ever move from 15in to 17in hi res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renault4, Mar 28, 2008.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

I have been thinking along these lines, placing value on the increased real estate. I already move around with a 15in MBP, so I dont think the increase in weight or size will be too much of a problem.

I'd be interested in hearing of anyone's experience in this regard, pros and cons.

thanks

2. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

well...

... I went from traveling with the 15 inch to taking the 17 inch on the road as I am just hooked on the increased screen real estate and better clarity of the screen image.:apple:

3. driverdave macrumors newbie

i went from 15 to 17 high res. i'm just upset i didn't do it sooner.

my eyes aren't the greatest, so i was a little worried about the high res readability, but it's not a problem at all.

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I did it a year ago and never looked back. The size and weight differences are minimal and certainly a worthwhile trade-off for the screen real estate.

Edit: Ok, not quite a year ago. Whenever the first high-res models were released. June 2007, I think.

5. zamboni52 macrumors regular

When the MBA came out I bought it and thought it would be a more portable addition with my PB G4. However, after I week I realized that I needed more processing overhead and a bigger screen. I exchanged it for a 15 MBP and used it for a week. This had a higher resolution than my PBG4 and was basically the same size albeit a little thinner. Then I saw a 17MBP Hirez with LED backlight and I was sold. The laptop is bigger but not by much...sure and inch here and an inch there and a pound there, but overall I don't notice it much at all. But at 1900x1200 it is definitely worth it! The text and everything is just crisp and sharp. I also use Aperture and plan to use FCE4 to do some video editing. I could probably use it in a plane if you flew Midwest where every seat is a business seat, but on planes I use my iPhone for movies and music. Hope this helps.

6. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, that is impressive on many fronts; not only have you covered the full spectrum of apple products to get where you are (ok, technically not the macbooks), but you took the time to procure, use and then return the different units until you found what worked for you. Thanks for your answer!

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I went from a 15" powerbook G4 to a 17" hi-res MBP last year. I REALLY do not know how I managed with the smaller screen for so long...

8. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I did pay some restocking fees for the returns, but the MBA and the 15 MBP (after 1 exchange) were perfect and didn't have any of the issues (yellow screen, hum, etc) reported in this forum. I guess paying the extra for the first hand experience was worth it to me since I have exactly what I want and don't have to ask the "what if" question. I would play around with both side by side at the Apple store and see if you can make you decision from there. Good luck:)

9. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, that is an excellent strategy. I have visited and called my nearest Apple Store a few times now, but they seem to be taking their time getting hi-res 17in display models into the store.

10. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Can anyone here tell me what are the main (dis)advantages of LED 17" over the previous Merom 17" panels in terms of performance and battery life?

Thanks guys!

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

Well I don't know about the disadvantages, but here are some advantages. The LED is instant on (no need to warm up) and it has lower power consumption (longer battery life).

12. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

What about the performance (contrast ratio, brightness, etc...)?

13. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think the LED screen is brighter the the previous version. I have a LED and a friend of mine has the previous version. The LED is much better IMO.

14. skorpien macrumors 68020

As steveza said, the LED is brighter than the CCFL LCD. As for the color gamut, somebody with a Spyder2 did a comparison and noticed that the LED LCDs have a slightly larger gamut than CCFL.

Mind you, most of the comparisons that have been done are on older Merom MBPs so their displays are probably worn down, so I'd say the differences are pretty negligible.

I think where the LED shines is the increased battery life due to a lower power consumption and the fact that they don't wear down like the CCFL does. LEDs stay bright for the entirety of the product's life from what I've gathered online.

15. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I'm moving from a 15" MBP LCD to a new 17" hi-res. The hi-res display in the store looks incredible. I've been in 2 Apple stores in the past 2 weeks and both had the new Penryn 17" MBP w/ the hi-res display in stock. But in both stores the only configuration option with the hi-res was the 2.6 ghz and 200 GB 7200 rpm HDD. I didn't think going from 2.5 to 2.6 ghz was worth the extra $250, so I ordered one from Apple.com.

16. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

can you say something about the purposes for which you would use this that are influencing your decision? For example, are there specific things you do (photo-editing/video editing, etc) that drive your thinking, or is it an issue of real estate/resolution, etc?

thanks.

17. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

A little bit of both. I'm doing more stuff with photos and video and want the faster processor, bigger screen and higher resolution. The new MBP is also upgradable to 4 gb of RAM (which I'll do right away) instead of 3 gb in my current one.

18. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

will you still have your 15" when your 17" arrives? some side-by-side photos as well as impressions would be helpful to many I suspect...

19. shiato storm macrumors member

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Moving from a 15" to a 17" mbp was the best move I've made in my life! Just sitting back with the 17" mbp on your lap with all that screen estate, you can do more at the same time and even room for running parallels + movie + webpages! :D

21. shiato storm macrumors member

my only wonder is using the 17 on the road and how it compares to the 15...wish they would up the res on the 15 to 1680x...

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

One surprising part of the newer hi res 17" mbp is that it feels much lighter than the 17" 2.4ghz SR mbp that I owned last year. I think its due to the screen being alot lighter with the led with no inverter needed. The first thing I noticed when I opened up the 17" mbp was the screen. It feels light as a thin piece of styrofoam that opens up!!

On the previous ccfl 2.4 sr mbp 17" I owned when I was lying down the screen would close down when I had the 17" upright, not a problem anymore, the screen doesnt even come close to coming down anymore even when I have it in almost any angle.

The 17" penryn hi res runs so damn cool as well, its such such a pleasure to use and especially the gorgeous screen!! Runs very cool, screen is light as hell and doesnt close or come down, and feels surprising not much bigger than the 15" in dimension wise yet when you open up the mbp it feels so big.

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about your new machine. And it's a great machine. But I picked up a hi-res 17" 2.6GHz from an Apple store last night and some of the information you post is just plain wrong and misleading:

1.) It is EXACTLY the same weight as the previous MBP 17". There is zero difference. Even Apple's specs say so, don't you think the would be boasting if it's lighter at all?

2.) The hinge is EXACTLY the same. Compared to a 15" it will slam closed on your finger if you tilt the back end up enough. This is neither good nor bad, it's just the way the design is.

Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but you seem to want to post great things about your new machine even when the information is wrong and make someone make the wrong decision about a purchase.

24. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I agree 100% with this. The 15" with a 1680x1050 display would be the perfect laptop for me, small enough but with enough resolution. The 17" is just a beast for traveling or using on your lap. The newest one has just a great display but it's still a beast compared to the 15".

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I knew someone would argue about this but to me it does feel that much lighter. I remember what the 17" sr mbp felt like and when I first picked up the penryn model first thing that surprised me was how light it was, because I knew what to expect it since I did consider the 17" as a beast as well. I have a 2.4ghz 15" led SR mbp right now with me and picking it up compared to the 17" feels exactly the same in weight. I remember the 17" SR though being a bit heavier than the 15" mbp that I have.

I have to disagree with you, I always lay my back against the wall on my bed laying down in a sit up position and I have my 17" against my lap that is in a 90 degrees angle and the screen is at an angle where the top of the screen is almost facing my head and doesnt even give a hint of moving and is very stiff to close or open. If I did that with the 15" mbp sr model it would move a bit down but not close all the way, but with the 17" sr mbp that I had last year there is no way I could even do this and the hinge would give away and was very weak. But of course if I'm holding it almost upside down the screen then would come down.

But either my 17" has a tighter hinge than other 17" mbp, I dont know, honestly cant say if all 17" will be like this but I think the lighter screen has something to do with it even if the screen is slightly lighter.

Its ok, everyone has their own opinions and I dont take any offense. But I am not just boasting about the 17" just because I just bought it. If it was a horrible experience I would have said it and kept the 15" sr mbp just as easily.

Plus I read in various other forums with people experiencing similar experiences as mine about the 17" feeling alot lighter than the previous model + the screen not coming down on its own because of the weight as well.

And a thing to note is I hate to misinform people expecially in purchasing a $2k+ machine. But the number 1 reason I love the new penryn model mbp's are the heat. It just runs that much cooler and finally after selling and buying around 4 different mbp since the first 1.83ghz mbp core duo, I have a mbp that is nearly perfect or perfect for me and will stick with this model for a good long while.