Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is wrapping up development on iOS 17.2, with the update expected to come out in December. While we're getting to the end of the beta testing period, Apple is still tweaking features and adding new functionality.

iOS-17.2-Feature-Warm.jpg

We've rounded up everything new in the fourth beta of iOS 17.2.

Default Notification Sound

Under Sounds & Haptics, there's a new "Default Alerts" section that allows you to choose the sound used for all incoming notifications aside from texts, mail alerts, and calendar alerts, which already had customization options.

ios-17-default-alert.jpg

All of the text tones can be used for the default notification sound, plus there is an option to also change the haptic vibration of default notifications.

Collaborative Apple Music Playlists

While collaborative Apple Music playlists were introduced in an earlier version of iOS 17.2, Apple has removed the option in the fourth beta, which suggests this is not an option that will be coming in iOS 17.2 after all.

apple-music-collaborative-playlists.jpg

AppleCare Settings

The "Coverage" section under Settings > General has been renamed to AppleCare & Warranty. It still includes AppleCare info for your iPhone and connected devices such as the Apple Watch and AirPods.

applecare-warranty-ios-17-2.jpg

Under General > About there's a new Warranty section that provides coverage information for the iPhone.

Recording to an External Device

With the iPhone 15 Pro models, ProRes video can be recorded directly to an external device. iOS 17.2 appears to include a new pop up message that lets users know that external recording is not working because of a USB-C cable that is too slow.

There was previously a warning about an external storage device not having a fast enough write speed to support external recording, but now there is an added message about the write speed of the USB-C cable.

iTunes

Code in iOS 17.2 confirms that Apple is planning to eliminate the option to purchase TV shows and movies in the iTunes app. TV and movie content will need to be purchased in the TV app in the future, but for now, the change has not actually been implemented.

"You can buy or rent TV shows and find your purchases in the Apple TV app," reads the code.

More iOS 17.2 Beta 4 Features

Know of a feature that we left out in this list? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 17.2 Beta 4

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
"Default Notification Sound - Under Sounds & Haptics, there's a new "Default Alerts" section that allows you to choose the sound used for all incoming notifications aside from texts, mail alerts, and calendar alerts, which already had customization options."

Apple listened quickly: Most Excellent
LrEUyJj-Imgur.gif

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The "Coverage" section under Settings > General has been renamed to AppleCare & Warranty. It still includes AppleCare info for your iPhone and connected devices such as the Apple Watch and AirPods.
It's actually in Settings > General > About currently, so it has also relocated to a higher level menu, which is probably a good thing since it's kinda buried at the moment.

MikeTheBohunk

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
East End
I’d love this to be taken one step further and let us change the notification sound on the per-app basis.

As of now:
- all app notifications will make the same sound, or;
- we’ll be limited to the app’s internal sound selection which is often much smaller and doesn’t allow for using custom sounds (with notable exceptions like Signal or Telegram).

And I wonder whether we’re going to have to wait for another 17 iOS iterations to get that option…

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I am beyond surprised about this Default Notification alert...I guess I don't have many third-party apps, let alone ones that I allow notifications for.

I'm just surprised that Apps don't have their own sound alerts (especially as a way of branding).

CarAnalogy

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2021
iTunes

Code in iOS 17.2 confirms that Apple is planning to eliminate the option to purchase TV shows and movies in the iTunes app. TV and movie content will need to be purchased in the TV app in the future, but for now, the change has not actually been implemented.

"You can buy or rent TV shows and find your purchases in the Apple TV app," reads the code.

Hopefully this means there will finally be proper integration with the shows I purchased from iTunes. Currently it wants to send me to Hulu or Peacock or anywhere but my own library to watch content I have purchased. And don’t get me started on how slowly Family Sharing has to completely reload every…single…time…

But it probably just means they are funneling more people toward the app with ads for TV+, MLS, MLB, and whatever they decide to advertise next.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
All I want is the ability to customize the haptic on my Apple Watch on a per app basis, or per “notification type” basis.

That way, I’ll know which of the various reminders I have throughout the day it is based on the haptic pattern without having to look at my watch.

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
It's actually in Settings > General > About currently, so it has also relocated to a higher level menu, which is probably a good thing since it's kinda buried at the moment.
Yes, last beta moved it. This beta renamed it after it being moved.

Reactions: Kal Madda

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I know its an edge case and likely Microsoft Teams issue but I am waiting for the ability to use a webcam with the iPad Pro. You can do it now in Facetime but I need to have it in Teams as well.

• Love
Reactions: DaniTheFox

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Well "left out", as in "no longer available in the most recent update - in earlier iOS versions, if you set a timer it would not only tell you how much time was left but also what time of day the timer would go off. That was dropped in the most recent major update and both my wife and I are not happy about that. Seems a silly thing to drop - as it was simply replaced by a repeat of how much time was left on the timer... :-(

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I’m genuinely curious what makes the Playlists feature so difficult to incorporate. It’s one of the top features I’m looking forward to.

Reactions: Kaptajn Haddock

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
WHAT ABOUT THE MAC?

I want to make my notification sounds consistent but Mail uses system sounds than alert sounds on Mac and you cant change calendar or reminders!

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Ability to change default notification sound and also the new AppleCare/Warranty section is good

Luc B

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
Strombeek-Bever (Belgium)
Since I installed the new beta one hour ago the mail app does not show search results anymore. Rebooting my MacBook and restarting the mail app do not solve the problem. Any idea how to fix this?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I am happy you are all also thrilled at the default app notification sound being changeable soon. I use google voice for work and the new default alert is too damn quiet.

Why the hell they can't make it different per app is outrageous though. Was that just too much work or something? Everyone wants it...

Reactions: MikeTheBohunk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.