Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
lol @ substandard connector. Every big tech company on the planet uses this 'substandard' connector on their products and it's not caused them any problems but when Apple is told to use it, suddenly it becomes a problem. Apple like to use proprietary connectors in their products because it forces users to purchases Apple's expensive accessories.

The USBC connector is nowhere near as strong and robust as lightning, simple as that. I have never had a lightning port issue on any device. My 2017 MBP, with very light usage, needed the USBC ports replaced on both sides. Anyone with a similar use case to mine will plug and unplug their phone up to 10 times a day to just their car, for carplay, these ports will not hold up to that daily.

Furthermore, no single government entity should be able to force a connector down the throats of the entire world.

Again, regardless of how great a connector someone creates, now we are stuck with USBC until such time as the almighty EU decides otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I would also like the EU, to force Apple to sell their M2, M3, ... chips to other suppliers, so that we can get home servers and other power efficient computers.
Ah, the old Macintosh clone days in the 1990s when Apple almost ceased to exist. Just what we need.

Edit: I owned one of the Mac clones. It was fine but that was a rough time in Apple history.

Last edited:

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
If Apple doesn't like this, they should get ahead of it coming to the USA and be ready to lobby against it. Or even lobby to have something passed in the USA that protects Apple's hold on their hardware and software to create resistance of it working in the EU. If GDPR can start making its way to American laws, any tech regulation from the EU can make its

Fosters innovation? I am not sure about that.
Fosters more regulation is more like it.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
The USBC connector is nowhere near as strong and robust as lightning, simple as that. I have never had a lightning port issue on any device. My 2017 MBP, with very light usage, needed the USBC ports replaced on both sides. Anyone with a similar use case to mine will plug and unplug their phone up to 10 times a day to just their car, for carplay, these ports will not hold up to that daily.

Furthermore, no one government entity should be able to force a connector down the throats of the entire world.

Again, regardless of how great a connector someone creates, now we are stuck with USBC until such time as the almighty EU decides otherwise. :rolleyes:
The EU didn't force USBC on the entire world, Apple did. Apple already makes multiple SKUs of iPhone, countries outside of the USA already get iPhones with SIM trays for example, Apple chose to make USBC universal.

Apple played a big part in the USBC design spec - they could have insisted it be more robust, while I generally agree that lightning is a bit stronger it isn't that much stronger and I have had the lightning connectors fail on several iPhones. Additionally we got stuck with lightning which Apple barely improved, they seem to have no motivation to improve the connector anyway so I don't see the big deal on making it a universal standard.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
People are being too blinkered in their view on this. The mobile phone has become more than just a mobile phone, it has now become a device that in most part is an essential part of how society functions which means the iphone goes way beyond just being a mobile phone. Companies of all nature are now requiring people to install company app's on their phone. Medical services, utility companies, banks, retailers, local authorities, it is becoming increasing difficult to live and work in today's society without the use of a mobile phone. Therefore as a result, due to it's importance in today's society, it cannot be a closed system controlled only by one company who can do as it pleases.

This attitude/behavior might be ok in the US, it certainly is not in the EU, hence why the EU is asking for Apple to be more open.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Yeah, I remember Windows getting markedly better after IE was actually forced to compete on merit, usability, stability, and consumer preference, and Microsoft was forced to abandon its broken, horrible core and web standards got a huge push forward in interop to the benefit of consumers everywhere.

Government intervention is rarely ever a good thing, neither is unchecked industry with no motivation to innovate.

lol Europe really wants to kill the whole business model of Apple. Does anyone remember the browser selection screen of Microsoft Windows?

Reactions: Gudi and Shirasaki

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Replaceable batteries will mean the average time to replace your iphone will go from 2.5 years to 6 years!

Apple will fight it tooth and nail! You know it
Replaceable doesn't mean easily swappable (with a phone back you can remove and replace without screws and glue) and I don't think it should. I think this is a mistake since it could compromise the phone integrity, I would much rather that Apple be mandated to replace batteries at cost for 5 years post date of sale since that ensures the phone can be built more rigidly but also ensures customers can buy new batteries without paying an exorbitant cost.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
What does it mean to open your “hardware ecosystem”?

Apple already provides AirPlay, Airdrop, NFC access via Apple Wallet, standard USB-C, access to biometric services and sensors, etc…

Unfortunate how the EU cannot compete in tech
Volkswagen and Audi are busy buying battery electric vehicle technology and platforms from the Chinese, since their SDV (software-defined vehicle) programs like CARIAD aren't making progress quickly enough.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
That’s not how Europe works though. We love to regulate everything down to the 100th foot note and that’s why it takes a million years to approve anything new

And another million years to approve the new version when it comes along.

Still waiting for the EU to fix the godawful mess they made of cookie permissions.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Interesting move, and potentially discriminatory.
Is it just 'big' tech being forced to do this, or anything digital? I'd suggest they ask the EU, why they don't include Mercedes, Ferrari and Audi et al, into their list of companies not allowing competitors software/hardware to be used in their devices.
The majority of car manufacturers (as one example) don't allow any software within their electric cars and fossil fuel cars to be installed or used.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
can’t wait to see everyone mentally contort themselves to defend billion dollar tech companies and think that’s normal in the comments 🍿
Let me know when you create something with tons of R&D and when it hits the market, you can't benefit off of the product.

Reactions: nrose101

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
can’t wait to see everyone mentally contort themselves to defend billion dollar tech companies and think that’s normal in the comments 🍿
It isn't about how much Apple is worth. Any business should be able to run how it wants. Let the free market decide if they are succesful or not. Telling a company they can't prioritize their own products over competitors has to be about the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Who said that?

Government intervention is rarely ever a good thing, neither is unchecked industry with no motivation to innovate.

It's incredibly sad that the EU has had to intervene because Apple had no actual competitive or economic incentive anymore to move beyond technology from 2010 in 2023 and the consumer had zero influence in it because Apple had become so powerful "consumer choice" had no effect/sway. So, this is actually a healthy move if done right to avoid continued intervention by creating a market dynamic that may actually allow a credible competitor to come around so this needn't be another mandate next time around.

I agree once company gets to a billion they should have no rights and exist only to be plundered and abused by the whims of politicians. It’s only right.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Many people here only think in (space) black and white.

Regulations can be very useful and help with progress. In the EU I can use the internet provider I like because the cable owners must let others companies use the cables for rent.

While I agree that apple should profit from its inventions, that doesn’t mean that it should be able to abuse a monopoly.

I should be able to use other services without being hindered by Apple.
Why can’t I use GeForce Now properly on my iPad for example?

Why do you think you have some inherent right to the work of others?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.