Everyday expenses on credit card

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Do a lot of people utilize a credit card for everyday expenses in order to get the cash back? If so, which card and is it worth it in the end?

Now that I have a family of 5 and manage the finances I am finding my credit unions app for our debit card pretty bare bones and hard to track where our money is going, also, cash back and Apple Pay would be nice features.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I put everything I can onto my AmEx card, pay it off every two weeks, and use the points I accrue to book free flights.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Do a lot of people utilize a credit card for everyday expenses in order to get the cash back? If so, which card and is it worth it in the end?
Like @Europa13 I use AmEx (Cash Preferred) but pay it via it’s autopay function. The only time I don’t use it are for bills that require bank transfers.

Yes, it is worth it to me. I don’t travel much so chose the cash back card: 6% at the market; 6% on streaming subscriptions; 3% fuel, taxi (rideshare), and parking; 1% everything else. I apply it back to the statement.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Now that I have a family of 5 and manage the finances I am finding my credit unions app for our debit card pretty bare bones and hard to track where our money is going, also, cash back and Apple Pay would be nice features.
The best for no fuss and no hassle is Citi 2x Cash Back. We put everything on there, pay off in full every month, and save up the cash back for Xmas or family vacations. (FYI, if you pay off early, you don’t get the 2x cash back).

There are other cash back cards that give more (3%-5%) on various rotating categories, but they frequently require users to login and register those categories every month (or it may be a category that you never make purchases from). Also, this card has no annual fee.

YMMV.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I generally use my credit card like a debit card, as in I pay off the balance after it appears for the most part. There really is no point in using a debit card other than to get cash at an ATM since you don’t get any benefits or any real protection.

Reactions: iPhone1

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Yea, the Blue cash preferred Amex has 6% back in groceries. That alone would get to $360. There is a $95 yearly fee but that %6 is applicable to groceries and streaming services, %3 for gas and transit will easily cover the fee.

Honestly, never crossed my mind to use a credit card like a debit card (paid off regularly) just to get the rewards. Seems like it will add some convenience as well and help me track our spending a little better. Thanks for the input!

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Yea, the Blue cash preferred Amex has 6% back in groceries. That alone would get to $360. There is a $95 yearly fee but that %6 is applicable to groceries and streaming services, %3 for gas and transit will easily cover the fee.

Honestly, never crossed my mind to use a credit card like a debit card (paid off regularly) just to get the rewards. Seems like it will add some convenience as well and help me track our spending a little better. Thanks for the input!
I recover Blue’s annual fee in roughly 40 days.

I failed to mention I use Amazon Prime Card (5%) for all Prime purchases which is substantial. Buy Prime stock. 😔

Last edited:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Nope. Use cash or my debit card. I have a Discover for the odd time that debit doesn't work or I'm over the debit transaction limit ($2k). The less I use it, the better. Besides, I would rather spend my time on my work and investments earning $ than jumping through hoops getting ¢.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I don't ever use my debit card, except in the rare event I need to use an ATM for cash. Credit cards not only earn you cashback or miles, but you have more legal protection in the event of fraud, too.

Reactions: Gutwrench

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Nope. Use cash or my debit card. I have a Discover for the odd time that debit doesn't work or I'm over the debit transaction limit ($2k). The less I use it, the better. Besides, I would rather spend my time on my work and investments earning $ than jumping through hoops getting ¢.
Well. In my case, being able to use Apple Pay, keep better track of our spending, and have better fraud protection are good reasons before getting the cash back. Wouldn’t seem like jumping through hoops at all...

Reactions: Gutwrench

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Get a cash back card. The only hoop you have to jump through is paying it, although auto pay is a thing.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Did you just admit that your little dogs run up the tab in Amazon's gourmet foods?
Lol, I had to block them because they’re so irresponsible. They have their own Prime account now and if it goes to recovery it’s their problem. 😤

• Haha
Reactions: willmtaylor

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
It's worth it if you pay off the balance every pay period. Not worth it if you carry a balance, because whatever cash back you might get is offset by the interest you have to pay.

I use my card for auto pay bills, because it's a pain the derriere to write a dozen check and mail them out every month. As I get older I'm beginning to have more and more grey hair moments, so a dozen less things to have to keep track of makes life less stressful.

bnumerick

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
We use it for everything possible but you have to make sure to pay the previous months statement balance or you'll get charged interest. We have the cards setup to automatically apply the cash back to the balance and autopay the previous statement balance from a high yield savings account so I don't even have to think about it. We end up with an extra $100-$200 a month doing this.

dazz87

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2007
I try putting everything i purchase any time on a CC. I hate carrying cash.

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Everything goes on 1 credit card that gets paid off every 2 weeks. I accumulate enough cash back each month to pay my internet bill. Typically $60-70/month.