Everything New in iOS 12.2 Beta 3: Apple TV Remote Redesign, Apple News Tweak, Bug Fixes and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this morning released the third beta of iOS 12.2 to developers, and as with most early betas, the new software introduces refinements and user interface changes for various features.

There are several minor tweaks, such as an update to the Apple News logo, along with more major updates that include a new Apple TV Remote design and multiple important bug fixes. We've outlined everything new in the third beta of iOS 12.2 below.

- Apple TV Remote redesign - The Apple TV Remote has been redesigned again with a darker interface, both in the Remote app itself and in Control Center.

[​IMG]

- Lock screen charging fix - The second beta of iOS 12.2 had a pesky bug that caused the iPhone's charge to be displayed on the Lock screen instead of the date. In beta 3, that's been fixed.

- Apple News logo - In the Apple News app, instead of spelling out "Apple News," Apple uses the "?" symbol along with the word "News," similar to Apple Pay.

[​IMG]

- About screen - The interface for viewing information about your iPhone has been updated and rearranged in a more logical way with info like model number and serial number at the top with carrier information at the bottom.

[​IMG]

- Group FaceTime bug fix - The Group FaceTime bug has been addressed in iOS 12.2 and Group FaceTime is now once again available to iOS 12.2 users.

- Developer updates - Alongside iOS 12.2 beta 3, Apple introduced new resources for developers. Siri Shortcuts design resources are available, as are new iOS system design templates, Adobe XD Apple Watch design resources, and an SF Compact Rounded font. Developers are also now able to offer subscription discounts on a broader basis thanks to a new API.

Siri Apple Store suggestions - There's a new section under Siri & Search > Apple Store that indicates Siri in iOS 12.2 will be able to suggest Today at Apple sessions for you based on your Safari and app usage.

Apple has introduced many other changes over the course of the beta testing period, with most of the updates outlined in our iOS 12.2 tidbits post.

Additional details on iOS 12 can be found in our iOS 12 roundup.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 12.2 Beta 3: Apple TV Remote Redesign, Apple News Tweak, Bug Fixes and More

2. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

3. Swazaloo macrumors regular

I live in a Condo. If only there was a way to prevent all of my neighbors Apple TV's from showing up in my AirPlay device list.

4. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Right but I don’t have :apple:News it’s only available in the US, Canada, UK and Australia.... shame on Apple!

5. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Are they making the incremental updates intentionally small so that by comparison we will be wowed by 13's "revolutionary" features like dark mode?

6. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

We live in a single family home and still have this issue...

It also means that any apple TV's you have are showing up in their lists too.

7. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Day 1, I'm installing that beta from the Dev Portal. Bleeding edge!!

8. Luiz Claudio Eudes Corrêa macrumors newbie

Luiz Claudio Eudes Corrêa

On Airplay settings on your AppleTV, just switch from allowing close devices to only allow devices from your network (-;

9. lunarworks macrumors 65816

That new Apple News branding is likely a peek at what's in store for the press conference next month.

10. jumanji macrumors regular

can they actually redesign the actual apple tv remote? i mean...it's a piece of crap

11. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Are the little arrows an indication that we can do a simple discrete "click"? My attempts to navigate youtube are usually a disaster because I can't swipe just one item to the left/right. I always end up swiping too far :-(

12. AngerDanger, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Fi-na-lly! I’ve been holding off purchasing a new iPhone in the hopes they’d eventually use the Apple logo in the :apple:News app! The wait is over!

:mad:Danger

13. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Yup. It’s become clear over the last few years that Apple is moving away from the “i” prefix toward ____.

The new TV service will be named TV, following MUSIC and NEWS and the hardware box will probably get a new name, maybe something in tune with HomePod. tvPod perhaps? Or maybe they turn HomePod into a brand for home devices, with the new TV box called HomePod TV.

Note: those on non Apple devices won’t see the Apple logo character in this post.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Don’t explain for those green-bubble maggots. Let them try and “root” out an answer for themselves. ;)

15. PKoz macrumors regular

PKoz

I hate both the physical remote and their virtual remotes. The one good thing is that I can enter the password through the password manager from the phone. I give great praise for that feature. Although I would much rather that they let me use my face or thumb from the device as the sole password entry if I desire.

Aside from that, I wish Apple would make a real remote. One I can use in the dark, without looking at it. I can't stand swipe gesters on the remote.

16. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I dunno if they're gonna change the name of the hardware. It's as old as iPhone at this point. But when iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 were released the "iTunes Store Terms and Conditions" you agreed to quietly became the "Apple Media Terms and Conditions".

17. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

How do you expect them to improve a touch based phone remote? It won’t ever be physical keys so this is as good as it gets for a remote for your phone.

18. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Note that they already call the TV app “Apple TV”.

926A7152-A3DE-4543-A50C-5CA4C6E5301C.jpeg

There’s going to be confusion between the app and the hardware so I think we’ll see a brand new box released and that new box will have a new name. It makes sense to brand it around HomePod. Maybe HomePod itself becomes the centre of the home, Airplaying video content to TVs, either through a new HDMI stick or to AirPlay compatible TVs.

19. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

You know those buttons you could barely see? Well, you see them even less now! Can't innovate my ass! /sarcasm

20. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

They’re not moving one way or the other. Both have been used for decades.

Apple IIE 1983
    AppleTalk 1985
    Apple Mouse 1985
    AppleCare 2008

21. Crowbot macrumors member

Crowbot

I don't have an Apple TV but I see other people's on my iMac Sound (Output) Preferences. The IDs seem to be coming in through my Wi-Fi and I can't find any way to turning it off.

22. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

A mute button would be a welcome addition. It is irritating that apps like Netflix suddenly play loud previews.

23. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Only thing that matters to me is the DATE fix! Come on, public beta!!!

24. f12003_ga macrumors member

f12003_ga

25. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

I'd take just being able to control the aTV volume from the control center instead of having to use a physical remote. Seems silly that the Chromecast has been able to do this for forever, but not so much with aTV.