Evernote Fan Club

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by HE15MAN, May 31, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

This app is really awesome! I first started using it on my iPhone and it is even better on the iPad.

It is in my opinion the best way to store notes, images, business cards etc and have them synced to all your devices.

If you use Evernote, tell us other fans how you use it, what you use it for, and what imaginitive ways it works for you.

Thanks

2. PearlJam macrumors member

I used it in March during a 6-day break in New York. It was my first time in the city and without Evernote I probably would've taken a big pile of printouts giving me directions to all the stores and attractions. Having it all on my iPhone was awesome.

Sent from my iPad

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Evernote is great. I keep all my documents and web clippings in it.

I also recently discovered Egretlist which is an iPhone app that syncs with Evernote to create to do lists. I'm hoping this app gets ported to a native ipad app soon.

4. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I tried it when I first got an iPhone, but didn't think much of it. The green bulky interface (which still exists) put me off. I just wanted to take notes, and didn't really need to sync between devices. In the end, Amazing Notes was what I went with for about a year.

However, since getting the iPad, I've started using Evernote on the iPad, Mac, and iPhone. Its great keeping my notes synced between the devices. I have separate notebooks for things relating to Uni, or my blog, or Japanese language... But I also have a simple "Notes" notebook which acts as a general notes folder but also a place for To-Do items.

I really like it. My only issue: I have to go on the Mac or .com version in order to create a new notebook. Quite annoying.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've used Evernote for quite some time on my MBP's and also on my iPhone. The iPad app is great, but I look forward to having a full text editing compatibility with the MBP client in the future. Right now I can create notes on my MBP, which the iPad client refers to are in "rich text." While I can read these on my iPad, I can't edit them.

6. PearlJam macrumors member

I just noticed today that on the iPad there is no option to mark notes as Favorites, therefore notes cannot be viewed offline. That's a -ve for me as my iPad is wi-fi only. How can this option be on the iPhone but not the iPad?

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

EverNote is nice (have it on my MBP, iPad, and G1) but I think that the mobile versions are a bit clunky.

8. dav macrumors 6502

Can someone give me a basic explanation of Evernote or link me to a site that does? All I get are these vague explanations..

I use VooDooPad for random text notes.. is it similar?

help.

9. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

www.evernote.com Tells you all about it there :)

10. tdream macrumors 65816

I don't like their terms and conditions. Basically they can nose around your data, so I will never use it. Even though it looks great. I just don't trust it.

11. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Is there a reason you just don't have your notebooks set for offline synch? Or if you have gigs and gigs of notes have a "offline" notebook you move notes to you want offline. Personally I have over 6,000 notes in three notebooks, all synch locally on my iPad.

12. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Their TOS isn't any worse then the vast majority of sites out there. If you are concerned with a host in the cloud (evernote, google, etc.) nosing around your data for anything other than anonymous aggregating to better provide services or to prevent illegal activities then Web services are not for you and you better have your own servers and surf with TOR on I am afraid you are going to have a very hard time finding a service in the cloud that you can use that doesn't do the same thing evernote and others do.

13. PearlJam macrumors member

If you could explain this procedure I'd appreciate it. I've just spent some time trying different methods but am no further forward.

To recap, I have the desktop app on my iMac; it contains some notes. I sync my notebook to the Evernote server. On my iPhone I sync with the server, see the notes in my notebook and I mark these notes as Favorites so that when I can't get wi-fi or I'm travelling and have data roaming switched off, then I can still see the notes offline.

I can't see any way to do the same with my iPad. I sync with the server, the notebook and notes download onto the iPad but unless I'm connected to wi-fi I am unable to see the contents of the notes and cannot mark them as favorites.

14. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Launch Evernote on the iPad and in the bottom right corner there is a satellite looking icon. Touch it and on the Synchronization settings window that pops up touch "Offline notebooks" to get a list of your notebooks on the server. Touch (to put a check mark next to) the notebooks you want to download/synchronize with the ipad for offline access (when you don't have wifi).

Be forewarned the first synch may take awhile if you have a lot of stuff in a notebook you are selecting for offline use, but subsequent synchs are just changes so go a lot faster.

To mimic the favorites on the iPhone you could create a favorites notebook and move (on the web, on your desktop, or edit note and change notebook on the ipad) notes you want to synch to the newly created favorites notebook, but I just synch a few notebooks and be done with it.

Hope that helps.

15. PearlJam macrumors member

Thanks Treebark but I stumble at the first hurdle - "offline notebooks" is not shown.

Do you think the problem comes from the fact that I have a free account, not premium?

16. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

I didn't think that was a premium feature but it must be. I joined premium mostly for ssl support and attach files to notes, I think it is $45 per year???

17. kaelell macrumors 6502

I checked on mine ( i have free also) and yep if you click on go premium one of the benifits it mentions is being able to save offline.

18. PearlJam macrumors member

Pants!! Let's hope the iPhone app doesn't lose this function in a future update.

19. ltsching macrumors member

Web clipping

Can someone please explain to me how I can use web clipping with the iPad Evernote app? I've searched the net, but can't find anything difinitive. Thanks.

20. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

You could use the webclipper thats on the evernote site. That's the one you drag up into your bookmarks bar. I've found it slow to load though so most of the time I select the content I want on a site on Safari iPad and go + Email Link, then paste in the content and sent it to my evernote email address.

21. enigma2k macrumors regular

how can I add the bookmarklet in safari on the ipad? or do I have to make it on my desktop and sync it then?

22. JulianL, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010

JulianL macrumors 65816

I thought that it already had. Have you not upgraded the iPhone client for a while? If you still have favourites working then you definitely shouldn't upgrade but you're probably living on borrowed time. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point they change something in the client <-> server protocol that breaks the old favourites mechanism, maybe not deliberately but it is so definitely part of their strategy right now that offline notebooks is a premium feature that they'll probably assume in 6 months or so that no one is still running a client capable of handling offline favourites.

- Julian

You need to make it on the desktop and sync it.

- Julian

23. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

The iPhone app is the same - premium account required for offline. You just don't notice it on the iPhone because your iPhone is always online - either wifi or 3G.

24. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I just started using Evernote also to store all important receipts that I scan and have copies of. :D

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I do the same, but since most of my purchases are done online, I simply grab a screenshot and add it to Evernote.