Everything is settle down but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRyu, Jul 2, 2012.

1. iRyu, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

iRyu macrumors regular

So I'm going to my college end of this month. I almost pull the trigger for the base RMBP with education price but I don't if I will survive with the 8GB ram.

I'm not sure what program I will use in my college. I'm studying Computer Security and Forensics (anyone?), i'm sure i will run windows on it. Plus i will be using it for 3 to 4 years.

If I buy base RMBP/16GB ram with education price, the price will be almost same as base RMBP retail price.

If I buy base RMBP/8GB (stock) with education price, maybe I can get something else (external hdd, magic mouse etc) with the money.

help me out guys :(

EDIT: can you guys screen shot your ram usage and tell me what you doing on it? I can roughly know how much a 8GB ram can handle.

2. mexico macrumors member

my thoughts: you can always go back and buy a mouse, but you cannot go back and buy more ram. I'm a video editor and do a lot of 3d work as well and I think even with all of that 8 gb's would be enough. but I got the 16 because its much cheaper to upgrade that now then to buy a whole new computer down the road with that amount

3. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

It's impossible to add the memory later, and if you have the money in you're budget; its my opinion you should future proof with a little more memory.

Windows running inside a virtual machine with VMware or Paralells would enjoy the extra memory hands down.

It seems unquestionable to me, get the memory mate :)

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You will definitely be running Windows, and with this in mind you should look more to the non Retina MBP. The new Retina machines are exactly that too new , all large establishment and business tend to be very conservative and never hurry to implement new tech. You may well find yourself struggling with the rMBP due to non optimised applications.

Before you even think about a Retina, you need to ensure all the software that you will be using is relatively compatible. I rather suspect that you will also be required to run virtual machines, BootCamp will be a must for Windows, I would defer to the greater storage of the MBP, possibly bto 1Tb HDD, Hi Res, you can add 16Gb of RAM later at low cost, and you will have plenty of space for movies, music, games etc. 256GB may just be too limited.

rMBP is very cutting edge tech and going into a computer based science course, i think a little too ahead of it`s time, and may very well be more hindrance than the expected edge...

5. leenak macrumors 68020

I have a MS in Comp Sci, specializing in security.

I will tell you that I've run virtual machines at work and I've ran them while I was in my school program. I think i had 4MB Ram at most when I've ever done that. VMs will take some RAM but they will also use virtual memory. That is probably the most intensive thing that you would do but then again, I don't know your specific program.

16GB will future proof you but 8GB will work quite well for quite a few years.

6. trollbert macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if people realize how much ram they are using, but 16gb seems like overkill.

It's your choice but you will not struggle with 8gb.

7. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did think of that. About software that is not optimize for Retina, this problem will be fix soon. I think this is just the matter of time. Not a big deal for me. I can bear with those pixelated words :p

I can't carry a big chunk classic mbp with me as I will bring it to my college sometime. The rMBP makes classic mbp looks bad lol.

Can someone post screen shoot of ram usage and tell me what you using?
    Of course I can buy rMBP with 16GB ram but I want to see is that really necessary for me.

thanks guys

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s not to be overly negative or down on the rMBP, just that it could potentially be a significant problem for you, however if you have already done the groundwork and the rMBP will work for you then go for it. I also agree that in time OS X apps will be updated Windows may never.

I am going for a rMBP myself, only I am lucky enough to be able to "hedge my bets" as I already have a Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 which I will also keep. As several have said 8Gb should be fine, I will go for 8Gb.

Good luck with the course :apple:

9. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

im from malaysia too btw.
    how much ram inside your late 2011?

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

its most definitely not necessary for you. why do so many college kids think they *need* the best of everything in order to actually do any work?

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Are you kidding? My top end Dell in college had a 6GB HDD, 64MB of RAM and a 650 Intel processor. It screamed through WAV files, Napster and my email, no way would I have gone with one of those Fruity macs that were everywhere.....

I also surprises me that someone going into a computer related field isn't sure what RAM differences are.

12. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

well, thats you. I prefer using mac as I think it's the best OS plus I can run windows anytime.

Yes I know what ram do, the one that concern me is how much my "field" going to use? I'm now using a base 2010 mac mini w/ 2gb of ram to test whether I like this OS or not (im still running SL) and sometime it lags like hell when I open few tabs (google chrome, 3 to 5 tabs) and some application (itunes, iphoto, twitter app). I wanna make sure next three to five year I don't want to have lag and what not. I believe Mountain Lion will be more memory hogging. No offence, just trying to make things clear.

13. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

2.3/16/256 educational buy, solid choice, what i got, just my opinion... and 2 cents....

14. jcpb macrumors 6502a

The deciding factors: "run windows on it... using it for 3 to 4 years"

Go 16GB, don't listen to stevelam.

15. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

damnn, I'm confuse. The other side say im just a student, dont need 16gb ram.
    but this sound reasonable to me because im not going to change this monster like how i did to my iphone every year. hmmmmmmmmm

16. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a non-Linux OS that runs like butter off 2GB RAM. OSX likes having a minimum of 4GB, and in the future, that may rise. You'll probably want to make sure you have min 8GB to dedicate to OSX in the future.

As for the 8 vs 16 GB question, I'd recommend 16. If you do, you can use virtualization software to simultaneously run Windows and OSX, and dedicate 8GB RAM to each (or you could run multiple Windows/Linux systems if that's your thing).

Retina's a fine choice in computer for the specs it lists. If you have 2.2k to drop on a computer, it's honestly one of the best choices on the market.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I'm just visiting for a couple of years :), cant remember exactly certainly not too much, just bought it locally. Pricing on Mac`s is great here, pity there is no availability of the rMBP yet in the retailers

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Considering the total price on the RMBP - spend the little extra and get 16gb. You'll significantly increase the machine's usable life, and it can't be upgraded if you pick 8gb.

19. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

this somehow true :) but does 16GB ram really help a lot?
    I know ram can't increase speed but can increase the space of opening application. I currently don't use any heavy application like CS6, VM etc, but I'm sure i will in future. Can you tell me how does the 16GB ram help me in future?

20. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

The requirements for future OS updates for both Windows and Mac OS will likely require more RAM than the current versions do. So, you'll guarantee that your system will run smoothly in the future, if you choose to upgrade the RAM now. Also, the RAM on the retina MBP is soldered on to the motherboard and can't be replaced later. So whatever you get now, you will be stuck with. In other words, you should get as much RAM as possible to ensure performance for the 4 years or so that you will own the laptop.

Also, you'll prevent any slowdown in the short term when using a virtual machine to run Windows. Virtual machines can really hog RAM.

21. medulla macrumors regular

22. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

16gb is big as **** lol. 11gb left unused, can tell me what application you're running?

23. medulla macrumors regular

The only thing running right now is VLC. Haven't seen it go into single digits or anything along those lines.. 16GB should be more than plenty.

24. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The biggest problem with my 2007 MBP is that it doesn't have enough RAM (maxed at 4). Get the 16GB and don't look back. You can't upgrade the Retina's RAM later. You will likely use lots of VMs, and you want it to be as future proof as possible.

25. zerotiu macrumors regular

I upgrade to 16gb. However, I usually open bazillion chrome tabs, word documents, pdf documents and use 3 workspaces, sometimes with ps cs5. My early 08 mbp 2gb can survive, the lag is noticable, but it's gone when I close cs5.

16gb is defnitely overkill, but personally I also want to have big memory :p