Every new MacBook Pro release is the same...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JTK28, Nov 10, 2016.

1. JTK28, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

JTK28 macrumors member

Ive been a member here for a little while now. I find it funny (and kinda sad) that every time Apple releases a new MacBook Pro its always the same thing on these forums. You basically get three kinds of threads/people.

1. "PLEASE HELP! Im about to place my order but im not sure which options i should get? Should i get more RAM or the better CPU or both? I know that this question has been asked a million times and i could've used the search button or even google to find the answer, but im lazy. Also I dont know if i should get the chicken sandwich combo or the hamburger combo for lunch. I like when people lease tell me how to spend my money and what to do."

2. "This new MacBook Pro is awesome. Apple has done it again, they are so great. If Apple sold cancer, id buy the stage 4 upgrade. My computer is only 6 months old, but this update is a must have so i put in my order. I did the build to order with all the best parts. It was $10,595, but to me its worth it. i need to get the best specs to post on macrumors and take dick pics. "

3. "What the F, bro! Apple sucks. All i want is a "Pro" computer with 97 gb of ram and uses the new skynet processor. Such bull crap. I hate Apple, but that's all i use. If the next update doesnt have what i want. I'm never buying apple again. I mean it this time. I've said it the last 5 updates, but this time i REALLY mean it!"

I've also noticed that each type of thread/person is a stage in Macbook Pro ownership.

The first type of person is usually a newbie, its their first purchase and they are all excited to buy their first Macbook Pro. Its like when you go out on a first date and you're all nervous and unsure of yourself.

The second type of person is usually someone who has used their MacBook pro for a year or so and they just love Apple. This is what you call the honeymoon phase, its like you've been dating for a while and you start thinking "this could be the one! I'm in love!"

the third type of person is the person that has owned apple products for years and they are just jaded. Its like the person thats been married for 20 years and the idea of divorcing and dating other people sounds kinda nice, but they're like, "i don't know. I'm old. This person doesn't mind when i fart either. Meh, we'll just stay married."

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

3. Groovemaster17 macrumors member

This might be my favorite piece of the internet all year.

4. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Good one, enjoyed reading it. Loads of truth.

5. JTK28, Nov 10, 2016

JTK28 thread starter macrumors member

Just as a side note, ive been through all three stages myself.

Right now I think i'm somewhere between stage 2 and 3. I was really excited to about the new update and i wanted to love it. I was even all ready to place an order. But after sleeping on it and thinking about it. The new update is really okay at best. Nothing about it is horrible, but nothing is really a must have either.

I havent' quite made it the jaded level yet, but i have noticed ive been disappointed with apple lately. They are no longer the innovative company that every other company was jealous of. They've become very vanilla and bland. Also, dont get me wrong. Im not really criticizing Tim Cook, either. There's nothing wrong with simply being competent, but at the same time the thing that made apple special was being different.

I think i share the same sentiment as many others here. i just expect more from apple.

6. khrystafir macrumors newbie

khrystafir

7. cmaier macrumors G3

Been using macs since 2006 or so, (and a brief period before that when i was designing powerpc's for apple's use) member here from 2007, and if I had to pick a category I'd say I'm type 2 (which isn't to say that I haven't been harsh on some of apple's decisions/behavior/products in the past, but I think the new MBP is great).

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'm stage 3. Jaded.
    Just bought a maxed out 15" 2015 after I found it to be a better option for me.

Just can't seem to leave OSX.

Great post. Good laugh

9. brynsmith23, Nov 10, 2016

brynsmith23 macrumors regular

Great Post,

After 9 years of Macbook Pro's and about to get a new 2016 model, I'm still in-between 2 and 3.

I like to think I'm realistic. it is just a laptop, and having said that i think its a damm good one.

It can be a little pricey, but after having 2 (2007 and Mid 2010) Macbook Pros that have lasted without any hardware issues and software that hasn't let me down....

Not going to change for the sake of a few more hundred dollars.

10. JTK28 thread starter macrumors member

What exactly do you think is great about it? Just curious.

Im trying to remain impartial and wait to actually use one before i make my final decision about it. However, my initial impression was luke warm. My biggest gripe is the loss of the MagSafe. I was all ready to throw away my 2009 MacBook Pro and get this version, but the price was a real put off to me. Not to mention the fact that the touch bar seems gimmicky. I dont know. I may still get one, we'll see.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    I agree with you completely. I'm still using my 2009 MacBook Pro and i love it. Its just really dated at this point and i wanted an upgrade. But i'm just not sold on the touch bar and lack of magsafe. Not to mention the bump in price.

I'm not saying the update is bad at all. Lets be honest, any update/upgrade to a computer is a good thing. I just dont know if i cant justify paying the apple premium anymore when there are a lot of good alternatives now. I'm still on the fence about getting one or not. Im actually hoping the rumors are true and they update it again in 6-8 months with the 32 gb of ram. If they do that, i'll be all in on that one for sure.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

i'm happy about the USB-C ports - a lot nicer plugging things in than USB-A. I'm intrigued by the touch bar, and as a developer in my spare time I'm looking forward to taking advantage of it with my own apps. I got the 2TB disk, which will be good since I'm beginning to bump up against the 1TB in my current model. Magsafe doesn't bother me since I've never come close to yanking my machine off the desk or sofa. Screen looks like it will be a nice improvement over the current model. Bigger trackpad will be an upgrade for me (big hands). Also, my current model has the mechanical trackpad, but I use an external magic trackpad at work, and I prefer the new style.

12. JTK28 thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you about USB-C. I dont mind the lack of ports. Im still using USB 2.0, so i honestly can't want to upgrade to USB-C. So, donglegate doesn't bother me one bit.

I also agree with you on the bigger trackpad. That was one of the things that i really liked.

13. leman macrumors 604

Your observations are accurate, but I don't think that these are stages. Just different perspectives.

14. JTK28 thread starter macrumors member