The Thrill is Gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CheMillan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. CheMillan macrumors member

CheMillan

I've been a diehard Apple user for over 20 years and for the first time I'm very disappointed with Apple for leaving desktop users behind like we no longer matter. The new MacBook Pro is uninspiring, uninteresting, boring, and almost insulting. As a diehard Apple fanboy I've never had anything nice to say about Microsoft…..until now. The Surface Studio has the "WOW" effect compared to the new MacBook Pro "WTF" effect. I realize these are two very different products but the point is Apple has lost its Mojo and me as a customer.

2. GoodOne macrumors regular

I've been a Microsoft-Fan for 20 years but I also love Apple Products. I run Windows on my MBP and love the combination. Microsoft makes some great Hardware e.g. I love my Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse.

But I don't get the WOW-Factor about the Surface Studio or the Surface book. I checked out the Surface Book in the store and I was not impressed, the Screen was nice but all in all it looked ugly.

I'm SOOOOO looking Forward to the new MBP just the same as the Retina MBPs came out. So I don't get it why Microsoft is suddenly so cool? Just because they make some good products doesn't mean they're on par with Apples excellent products? For me, there is nothing comparable when it Comes to build Quality, astethics and Overall pleasure to use.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

He is (correctly) saying that it isn't much of a pleasure to use a machine at full price that is 3-4 years outdated like the Mac Pro currently is, hence the comparison with the Surface Studio.

4. MarcBou macrumors regular

The WOW effect of the Surface Studio disappears when you realize you are not a designer/painter/architect and you have no use for that thing besides drawing some flying penises on Microsoft Paint.

5. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Is it against the forum rules if i post penis pictures from the film super bad ? :p

6. MarcBou macrumors regular

Hopefully we'll get some shiny high contrasted penises emojis on our touchbar.

7. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Luckily you will probably get the thrill back a year from now after realizing how much **** Windows is

8. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I think people who say this have no idea what Windows 10 is. Have you ever used the most recent iteration? It's much better than what it was initially.

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

Starting at $3000 it is a dedicated tool for professionals. Not for kids fooling around.

10. HediSlimane macrumors newbie

The surface studio is poor ergonomics. Try using it for a long time. I know I would prefer any other tablet. At first look it might be wow it is a full screen touch screen, but there is a reason why it has not been mass produced. If you ask me Microsoft is trying really hard (read: clutching at straws) to be relevant as a new maker of hardware.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Yep, the MacBook Pro is a very disappointing desktop.

12. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

If you're comparing a Surface Studio to a tablet, then you're not in the market to buy it, let alone use it. I have had several friends who are in the business to buy a new computer, and they had nothing but praises about it. Also, the early reviews seemed to be overwhelmingly positive.

Microsoft has taken the role in innovation. What has Apple done? Increased prices, put in inferior CPU's (Newer, but lower quality), smaller batteries, inferior keyboard, nothing but Thunderbolt ports.

13. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

7 year itch maybe? Buy a Dell and play with it while away on business trips.

14. onVacation macrumors member

onVacation

What? No. The Studio is not a tablet.

It's basically a very well designed Wacom Cintiq that also includes the computer you need.

15. HediSlimane macrumors newbie

If you draw or operate by fingers on the Surface Studio, the fact that you can't really rest your elbows-whereabouts comfortably and subconsciously will cause aches. It is simple human factors. Try hovering your hands over your screen for an hour or so. In that case, a Wacom or even a tablet would do a better, comfortable job. That's why I feel that they are clutching at straws and rushing to "innovate". The idea isn't really refined at all.

Back to topic, it is true that the Macbook Pro is taking the piss. But I guess they are taking the word 'laptop' seriously by going as thin as possible by removing ports. Also, it's Apple and they do what they want. That said, after all the complaints, watch the rest of the competition do the same.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    Oops. The point is if I want to draw or use a touchscreen I would prefer a tablet itself or a Wacom. What does it mean for me? The Microsoft Studio is innovation for innovation's sake.

16. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Idk if it's the most recent but I use my friends XPS 15 a few times and it just doesn't compare to osx

17. Unfair1623 macrumors newbie

God I laughed so hard

18. onVacation macrumors member

onVacation

It's not about the touchscreen, it's about the digitizer. Look up Wacom Cintiq. It's the same, just without the computer, Wacom sells just the screen.

19. MarcBou macrumors regular

I know, I'm a professional video editor, so I want a machine for professional purpose not to play arround, but the thing is the Surface Studio it has a very reduced niche, so I don't get why we compare it with the Macbook Pro.

For the professionals I mentioned before (and some others) it's probably a great machine, but we are talking about "every use laptops", so it's more logical to compare the MBP with the Surface Pro.

20. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Wouldnt MBP vs Surface Book be a better comparison, since Surfacae Pro is at the end of the day a tablet (a powerful one) with a type cover

21. MarcBou macrumors regular

Yeah, exactly. I got confused with the name :D

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If Apple made the Surface Studio, you could absolutely bet your bottom dollar there would have been a torrent of complaints.

'Why does a desktop display need to be that thin?? Tim Cook has lost sight of the professional users. Could've used the space for a more powerful processor/graphics card/insert component here.'

'Why make the dial which is just something else you'll need to change batteries in and will only work on Macs keeping you locked in the ecosystem?? Not many uses for it and seems like a waste of resources which could have been used to make the desktop more powerful.'

'No flash storage as standard in a $3k "professional" desktop?? Disgraceful, Steve Jobs would never have let storage options stagnate like this.'

Et cetera. This is slightly hyperbolic, but you get the message: if Microsoft had come out with the new MBP, you can almost guarantee that people would praise the 'forward-thinking vision' of four Thunderbolt 3 ports, and 'innovation which Apple couldn't match' with the Touch Bar.

I'm not saying it's not shameful that Apple hasn't updated their desktop lineup, but the vast backlash from the media when Apple do anything is just a bit baffling.

23. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

all these whiny losers getting mad about a computer

imagine how irritating they must be in real life

complaining about onions on the pizza, or how it's too cold out or whatever

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

You could get away with a dik-dik pic.

25. onVacation macrumors member

onVacation

[​IMG]