Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Evernote.jpg
Productivity app Evernote has slashed its premium subscription rates amid reports of a flurry of key staff departures at the startup.

An annual membership for the productivity suite now costs $42, down from $70, provided customers pay the fee in one lump sum. Monthly premium subscriptions remain at $7.99 per month (almost $100 over a year), so the deal is worth looking at if you're a long-time fan of the app.

According to TechCrunch, the productivity app has lost several of its most senior executives in the last month, including CTO Anirban Kundu, CFO Vincent Toolan, CPO Erik Wrobel, and head of HR Michelle Wagner.

Evernote has not commented on the departures, but one source claiming knowledge of the matter told TechCrunch that "Evernote is in a death spiral... Paid user growth and active users have been flat for the last six years and their enterprise product offering has not caught on."

Evernote used to be ranked as one of the most popular productivity apps in the App Store, but its popularity has gradually waned with the emergence of rival (and free) alternatives such as Apple Notes, Google Keep and Microsoft OneNote.

Article Link: Evernote Slashes Premium Subscription Rate Amid Reports of Company 'Death Spiral'

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
It stopped becoming my main note taking/productivity app when they restricted the number of devices I could use it on without paying. I realise the need for companies to make money but Evernote also didn't react fast enough when Apple's Notes app became significantly better.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I gave it a fair shake, but it never grabbed me. Better alternatives available. Sorry Evernote, move up or move on.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
As a former Evernote Premium user (4 years ago or so), I got tired of the UI furniture being constantly rearranged. As soon as you’d got used to one on-screen UI layout and note tagging/filing system, the company would roll out an all new, all ‘improved’ system and around the loop I’d have to go again.

Their security failure that led to account details being compromised followed by the competition improving (OneNote and OneDrive is a powerful combination for professional/student use, Google Keep & iOS Notes good enough for lightweight uses) and the writing was on the wall from then on.

I understand their desire to push people to Premium, but the basic free tier was far too limited in terms of app functionality and the number of concurrent devices it could be used on, plus no offline syncing and barriers were thrown up that might have allowed people to develop a habit they might consider paying for.

I’ll be sad to see them go but the product/application and the company are not what they were during their heyday under Phil Libin.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I was a long time user of Evernote and there's a lot to like about it, but I always found the organisation of notes using tags to be confusing and prefer the book / tab / page organisation of OneNote.

Add to that the weak support for handwritten notes (having to use a separate app and not being able to mix hand-written and typed content in a single note) and I dropped them several years ago in favour of OneNote.

I have kept looking back at it in the hope they had improved it, but it doesn't really seem to have moved on at all

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Sadly, OneNote and Apple Notes have been 'good enough' for the last few years and on your Mac/PC and mobile device - and free.

Faced with that, no-one could ever compete.

Personally, I never got on with Evernote. It seemed very complicated and like a poster mentioned above, had a yearly redesign.

I hope that they find a buyer, but it's hard to see who. Maybe Google?

It's sad for Evernote, but I'm more worried that no company can ever thrive in the shadow of Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon & Microsoft.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Nothing quite beats a nested folder with txt and image files. Which is why I don't like using apps, either the company goes broke or loses interest. Even first party solution by Apple and Google are fleeting and they change their mind. In quick order, you get stuck with a year or two of notes in a proprietary obsolete service or app. Which means a decade or so down the line you have a hole in your records.
That's not for me. I just wish Apple made it easier to have a file system solution on iOS. Sure it might not be fancy and pretty like, but you still put in meta-data if you wish; jpg and txt files are not going anywhere anytime soon.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I use Good Notes and even though it has some ugliness, it is very good. Being able to search hand written notes is a fantastic feature. I tried Evernote. Thought it was very basic.

Reactions: Brenster

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Reality one: investors probably put millions into this elephant and wish for a return on their money. An elephant, who I am confident has far too many calves under her trunk, considering she’s a notes app. In that sense in its current state elephant is appropriate iconography for her.

Two: I’m all for competition in the note taking space (do I really want to pay an additional fee for it, though?) but anything more than $2 per month for a subscription to a notes app is asking too much of the user. And it would also need to be a compelling upgrade over Notes to warrant a recurring fee. My guess is they saw people were not repeating their subscription so decided to squeeze as much as they could from each new user and said philosophy backfired when people saw choice out there. Perhaps if they want a long future they should focus on enterprise and features enterprise feel they need. Otherwise Evernote should be a nimble team of 25, not an elephantastic heard of 250+

Last edited:

ndalum

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Oregon
I have been using Evernote premium for man years. Someone please explain to me how Apple notes is considered an alternative. Can I make stacks and store all my PDFs and have them searchable?

If EVERNOTE fails, how do I transfer my years and years of content?
[doublepost=1536142389][/doublepost]
I was a long time user of Evernote and there's a lot to like about it, but I always found the organisation of notes using tags to be confusing and prefer the book / tab / page organisation of OneNote.

Add to that the weak support for handwritten notes (having to use a separate app and not being able to mix hand-written and typed content in a single note) and I dropped them several years ago in favour of OneNote.

