Every Single Game Overheats in bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by That_Guy_From_Aus, Jul 22, 2015.

1. That_Guy_From_Aus macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

This is my first Thread on this website but i've done it on diffrent websites now let me continue so i jnstalled windows 8 a year ago on it but it overheated of course now i wanted to try again with windows 7 about 2 weeks ago after i installed the drivers and tryed rocket league steam verison it overheated 3 times in the space of 5 minutes i got a progrsm to controll fans nothing changed still overheated after cleaning the fans of the mac it went to 2 matchs which is 10 minutes not bad but when in a online match it just slept and kicked me out of a nice game saints row iv lasted a bit better after cleaning at the lowest everything but overheated after 15 minutes but the werid part is EVEN! minecraft overheats idk why it does but for now i have to play purble place but my computer is 5 years old
    Specs MacBookPro Mid-2010 4gbsRam NVIDA Geforce GT 330M intel core I5 320gb HDD it hasnt been overclocked this is the normal specs BTW i had a dell which did not overheat and had same specs but the computer got a virus and the disc drive was wrecked

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That wasn't a very good GPU even 5 years ago.

Firstly clean all the dust out your mac and fans if you haven't already done so.

Secondly manage your expectations, set resolution at 720p and turn down some the effects etc and put an FPS cap of 60 on.

Thirdly realise that any game newer than 5 years old is going to struggle slightly on that mac if you don't manage the settings properly.

Lastly no laptop is a good choice for gaming.....

3. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

minecraft shouldn't of overheated not even rocket league my toshiba didnt overheat and has half the specs and is a tablet i did clean the mac

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use punctuation. Your posts are extremely hard to read.

Why do you think your Mac is overheating? Is it locking up?

5. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

yes it locks up and also im typing on my ipod

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Boot Camp drivers, in my experience, do not always support the power management capabilities that a Mac may provide. That means that system cooling may not always be effective when booted to Windows. I expect that, while you are booted to Windows, when you check in the device manager for devices issues, you will see at least one, maybe several devices with possible driver issues.

A 5-year old laptop would likely need more than just a cleaning. You will often see threads here that suggest you should take the MBPro apart to redo CPU heatsink compound.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Use paragraphs and punctuation, I gave up trying to read your first post after two lines.

Define overheating? If the computer has not suddenly shut down due to heat (and I truly mean shut down), then it hasn't ever overheated. My guess is this has not happened.

The GT330M was crappy even when it came out, so I wouldn't expect it to run much. I believe that generation MBP is also plagued with GPU issues, yours may be on the way out. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203554

Minecraft is a poorly written, poorly optimized crappy game, it'll make even the best desktop PC's break a sweat. I wouldn't base any comparison on that game.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

So am I. It's not difficult.

9. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

i had write this on a ps vita

10. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

1.The overheating has gone that far but most times it sleeps but went i feel it is feels like over 100o (the o won't go up so its degress celesis)

2.The GT330M might be a bag of crap but atleast it can run Burnout Paradise at High settings at a good framerate but like all games it OVERHEATED! (but that was 2008 game maybe macs were 2 years behind when making this)

3.Thanks for that infomation no one ever told me that m8 but Burnout Paradise seems more optimized when i can run it at high settings (sorry if this sounds like bragging because it was in Answer 2)

11. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

when you said TAKE THE MBPRO APART TO REDO CPU HEATSINK COMPOUND I was like :eek: and also like :(
    i though the GPU would be the overheating point and also the first thing you said i went back to Windows 7

12. Freyqq, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the same laptop. It has never overheated in bootcamp. It gets hot though. It runs Mass Effect 3 at 35-40 fps, so it's really not that bad. If it is overheating, it sounds like maybe a problem with the computer.

13. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

Sadly it has always overheated in Bootcamp and even Turbo Dismount Overheats but it might be because i got my computer 4-5 years ago

14. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Is the MBP ventilated well? My MBP(s) I have off a raised stand so it has its air space as it where.

Is it getting cool air around it. Room AC keeping things cool, fans, etc. Earlier models use the shell as a heatsink heavily (my new early 15 has way more vents than my late 11 anyway). If air is not flowing to draw heat off the shell...its not going to do heatsink action very well. I saw this at my kids dance class that doesn't have AC. And a (almost pointless) fan in the desk/waiting area. Even basic stuff saw temps rise on my app I monitor this.

