretion lies with the supervisor on whether or not he/she is going to give you a free bumper. I do think, however, there must be something wrong with what you are telling them and/or they have changed their policy as of late. Maybe since Apple is going to announce something tomorrow, they have been told to not give anymore out. Nevertheless, returning back to what I was saying earlier: what have you been telling them in order to get a bumper?

4. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing, when I did call (Friday and Sat actually) they told me that they did have a universally applied company line:

No complimentary bumpers at this time until the problem is sorted out.

Thats what they told me. And thats the rub, why are some people getting free bumpers? Apparently there must also be another established company wide initiative that very loyal customers will be given bumpers. Thats a bad business decision in my opinion. Either give all, or give none. The internets are buzzing about this and obviously this sort of selective bumper giving sets of the sense that some of us are inferior expendable customers while others aren't.

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Where have you heard that?

6. Built macrumors 68020

I ordered two bumpers the day I ordered my i4...the 15th...they come this week.

If Apple ends up making this widespread, and they start giving out bumpers to everybody, I'll be on the phone to them so fast for a refund...either that, or they'll be returned to the store.

...AND...NO...I have no reception problems...and really don't feel ANYBODY is ENTITLED to ANYTHING free from Apple. Period.

If the phone is "unseable" for you...RETURN IT.

7. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

The truth. Holding my phone in the bottom left at the antenna band causes a precipitous drop in my signal strength... and that holding the frame in other positions also alters the strength. This has lead to about a handful of dropped calls.

I also run a a business and have just switched my blackberry to this iphone 4 and this has been very annoying to say the least. I was polite the whole time and honestly I never really pressed the issue. Just thought that if they think a bumper could solve the problem shouldn't a bumper be given out for the sake of customer service? I shouldn't be forced to buy a bumper.

Maybe I should have been a little more aggressive or maybe I should have exaggerated a bit, I don't know. I thought I had a strong argument. But I just kept hearing "I empathize with you. You shouldn't need to buy a bumper to make it work. But right now we don't know if its that and it could really just be a software issue so this may all be fixed in the next few days anyway"

8. Excluse macrumors member

"Apparently..." The OP is simply making an assumption that's all.

I'm also in the "I didn't get a free bumper" crowd. I guess the $3000+ that Apple has received from me in the past couple months plus the fact that I actually purchased AppleCare with my iPhone don't matter.
    It's a sad business strategy really.

EDIT: I've been saying the same things as the OP and getting the same responses. "we're sorry... you shouldn't have to buy a bumper... but you can if you want to fix the problem... or just wait for a fix"

9. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

From other threads really. From some of those that have been given bumpers saying that they were told that because of their loyalty, they are getting bumpers. Obviously I do not have any hard-line proof but just what other posters have said.

10. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

No, you are not entitled to a free bumper. Whether you are compensated depends on the individual CSR that you are talking to. It is their discretion. This is the case with every customer service department for every company.

11. camarobh macrumors 6502

Get over it. Just because someone whined to Apple and they got free bumpers doesn't mean everyone will (or should). Stop crying about it and move on.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

Funny how now Apple is saying a Bumper is not the solution, when previously they said it was. Also amusing that Apple won't give out any free Bumpers to fix the issue, but have no problem selling you one for $29.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Why are you re-highlighting the fact that he made an assumption? I was asking because I wanted to know, whether or not he made an assumption.

14. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

When I called I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor because the situation was frustrating. I was nice at all times. I basically told them that I would not be on the phone with them if it wasn't for having the headphones connected to the phone at the present moment. I reminded them that I have spent close to $300 on a device that does not work and the temporary solution that Apple has suggested, purchasing a bumper, is just not going to do it. So, I asked the sup what he could do for me because paying for a bumper was not the solution.

15. omizzle macrumors regular

supposedly they are going to give them away for free tomorrow

16. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Agreed.

This happens all the time with all different types of company. Cable providers are probably guilty of this more then anyone.

You call up, threaten to leave and boom: free HBO. (or whatever, you get the point)

Of course it depends on who you talk to and when.

I don't think it is about how many apple products you own or how big of a fan you think you are (<----not directed at OP). I'm willing to bet a good percentage of those people who got free bumpers said that they were a HUGE LOYAL fan of Apple blah, blah blah, and how much do you want to bet a certain percentage were lying through their teeth and the iPhone 4 represents the first or second apple product they've owned?

At the end of the day, some got a free bumper, others didn't. Big deal. Just don't think that Apple has a litmus test of sorts. They don't.

17. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypoh,
    Hypothetical: If two people are having the exact same issue with their new gadget lets say, and they go physically to a store to return the gadget or hopefully receive something to ameliorate the issue of that gadget... and if the person in front of you in line gets something complimentary for the problem... and then when its your turn you are told nothing can be done at this point... What would you say to that? If people are having the same issue, those two issues should be handled the exact same way. Or then they are making a judgment on who they would rather keep as a customer. A business FAIL. This may have worked in the time before the internet. This will not work now.

Camarobh, I don't want a free bumper. I already said that in my first post that I have a case and a ZAGG and my iphone looks sweet. This thread was to reflect on their poor business decision by Apple. I think the best business decision would be to give everyone a free bumper or no one anything. If you want to flame on posters for wanting a bumper this is the wrong thread.

18. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

19. Loiterer macrumors member

You don't care for a free case, yet you still called three times to try to get it?

20. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

I am having the reception problems big time but I can kinda guess as to what is going on. They are all going nuts working overtime on the weekend all trying to sort this out in seperate departments and until tomorrow they really won't get to a unified game plan of what to do.

21. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

That was before I got my case in the mail. Ordered it snail mail before this all with a wide range of when it could arrive, didn't realize it would come in this Saturday afternoon. Obviously glad to have the protection and a way to work around the antenna issue so now I don't need one.

22. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Not going to lose sleep over any of this. Any thing till I see an official apple response is all here say. Apple will do what they feel they need to do, and no matter what they do, people will be here whining its not enough. The forum will be interesting to read about the entitlement of what people they feel they should get. Bring out the popcorn.

23. MacYuv thread starter macrumors newbie

There are other threads for that.

Was this selective bumper giving a good business decision? I say no.

Bumpers for all, or bumpers for none. Thats it, IMO.

But the other poster above with the cable thing does have a good point, people whine or threaten to disconnect and they get free HBO. The only reason why that business plan for Apple users wouldn't work as well is because we know what other apple users are getting in terms of customer service because of the forums!

24. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

As many people have confirmed we will all be getting bumpers tomorrow.

25. Excluse macrumors member

It was a late post, my bad.