Even iPod "experts" can be stupid

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ivan P, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

So I wasn't happy with the case I have on my iPod touch (I got it a year ago with my 1st gen, and it's starting to wear out...it's a Belkin leather one if anyone's wondering...), so I went into Next Byte to look for a new one. If people don't know what that is, it's an Apple reseller in Australia, and considering the only actual Apple Store here is on the other side of the country, it's really the only alternative apart from buying online.

Anyway, I'm in there looking at cases, but the only ones for the iPod touch are the exact same as the one I'm trying to get rid of. I decide to look at the iPhone 3G cases instead as my partner also has an iPod touch and they bought an iPhone cover that works fine on it.

At this point, a lady, the manager no less (I've bought a lot of stuff, including two iPods and an iMac from this store, so I vaguely know some people) comes up and asks if I need assistance. First, she sternly tells me I won't be able to get an iPhone 3G cover because the iPhone is "thicker and slightly longer than the iPod touch"; while this may be true, it doesn't mean the iPod won't be able to fit into it, as I've damn well seen it happen. To shut her up, I ask about when she expects the next shipment of cases for the 2g touch to arrive. Despite the fact she's manager, she has absolutely no idea, so she calls another employee over.

"Do you know when the cases will be here for the iTouch?"

At this point I seriously thought "f*** this, I'm getting out of here" and told her I'll put up with the case I already have for now. Ok, you might think I'm over reacting about it...initially the iTouch thing bothered me, and then it didn't, but now it is again; when it's used by someone that's supposed to convince people into buying Apple products - and the MANAGER no less - that just screams cluelessness on their behalf.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm confused as to why people really care. Many people refer to it using that name.

3. Sil3ntP8nd8 macrumors newbie

Argh!!

Its iPod Touch, not iTouch.... That pisses me off.

4. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd have thought someone that managed a store dedicated to selling nothing but Apple products and accessories would know better, quite frankly.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've got the first gen iTouch and I use a invisible skin. It hasn't been too bad. Application is a little bit annoying though.

6. YodaEXE macrumors member

Logitech made a second gen of the keyboard? Cool!

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

1) an iPhone is bigger, so a case designed for it may not fit as snug on an iPod touch.

2) A manager is not supposed to know everything. They manage. This means they delegate certain tasks to other employees.

3) iTouch is a very popular abbreviation. I don't see why people have such an issue with it. So it's not official, so what.

8. BoSac macrumors newbie

also annoyed by "iTouch"

Yeah, I can't explain it, but I'm also in the camp that hates when ppl call it the "iTouch." I guess it's kinda the same as when ppl say "warsh" instead of wash, or "warter" instead of water, or "fustrated" instead of frustrated. Saying these things seems to indicate a certain lack of knowledge, intelligence, etc. ("seems to indicate," not "certifies them as a moron"). :-D

Irrational? Perhaps. But it doesn't change the fact that it annoys me.

9. therealdt macrumors regular

smh

It's an itouch, right? Ipod touch, the 'pod' is silent.

10. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I don't know why people have such a big issue with this. I suspect a lot of people on here are young though...My boss actively calls it an ITouch and i could rather care less. I really honestly think this comes from the Iphone...let me explain......

It's not called an Ipod Phone, it's called an IPhone.
    Therefore, when it's called an ITouch instead of an Ipod Touch, it's totally wrong and stupid....

/sarcasm

11. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I know that, if you re-read my first post my partner uses an iPhone case on their iPod touch without any problems.

When they work behind a register in the store and is supposed to help people when purchasing iPods or trying to get service for iPods, then I think they should know what they're called.

It's still incorrect, and for those that are pedantic then of course it would be a problem. In a professional setting such as a business then you'd expect them to use it's proper name.

12. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

It bugs me too, how hard is it to say - iPod Touch.

By the way, iTouch is an Irish SMS Advertising Company (also very annoying :p)

http://www.itouch.ie/

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Actually, if you're going to be that pedantic, it's iPod touch (with a lower case T) ;)

14. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I really think it's OK to shorten the name or otherwise give it a nickname.

I mean, think about the name Mac. Originally it was Macintosh. The nickname was so widely used it became the official name.

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I totally agree. People saying, "iTouch" instead of "iPod touch" annoys me to no end. :mad: And to the OP, yes, at least a store manager should be able to call a product by it's proper name. There is no such thing as an iTouch. :mad:

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's an iPod for goodness sake!

I'm in the boat with others that hate it when people call it an iTouch, that's so stupid. It's an iPod, that's what it is, an "iPod" that has touch capability. Actually I have no problem with people calling it a "Touch" but to call it an iTouch is just plain stupid, it completely changes the name. You might as well call the iPhone an iTouch because the iPod touch and the iPhone are basically the same device accept one is an iPod and the other is an iPhone.

Changing it to iTouch is just lame. :p

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think that if Logitech and whatever other company hadn't beaten them to the use of the name "iTouch" for their products, Apple might have very well called the iPod touch an "iTouch," and we'd all be saying what a cool name it was, and how smart it was of Apple to come up with it!

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I agree. Setting aside the iTouch comment, a manager isn't required to be a walking inventory catalogue. The employee she asked might have been the person who receives all shipments and therefore might know off the top of his/her head the exact time frame of the next shipment. A general manager wouldn't and shouldn't necessarily know the details of all that, as they've got far more responsibility than that.

For example, when I was a sales manager for Borders, I could tell you where a display of books on an endcap was. I couldn't tell you when the next drop shipment of "Da Vinci Code" was coming in. If you asked me, I'd probably check the computer or ask the inventory manager. Likewise, if you'd asked him where the new David Sedaris book was, he might have grabbed me to answer before he went hunting around the store for the display.

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

how hard is it to say cannot instead of can't and would not instead of wouldn't?
    NOT HARD AT ALL but we abbreviate those and i dont see why its a big deal if u abbreviate iPod touch as iTouch

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Shouldn't it be the i'Touch then :D
    I try not to get hung up on things like this - people can call it what they want as long as they get their message across (the same as BMWs get called Beemers, or Mercedes Mercs or any number of other shortened versions of product names)

21. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Actually, it's iPod touch. So many people just can't seem to figure that out. iPod with the capital "P", the product name rarely if ever is capitalized, hence touch... and not Touch, iTouch, iPod Touch, ipod Touch, etc.

It's the iPod touch.

Simple.

22. intempo808 macrumors regular

I agree. iPod nano's aren't called iNano's, and the iPod classic isn't called an iClassic, so why should the iPod touch be called an iTouch. I mean, it sounds kinda perverted tbh, but it doesn't bother me though. It's just an abbreviation.
    :rolleyes:

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I say water like 'warter', but that's because I'm from New Zealand.

Yes, I know, but I meant it was something that may actually be valid in some cases, especially if they are snug ones (such as silicon sleeves). I don't think it's something worth berating the manager over.

I was referring to the manager knowing the inventory. But you're right, the manager should know what it's called - but I don't think iTouch is that big a problem. As Phil A. mentioned, it's not so much about abbreviation as it is a nickname.

24. Aeroplane macrumors member

I carry a knife in my pocket since I got mugged, next time someone calls the iPod touch and ITOUCH or an Itouch or an ItOuCh or an iToUcH or an ITOuch or an ITouch or an ItouCH or any other combination I'm going to jab them a few times, TEACH THEM A LESSON!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

25. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

It's not called an iTouch because this is an iTouch.

and yeah, I hate it when people should know about things at places like that and don't...

(a guy at best buy once told me a 7600gt is better than 2 4870's in crossfire >.>)