Ever Get a Red Light Camera Ticket By Mail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, May 14, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I got one in the mail today. :mad: :eek:

Fine was only $50. I've heard of others having to pay hundreds of dollars.

Attached Files:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

LOL :D

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My wife got one. They're BS. She was in the intersection trying to turn left on a green, and here in this area, people run lights, so she was never able to turn left until it turned red. Was she supposed to backup??

From what I hear, there's a way to spray your license plate, so these cameras won't work.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

All the more reason for the state to get some.;)

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are not BS if they are set right. Some(ok maybe most) towns may set them too sensitive or shorten the yellow, but if set right I support red light cameras.

Mythbusters tried all that stuff. Didn't work. Only way to beat these cameras is to go above 170 MPH to beat it according to Top Gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8

8. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's be real. These are revenue generating devices. The politicians who have these installed couldn't care less about "safety". I live on Long Island, the summons came from Arizona and the payment is remitted to Ohio. You can pay online but a $4 processing fee will be added.

And while I ran the red, I and many others do it because the wait at that light is 7 minutes.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Devil's avocate here ...

Yes, I received my Welcome to Raleigh ticket within the first two days of my arrival to the great state of NC. I was so happy to hear the fine was $50.00 and it would not hit my record. In CA they're hundreds of dollars and they do hit your record.

That said, this isn't twitter. :p :D :p But really, I agree with you that they're a way to generate income and even though you have to wait 7 minutes the proximity of that cyclist to your car is fairly disturbing. Next time stop on red and call me. I will entertain you and before you know it the 7 minutes will be over and you'll thank yourself (and me) later.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The ones we have in aus take two pictures. The first is triggered if you cross the line after the red. The second triggers a very short time later to see if you continued through the intersection. They wouldn't pick you up in the scenario you convey.

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Admit it, rdowns - you just wanted to show off your TL! :p

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wasn't there, but my wife doesn't break laws (that would be me, if anyone), so if she said she was past the line in the green and then had to turn left after the red, that's what happened. She got two pics, but you couldn't tell what the light was. My other problem with this is that you really can't go to court and fight it, since you get the ticked weeks after the fact. Anyway, she now knows what to do if she's ever in Fairfax, VA, and can't turn left in time.

13. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Yup, got one here in Chicago.

I was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right-on-red. Apparently, the camera knows more about traffic laws than I do, because right-on-red was perfectly legal in that intersection at the time.

Tried to fight it, they rejected it on the basis of "I wasn't stopped long enough to be considered at a complete stop before making the right turn". Meaning, in English, that the 3.4 seconds or whatever of being motionless (a complete stop) was insufficient to indicate I stopped and yielded for purposes of making a legal right-on-red turn at that intersection.

I attempted to ascertain exactly how many seconds of "a complete stop" were needed, but it got me nowhere.

150 bucks. I don't hold a grudge or anything, but adding these cameras just to make a buck seems tacky. Why is this our biggest civic problem? Shouldn't we be rounding up the drug dealers and rapists and all that kinda stuff?

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Wow - under that interpretation everyone here would get busted. We even have a name for it - the 'California Stop'. As long as I'm going slow enough to use first gear to accelerate after the turn is made, I'm good to go! ;)

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Haha! Thank you! I've been telling that to my friends! They all laugh at me....until I say, "it's a Civic" (you can't go more than like 10 mph MAX before hitting 5000rpms).:p

16. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Busted by mythbusters ;)

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

In a rare moment of intelligence, my state legislature banned red-light cameras. They are revenue producers, and really aren't very good at that after the companies that run them get their cut. Depending on which studies you believe, they don't really help prevent accidents, and may increase them as people slam on brakes to avoid getting caught on camera.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well that's horse****. I assume they tie the car to the drivers license based on the registration? So what if someone is borrowing your car and they run a red light, you get the black mark on your record and the subsequent insurance increase?

19. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That's one of the main reasons they got banned here. That, and not being able to "face your accuser". In a lot of cases, if you take a ticket to court and the cop doesn't show up, you get cleared. Lots of folks started using that against the cameras.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Wish they'd do that here. We have them everywhere here. Revenue is all it's good for IMO.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're all over the place in Switzerland. In addition to red light cameras they have speed cameras basically everywhere. I got one for going 50 km/h in a 30 km/h zone (200 francs...oops) and another for going 72 km/h in a 70 km/h zone (F you, Switzerland).

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

We have 2 intersections here for red light camereas. Always nervous that they will flash on me when i go on a yellow

we also have alot of speed camereas that will also send you a ticket for well speeding

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Never... although New Orleans city is now implementing more speeding cameras than actual red light cameras... that oughta slow me down in the mornings.

24. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I understand giving a ticket for 20 km/h but not for 2...:confused:

I tought the police had a 10 km/h rule...

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's Switzerland. I gave up questioning their "logic" a long time ago.