Are you clamshelled (have to ask....some do this...me I am always open shell as I like my stuff tor breath).

Do you have any automated processes/apps running at startup? They could be doing their thing adding load.

Some games you mention will also peg temps. Minecraft as mentioned will sweat a good computer. to include PC laptops. Mac client gets fans spun up real fast I have found on a late 11. Haven't put on the new early 15 yet.

15. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

1.My Room is the coolest room in the house

2.Its Mostly Open Shell when its overheated i keep it like that everytime and leave it like that for 20mins

3.No i don't have any boot-apps because i don't really do much but play games must the games need atleast 2GB of RAM

4.Well Say Games like Turbo Dismount or Burnout Paradise (Burnout Paradise Can Easily Run at highest settings)
    (also Turbo Dismount)But They Both Overheat and also i tried many other games

16. That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

Also i'm going to make a Bootable USB on Daemon Tools to use the Dell because it got a virus ages ago Damn Brother and NBA Virus

17. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

Processor throttling is common if not expected when playing games, even for a brand new laptops. When running intensive tasks the processors generate a significant amount of heat, and if that heat is not removed then it will build up internally, eventually leading to slower performance as the computer throttles processor speeds in order to avoid overheating. However, with adequate supplemental cooling you can reduce or eliminate throttling to regain maximum performance, or even overclock for faster frame rates and performance.

18. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

In my experience MacBooks ALWAYS run warmer in Windows, I've had a few MacBooks and every single one of them has run hot in bootcamp. Typically my MacBooks have run 10 degrees higher while idle and up to 30+ degrees higher during a more intense task, particularly gaming.

Heres what I do to combat bootcamp heat;

1. re-apply new thermal paste (this is the first thing I do when I get a new MacBook regardless)
    2. use a laptop cooling pad or at the very least elevate the MacBook to help it dissipate heat more efficiently during intense gaming or running demanding tasks in Windows
    3. install and use fan control software (currently I use "Macs Fan Control") to monitor temperatures and make sure that the fans kick in early and stay at full when needed
    4. Keep drivers up to date, especially GPU drivers from Nvidia
    I find this will keep MacBooks from locking up or rebooting while gaming, and at the very least it should extend the life of your MacBook by keeping from operating over specs temperatures.

19. That_Guy_From_Aus, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

That_Guy_From_Aus thread starter macrumors newbie

That_Guy_From_Aus

Crap i'm not allowed to do that i'm only 16 also i'm using That Fan control and also i downloaded the lastest driver
    But re-applying wow that's way to far also if i was allowed where the hell do i get "new" thermal paste

20. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

The idea of applying new thermal paste may seem daunting but honestly it is really quite simple. Go to a site like ifixit.com and find your model of MacBook, just follow their step by step guide to get to your heatsink, clean off the old paste (I use 99% alcohol for this) and apply new paste and put it back together in reverse order. It can be done in under half an hour.

A tube of thermal paste will run you about $5-$10. If you live in a city with computer shops most of them should carry thermal paste otherwise just order some online. Some reputable brands are Arctic Cooling MX-4, Arctic Silver, Noctua, Startech etc...

Really applying new paste is a requisite for me whenever I get a new machine, be it a MacBook or a Toshiba Satellite...even gaming consoles. A proper amount of new paste can dramatically reduce temperature by 10+ degrees in some instances and at the very east will reduce it by a few degrees minimum.

21. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I had that MacBook Pro, sold it when the GPU started dying after just a couple of months. That thing ran ridiculously hot under OS X and even worse in Windows, like it could burn you (probably not literally, but it really hurt to touch). I think that's just how those particular machines are.

Not sure how much the thermal paste will help, but it's worth a try (and really not that hard). You can try lowering the settings in your games and locking the framerates if the option is available, as well settings the fans as high as they can go on Macs Fan Control.

Buying a cooling stand might help too, but I can't remember where the fans are.

22. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Stop playing games, and go take an English 101 course at your local community college.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

English may be his second language...

24. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Unlikely if OP is Australian. English is the National Language there.

25. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Australia has no official language though, and someone being in Australia does not correlate with English being the first language, especially when there are 15 native languages still around and countless other languages due to immigration.