Ever travel with your dog?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Mar 16, 2015.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

My dog is often sick after boarding. How much of a pain is it to take your dog along for a trip on the road?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

By "road" do you actually mean a driving trip? No big deal at all. It's easy to find pet-friendly hotels these days thanks to sites like hotels.com ... I recommend always calling the hotel to double check.

If you actually mean air travel, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very small dog that can be carried as a cabin pet. Riding in a crate in the cargo compartment is usually very traumatic for a dog and I don't think it's worth it.

Either way, I'd recommend looking for a dog sitter so your pet isn't exposed to quite so many other dogs.

4. TITNTUFF, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

I just stop every hour and a half for a walk. Usually at a rest stop.

Only applies to car rips. I just stop every hour and a half for a walk. Usually at a rest stop.

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, driving, probably I-95, and she is 50 pounds so air travel is out. I thought it might be fun to bring her, unless there are problems I haven't thought about.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You know your dog best. How does she handle being in the car? If she's an energetic dog you may need to scout ahead and find parks to stop at every few hours. I have an Australian Cattle Dog (very high energy) so when we go on trips it's crucial I get her nice and tired before we set out. If it's more than five hours of driving I'll find a place along the way to stop and play.

Sometimes if we leave our dog alone in a hotel room she'll bark, which is something she doesn't do at home. As I said earlier, my biggest piece of advice is to be ultra-sure that the hotel takes pets. Don't rely on website info. Call the front desk and write down the name of the person you asked about pet policies.

7. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Thanks for that. I will call for sure. The barking thing concerns me since she is high strung. But I sometimes take her to work and she doesn't react to activity next door. Only the UPS man.

8. Huntn, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My long hair dachshund used to ride on my shoulder, face into the wind drooling on my sleeve in my 1975 Fiat Spider. On a cross country trip, it was fun sneaking him into a hotel room, although some hotels accept animals theses days,we try to avoid those because of many deodorized rooms which bug me. ;)

dachshund-longhaired.jpg

9. dec. Suspended

dec.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No way,

First off, I do not want to stay at a place that allows dogs, the last thing I want to hear is dogs barking through the night because they're in a completely different place. I've camped before and had to deal with dogs barking because of the sounds of nature. I'd rather not experience that in a hotel.

Plus, I like to do things with my family that are no dog friendly, i.e., go to DisneyWorld. I'd rather not have a dog stuck in a hotel room for 8 hours - she'd probably destroy the place and/or make a mess.

Kennel - that's where shes going.

11. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

We took our dog most every trip. We camped most of the time but so long as we were not flying we took her with us. She traveled well and I have no doubt enjoyed camping with us more than she would have in a kennel.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

To everyone that read this, please don't ever think of sneaking your pet into a hotel that doesn't allow them. Many people have serious pet allergies and can become very sick from spending a night in a hotel room that was supposedly pet free (from experience).

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually that was a contrary statement. It was not fun, but stressful, and only done as a last resort. Now that there are several hotel chains that are pet friendly, the issue is resolved, if we ever traveled with a pet again, which as a rule we don't.

Anyone checked the cost of a kennel these days? The price seems to have skyrocketed over what I remember 20 years ago.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Every hotel I've taken my dog to (3.5 star or above) has presented me with a strict pet policy at check-in. Usually it says that if they get a phone call about my dog being noisy, I get one warning. If they get another phone call, we are immediately evicted no matter what time it is.

I wholeheartedly agree with your other post, though. Nobody should bring a dog on a trip just to leave him locked up all day in a strange place.

15. rundevilrun macrumors member

My wife and I travel quite a bit with our 3 Boston Terriers. We get a pet friendly vacation rental house at our destinations as it's usually cheaper than a hotel + kennel and we don't have to worry about disturbing people in other rooms. On the road we almost always stay at a La Quinta, they have a generous pet policy. Our dogs are also crate trained and we have crates that are quick to assemble and break down so we don't have to worry about them destroying anything. Overall it's less stressful on them and us than dealing with kennels.

16. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

We moved to FL from KY a couple years ago (have since moved back, long story) and took our at that time 7.5-year-old, ~85 lbs black lab. She rode in the moving truck with me, part of the time in the passenger floor and part of the time on the bench seat, head in the wind any time the window was done. Other than her farting the entire way, we had no issues. :D Then again, she always LOVED riding in cars!

17. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

There is nothing like a dog fart. LOL. We have 2 pitbulls, one is 14 years old and has a gluten allergy. When he gets something he shouldn't eat watch out.:):):):):)

Smell will take paint off walls

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I realize that :D. I'm just asking people not to smuggle their pets into a hotel nowadays.