Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

European Commission Joins Investigation of Apple's Flash Exclusion Policies

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The New York Post reports that the European Commission has taken an interest in Apple's long-standing exclusion of Adobe's Flash from its iOS devices, as well as its ban on Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone compiler and similar tools designed to allow non-native applications to be recompiled for the iOS platform. The paper was the first to report back in May that U.S. regulators were considering an inquiry into the situation.
In June, the FTC opened an investigation into Apple's decision to ban developers from using other companies' tools to develop software for its mobile devices. Apple also shut out Adobe's Flash video technology from its iPhone and iPad.

According to a source, the European Commission recently joined the FTC probe into whether Apple's business practices harm competition.

The investigation could last another four to six months, the source said.
Meanwhile, a number of people have been working to unofficially bring Flash to the iOS platform, with "Frash" making its first appearance for jailbroken iPhone 4s earlier this week. Frash remains a very early-stage conversion of Adobe's Flash 10.1 technology, however, and is thus not yet capable of displaying much of the content, such as video, that many consumers are looking for.

Article Link: European Commission Joins Investigation of Apple's Flash Exclusion Policies

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
seriously?? thats apple's right! how is there any ground to this investigation? they have no case, apple with NEVER EVER EVER EVER use flash on their iDevices (thank god). and if the EU doesn't like that, then they can ban iDevices, im sure the europeans will be thrilled. i like my iPad battery to last 10 hours, not 2, thank you very much. and yay im the first post!

Comment

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
. . . . followed by (after winning lawsuit) "European Commission suing Apple over extremely short battery life and buggy new iPhone issues."

What's next, someone suing because the iPhone doesn't run a full version of Photoshop? Or how about one of the other plug-ins not currently running? Gimme a break!

Comment

iansanderson

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
i haven't been bothered by my iphone not having flash. HTML5 is where everything is going anyway.

Comment

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I can't decide if this is Apple being clever, and blaming issues on Flash, or if Flash truly does suck.

Flash CONSTANTLY crashes Safari on my iBook, and it blames Flash 10. I could be here browsing MacRumors, and a banner causes a slow script.

It never used to do this before the big feud. Interesting timing? Not sure...

Comment

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Sometimes I feel that the EC is becoming dictatorial.

All these kinds of regulations are a form of a shakedown racket. Either the threat of a regulation is used to elicit payoffs, or the act of regulation means that every election after that the politicians can come calling on Apple for money with the implied threat that they will turn the screws tighter if Apple doesn't pay up.

The nature of government is very much like that of the mafia. They claim its for "your protection" but really the group that will do violence to you if you don't pay is the government itself.

Comment

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
If it can't show video yet, what can it show? All the wondeful ads that Flash has populated the internet with? This alone is the reason I'm happy Flash isn't on iOS.

Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Sometimes I feel that the EC is becoming dictatorial.

^this

Having said that,

I'm not sure how much use flash would be. Sure, Flash video would be great (or even the ability to play FLV's with the in-built video framework) however games and media designed for a computer simply doesn't work on touchscreens.

In addition, OS X versions of flash have always been a major resource hog, hence the battery usage comments from Apple.

I've got no problem with it (personally I would only use the video players) but think it may be best to just allow the flash => iphone exporter that Adobe made. At least that way its native code.

Comment

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
I can't decide if this is Apple being clever, and blaming issues on Flash, or if Flash truly does suck.

Flash does suck. The problems you describe are ones I've seen for the last decade in various situations.

The really sad thing is that Apple offered quicktime server for free in the 1990s, and yet all these stupid companies picked proprietary and expensive flash to serve video-- something flash has never done well.

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Good. Someone needs to stand up to them. However, since iOS is the AOL of 2002, then I don't think it really matters. Apple has lost the fight against Android, and will be a marginal player in the mobile field, so as others have said it really does not matter.

All the matter is the winner in the mobile OS field, Android, has access to Flash.

Comment

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I guess the FCC and this other commission should investigate on Tesla Motors not using petrol engines, huh?

Comment

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Apple has lost the fight against Android

REALLY?!?! yeah, you must be right, iPhones are barely selling. as a matter of fact they even had to lower the price because they cant get the damn things off the shelves. seriously, think before you type. :rolleyes:

Comment

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Funny enough, the only real thing Andriod has with Flash is the ability to play flash movies. The issue being that the Flash games and stuff are often programmed only to really work on computer hardware. So stuff that has software keyboards and no actual mouse, including androids, are often left looking at the game, but not playing it.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I don't think that the EC issue is with the browser plug-in, rather the terms of native app creation.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I find it amazing that any government organization needs to try and step in and dictate what features a company puts in their products. It's a business decision on Apple's part and if they're wrong let the sales show it. No developer should be forced into adding technologies they don't want to support. It's silly.

BTW... I would love Flash support on the iPhone and iPad... but I don't think it's the end of the world without them.

Comment

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
i haven't been bothered by my iphone not having flash. HTML5 is where everything is going anyway.

I haven't either. As long as developers continue to switch over to CSS3/HTML5/JS flash will matter less and less.

I personally couldn't care less wether my iPhone and iPad have flash or not.

Once IE9 comes around with much better support for CSS3/HTML5, Flash use on websites should drop by a significant percentage. As long as users upgrade IE7/8 to IE9.

Comment

qbert

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Good. Apple is wrong to ban one of the most widely used and accepted technology on the web TODAY.

If you don't like Flash, you can uninstall it. But why not have the freedom to choose?!

:rolleyes:

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i guess this is more about Apple not allowing developers to use Frash transcoded to native iOS Apps than about not allowing native Flash on the iPhone.

If this is the case than I'm with the EC because the transcoded Apps are native iOS apps and it's not Apples business how developers made them (through C++ or through transcoding). It was expected that this will piss off the EC.

Allowing Flash on the iPhone is a different beast because here Apple can make a good case that it's unsafe, slow and such.

Comment
Jul 29, 2008
All these kinds of regulations are a form of a shakedown racket. Either the threat of a regulation is used to elicit payoffs, or the act of regulation means that every election after that the politicians can come calling on Apple for money with the implied threat that they will turn the screws tighter if Apple doesn't pay up.

The nature of government is very much like that of the mafia. They claim its for "your protection" but really the group that will do violence to you if you don't pay is the government itself.

Could not have said it better. If more people saw things this clearly, the problem would not exist. (But they don't, and it does.)

Comment

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Good. Apple is wrong to ban one of the most widely used and accepted technology on the web TODAY.

If you don't like Flash, you can uninstall it. But why not have the freedom to choose?!

:rolleyes:

you have the freedom to choose the device/ the OS/ whether to jailbreak or not etc. Nobody is coming to knock at your door and make you buy or install anything

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.