Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote featured more than two hours of non-stop coverage of the new features coming in iOS 12, macOS Mojave, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5.

For those of you who haven't had a chance to watch the keynote or don't want to spend two hours listening to software announcements, we've condensed everything Apple announced into six minutes, so you can get a quick recap of everything important.

There were no hardware announcements at today's event, with Apple electing to focus solely on iOS 12, macOS Mojave, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5. It's no surprise Apple decided to unveil software alone, as all of these updates bring some great new features.

iOS 12 speeds up many of the animations on the iPhone and iPad for faster performance, plus it brings a suite of new digital health tools for monitoring how much time you're spending on your devices and cutting back if desired.

Do Not Disturb at Bedtime minimizes nighttime distractions, while Group Notifications clean up your Lock screen. On the iPhone X, there are new emoji, including personalized "Memoji" characters that you can customize to look like you. ARKit 2 will bring improved multiplayer augmented reality apps that also offer object persistence, and Group FaceTime will let you chat with up to 32 people at once.

macOS Mojave introduces a new Dark Mode, a revamped and enhanced Finder, Desktop Stacks for managing items on your desktop, a redesigned Mac App Store, a Dynamic desktop that changes based on the time of day, and new apps that include Home, Apple News, Stocks, and Voice Memos.

As for tvOS, it brings long-awaited Dolby Atmos support and a new zero sign-on feature that's designed to let you access apps you're entitled to with your cable subscription when you're signed into your cable provider's WiFi.

watchOS 5 introduces auto workout detection for automatically starting and stopping workouts, new workout types, a Podcasts app, an activity competition mode for competing with friends, improvements to the Siri watch face, and a new Walkie-Talkie app for sending push-to-talk messages to friends and family.

For a full recap of all our coverage today and more detail on what was announced, make sure to check out our dedicated event recap post.

Make sure you stay tuned to MacRumors this week, because we're going to be sharing in-depth videos highlighting new features in all of the software updates Apple introduced today. We'll also be publishing detailed roundups on everything you need to know about the new software, and we'll have coverage of all the new features as we delve into the updates.

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced at WWDC 2018 in Six Minutes

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
This is one of the most “meh” WWDC keynotes that I can remember but I am happy they are dedicating a good chunk of their resources into tuning iOS up. The performance improvements will be with be worth it for users with aging iOS hardware.

I was shocked there were no hardware announcements. I’m ready to buy a new iMac but won’t until they refresh the hardware.

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Thanks, that will save me quite a bit of time. The announcements are OK. I was looking for hardware news but...This is Apple, they love to make us wait and wait.

Last edited:

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Siri is still garbage. Three new fetch calls for spots and celebrities nobody cares about, and a "shotcut" feature which is a fraud. If you have to micro-manage your assistant its not an assistant. This should be handled by AI and already knows which apps are on your phone. You should not have to STATE which apps and services are on your phone, it should already know. Why bother when 15 seconds your in the app and you have pressed the button, and you dont run the risk of it getting your non-US accent wrong. Meanwhile Google assistant knows the weight of the Apple Home pod when asked, but Siri doesnt. Talk about mopping the floor.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not that exciting, but I'm happy they are really focusing on optimizing the performance of iOS. Based on what I'm hearing about iOS 12 Beta 1 already I think iOS 12 is going to be a winner.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I’m really excited about Siri Shortcuts. Been asking for it for years though I called it Siri Scripts. Curious to see how it actually works and how customizable you can make the actions.

Reactions: Macaholic868

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I’m glad we have grouped notifications (finally, good Lord), but I really dislike the implementation and the UI. Messy, and I don’t like that the notifications are stacked. I much prefer how Android handles grouped notifications; much cleaner, much simpler, much better. I noticed that if there are only two notifications [on iOS 12], two cards will still show behind the first notification. Huh? There should only be one card showing behind the first notification since there are only two notifications for that app. Why does Apple struggle so much with notifications?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I’m really excited about Siri Shortcuts. Been asking for it for years though I called it Siri Scripts. Curious to see how it actually works and how customizable you can make the actions.

This feature might be my favorite. Anything Apple can do to give us more customized, granular control over Siri is a good thing.

If Siri will always be more limited than Alexa and the Google Assistant because of Apple’s commitment to privacy then Apple should give us all the tools necessary to make Siri as smart as possible.

Reactions: mingravity

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have one Mac, two iOS devices, an ATV 4, and an AW, so all of these apply to me. I thought a little about what features I would actually use from each of these updates. Here's what I got:
iOS: better performance. Would use Google Maps with CarPlay if my car supported CarPlay.
macOS: News app. Might enable Dark Mode once in a while just for novelty.
WatchOS: cadence and auto start/stop (both in the run activity in the workout app)
tvOS: zero sign-on (when my provider is supported, some day)

I'm not trying to troll - I love Apple's products and am not going to threaten to take my ball and go play in Google's sandbox or anything like that. I just thought this was the most underwhelming keynote I've ever seen from Apple with almost no meaningful new features in any OS. I actually watched the keynote and STILL have no earthly idea how they stretched it to two hours.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I’m going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction. When Craig explained that Apple is NOT merging iOS and MacOS, he also danced around how certain iOS apps are being ported over to the Mac, like the News App. My prediction is that once we start seeing apps do this, the next gen of MacBooks will be Touchscreen enabled.

You scoff. Apple has said that touch screen on an IMac is useless and same with laptops. Apple has said there is no use case for a touch screen laptop. But they also said there is no use for an iPad stylus, that smart watches suck, and that TV is a hobby. Meanwhile the MS Surface is getting better, the MS Studio is expensive but cool and useful for a niche of users, and the fact is that the crappy keyboard and underwhelming touch bar on the current crop of MacBooks means that a complete MacBook hardware overhaul is on the horizon. And sure, up til now Mac Apps have not lended themselves to a touch interface. But that’s changing. So file this under future claim chowder if you want, but I expect to see a touch screen MacBook in two years.
[doublepost=1528161308][/doublepost]
I have one Mac, two iOS devices, an ATV 4, and an AW, so all of these apply to me. I thought a little about what features I would actually use from each of these updates. Here's what I got:
iOS: better performance. Would use Google Maps with CarPlay if my car supported CarPlay.
macOS: News app. Might enable Dark Mode once in a while just for novelty.
WatchOS: cadence and auto start/stop (both in the run activity in the workout app)
tvOS: zero sign-on (when my provider is supported, some day)

I'm not trying to troll - I love Apple's products and am not going to threaten to take my ball and go play in Google's sandbox or anything like that. I just thought this was the most underwhelming keynote I've ever seen from Apple with almost no meaningful new features in any OS. I actually watched the keynote and STILL have no earthly idea how they stretched it to two hours.

The Screen Time thing is huge, huge, HUGE for parents. I honestly think they could have ditched the emoji demo and done a screen time demo instead. Oh, and I also think that Siri Shortcuts is going to eventually be a major thing. I foresee Apple learning how screen time is used by people and incorporating more real world logic into Siri as a result of what they see.

Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.