I have kept looking back at it in the hope they had improved it, but it doesn't really seem to have moved on at all
Is OneNote only partnof Microsoft Office or can it be purchased separately? How would one transfer from Evernote to OneNote?

Reactions: Brenster

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
A few years ago I needed handwritten notes and used GoodNotes on iPad. Today it would probably be a lot better with Apple embracing the stylus ... sorry... the pencil.

Nowadays I just can't see a large enough market for notes apps beyond stantard apps like Google Keep ou Notes ou whatever. You would have to run a quite lean ship.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Reality one: investors probably put millions into this elephant and wish for a return on their money. An elephant, who I am confident has far too many employees under its trunk, considering said elephant is a note taking app. In that sense in its current state ‘elephant’ is appropriate iconography for her. Should be a squirrel.
No need to change to a squirrel. All they'd need to do is change the color of the elephant from black to white. That would make it both ironic and prescient.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
When they started charging I as a low scale user moved to OneNote, finally taking the time to learn how to use it properly. Since then it worked so brilliantly that it has now become my resource bible, both personal and business (easily grouped) and working brilliantly with my MS Surface. Having demo'd it to others I am seeing more people use OneNote as well. Across devices and so easily arranged / searched through, it is a fantastic app.

I am grateful to Evernote as without the push I'd never have made the jump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinmania

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have been using Evernote premium for man years. Someone please explain to me how Apple notes is considered an alternative. Can I make stacks and store all my PDFs and have them searchable?

If EVERNOTE fails, how do I transfer my years and years of content?
[doublepost=1536142389][/doublepost]
Is OneNote only partnof Microsoft Office or can it be purchased separately? How would one transfer from Evernote to OneNote?

OneNote can be used for free with a free Microsoft Account (the apps are also free for iOS, Android and MacOS. For Windows, there are two versions: A free one which is the "strategic" version and which is pre-installed on Windows 10 and OneNote 2016 which is part of Office 2016 / 365 and which has been declared as a legacy version: The next version of Office won't include it).

Microsoft provide an importer to migrate from Evernote to OneNote (download from here)

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Monthly fees is what destroys apps, who would ever pay monthly for a note taking app, almost as expensive as a service like netflix that offer so much more

Reactions: timber

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Monthly fees is what destroys apps, who would ever pay monthly for a note taking app, almost as expensive as a service like netflix that offer so much more
To be fair they need an income and subscription seems like the best way to achieve that. But yes, they do need to provide a compelling reason to subscribe and at a sensible monthly fee of one or two bucks at most. They’ve hundreds of employees and I’m sure owe millions to investors. They grew too big and probably lost control of what they were about. It happens.

Reactions: martyjmclean

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I love the Evernote program but started cringing when they increased the premium fees. I left it for OneNote and used that for almost a year and hated OneNote so much that I went back to Evernote.

However my disdain for the premium pricing continued to bug me. I'm not a heavy user of Evernote in terms of daily use, but I kept a lot of important stuff in there that I might need to reference at various times.

Recently I converted all of my Evernote stuff to Apple Notes and canceled my premium Evernote subscription.

The subscription model bothers me a lot with many pieces of software. It gets ridiculous having a sub for this, and a sub for that. I've been paring down all the places where I have a sub for something because it feels like I'm being nickled and dimed to death on my budget.

My notes are more for storage than daily functionality which is why I switched to Apple Notes, at least for now.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I love the Evernote program but started cringing when they increased the premium fees. I left it for OneNote and used that for almost a year and hated OneNote so much that I went back to Evernote.

However my disdain for the premium pricing continued to bug me. I'm not a heavy user of Evernote in terms of daily use, but I kept a lot of important stuff in there that I might need to reference at various times.

Recently I converted all of my Evernote stuff to Apple Notes and canceled my premium Evernote subscription.

The subscription model bothers me a lot with many pieces of software. It gets ridiculous having a sub for this, and a sub for that. I've been paring down all the places where I have a sub for something because it feels like I'm being nickled and dimed to death on my budget.

My notes are more for storage than daily functionality which is why I switched to Apple Notes, at least for now.
I share a friend’s Netflix subscription and cut cable a few years back. Besides my ISP, my only other subscription is 99c for iCloud. I know.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
It stopped becoming my main note taking/productivity app when they restricted the number of devices I could use it on without paying. I realise the need for companies to make money but Evernote also didn't react fast enough when Apple's Notes app became significantly better.

I hate companies that don't give me everything for free. It's just mean.
[doublepost=1536145545][/doublepost]
I would never „subscribe“ to a physical note pad so this is pretty much the same NO from me

A physical notepad has a one time cost (making and delivering it to you) but you have to buy more when you run out of storage.

A cloud notepad has ongoing costs (electricity, security from hacking, internet connection) before even considering pros/cons of cloud vs paper.

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
As a former Evernote Premium user (4 years ago or so), I got tired of the UI furniture being constantly rearranged.

I agree. In fact the UI today seems more convoluted and less productive in many ways than it did several years ago in earlier versions.

I still use Evernote because it’s a great way to scan and archive old statements, documents, receipts etc. But as there is less and less paper in our lives these days, this use-case is slowly fading away.

it was never a “note taking” app for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.