EURIKA!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
doesn't look like Apple patented it though...

Apple's mentioned in the body

arn

suavo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
it doesnt say it's submitted by apple of course. cause they re not as smart as you are.

i researched for hours to come up with this very credible clue.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
scroll to description number [0032].

notice that it doesent mention anywherer that it can run mac os. Although it does say it can run various companies' UNIX products.

So i guess that doesent rulle out it running OS X!

Q

QTboy

Wait

Originally posted by suavo
it doesnt say it's submitted by apple of course. cause they re not as smart as you are.

i researched for hours to come up with this very credible clue.
But then again, aren't patents awarded to individuals, not companies. That's why you have to sign those forms when you're hired that your patents *become* property of your employer.

suavo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
the proof is in this patent application

if you dont believe the dockable lcd pda/mac patent [posted above] then look at this patent application, again submitted for other inventors from cupertino, CA. apple is referred to in the same way.

clearly it s claiming the movie nesting technology applied in finalcut:

http://appft1.u what do u think arn? [Edited by suavo on 01-06-2002 at 04:43 AM]

G

GM555

Such a product would make sense and would fit with other rumors and Apple's teasers both.

It would also make sense strategically for Apple. They are in an apparent deadlock regarding processor speed and fail to compete here with the Wintel world. So the best workaround is innovative products, which aren't available yet in the PC world.

Also Apple is much more consumer benefit orientated than most hardware companies. So where is the benefit for most consumers of 1+ GHz, as compared to a desktop PC that doubles up as ultra light notebook!

So my prediction is: the MWSF won't be about CPU speeds at all, but about this new thing, with minor speed bumps for G4's (max. 1 GHz).

reyesg4

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
This is the best "proof" i have seen for an iPad.

Basically a tablet iMac that has a basestation that has all the wires on it and a metal strip that powers/charges the iPad. I just wonder if it will have all the firewire/usb ports on the base and if it will be able to send info wirelessly to the basestation when not connected. Because if you have to remove all the wires to make it portable, that would suck. I think I can go to sleep now happy.

Cisco

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Sorry to be a skeptic...

but where's the "proof" that this has anything to do with Apple. Apple Computer is cited in the body of the application along with numerous other hardware makers/devices. I believe this is standard practice, the idea being to anticipate any possible future use of your idea by anyone so you'll be entitled to cash if they use it. These patents don't show up if you run a search of patents or trademarks filed by Apple.

That's not to say, however, that Apple couldn't aquire the rights from someone else...

lfrey1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
hold on a sec...

Guys, page through the drawings (pictures link on the bottom).

You'll see in one of the cycling schematics that it clearly can load "windows system" and "non-windows system".

I think this is pretty intriguing, and yes, individuals file patents on behalf of their companies. Corporations (i.e. S-corps) are not allowed to file patents in common.

lfrey1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
And I quote...

--SNIP---
"The microcomputer may be any one of several commercially available products, such as the Intel.TM. 86286, 86386 or 86486 processors, Motorola Corporation's 68030 or 68040 processors, as well as several others. If the workstation is to be battery powered, then low voltage (3V) low-power microprocessors should be used. The microcomputer/controller 44 may be embodied by several means."

--SNIP--

It also references Newton, on the same page.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
yeap, but most of them come from California. I saw one guy from Cupertino, actually where Apple campus is, but is that mean that these are the upcoming products? But it,S just a guess, could be something else too!

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Not an Apple patent...

This is in all liklihood not related to Apple Computer in any way. This gentleman has several patents stretching back over the past 10 years. Some quick research leads me to believe he works for Matsushita TV in the U.S.

Even though patents are awarded to individuals, they are generally "assigned" to companies, and this one clearly is not. You can look at the other Apple patents and you'll see that Apple is the Asignee.

In the end, I don't think this patent tells us anything...

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
I don't think we can tell whether these patents have anything to do with Apple, however, we cannot rule that possibility out... Less than 14 hours until we'll know (for this macworld expo newayz)...