Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released the fourth beta of the upcoming iOS 17 software release to developers for testing purposes, and like almost all new betas, the operating system brings a number of small tweaks and changes as Apple refines the software ahead of launch.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Blue-Green.jpg

Here's everything new that we've found so far in the fourth beta of iOS 17.

NameDrop Toggle

In the AirDrop menu in Settings, Apple has added a "Start Sharing By" section that includes a toggle called "Bringing Devices Together," which allows users to manually switch NameDrop on and off.

namedrop-settings-toggle.jpg

NameDrop is the new iOS 17 feature that lets you hold your iPhone near someone else's iPhone or Apple Watch to exchange contact information. Previously, there was no way to disable it.

iMessage App Menu

In iOS 17, all Messages apps and tools like the camera and photo options can be accessed by tapping on the "+" button, which brings up a menu column. In fourth beta, Apple has tweaked the design of the icons.

messages-apps-menu.jpg

The Camera icon has changed from a shutter button to a traditional camera glyph. The Photos icon no longer shows the most recent picture taken, and is now just the standard Photos app icon. Cash, where it appears, now has a black circular background. The Audio icon has become a white waveform on a red background instead of a red waveform on a black background, and the Location icon is now encircled in green to look similar to Find My. The More icon is also circular instead of an oblong shape.

Standby Notification Preview Toggle

In the Standby menu in Settings, Apple has added a toggle called "Show Preview on Tap Only," which when enabled causes Standby to hide the preview of a notification until you tap on it.

standby-preview-toggle.jpg

When you're not using your iPhone, you can put it horizontally on a charger to activate iOS 17's new StandBy mode, a full-screen display with information you can see at a glance.

Mental Wellbeing

Apple has made minor design refinements to the Mental Wellbeing section of the Health app, with updated animations when logging your mood.

log-mood-animations.jpg

The animations have been made a little less angular, and are now softer, smoother, and slightly more florid.

New Home Screen & App Library Icon

Apple has changed the Settings menu icon for Home Screen & App Library, which was previously a white outline of an iPhone showing a Home Screen on a blue background.

home-screen-settings.jpg

In the fourth beta, it is now represented by three rows of multicolored app-style icons on a purple background.

Tweaked Apple TV Remote Icon

In Control Center, Apple has made a minor tweak to the Apple TV Remote button, which now has a black circle representing the click wheel, while the Standby button in the top-right corner has been removed.

apple-remote-button.jpg

Other New Features and Changes

Find something that we didn't mention here? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 17 Beta 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Zeus2018

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
I was expecting the 3rd & 4th betas iOS 17 to make a bigger splash because those are the betas where feedback on the new iOS is usually implemented.

Reactions: -BigMac-

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
“Very unpleasant” sounds like a euphemism when you’re really feeling shіtty, in deep despair, or suicidal. Almost on the 1984 “I feel doubleplusungood” level.

And why is it green and “neutral” is red?!

Last edited:
Reactions: boswald

dreamerstree

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2021
I found in the beta that you can reorder or change the defaults in the messages + screen.

If you tap the +, you can touch and hold, and then drag the options to reorder them. If you go to more, you can touch and hold and then drag to the top of the screen to add the item to the defaults list. Likewise, you can remove defaults by dragging them to the bottom of the screen

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I found in the beta that you can reorder or change the defaults in the messages + screen.

If you tap the +, you can touch and hold, and then drag the options to reorder them. If you go to more, you can touch and hold and then drag to the top of the screen to add the item to the defaults list. Likewise, you can remove defaults by dragging them to the bottom of the screen
Thank you so much! It was driving me bananas that they were hiding one that I use all the time! This was so wonderful to learn!

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC

Thanks. Super helpful. I didn't like that the #images was buried under more and I use that one regularly.
Thanks for the tip.

loodias

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021

Apple has released the fourth beta of the upcoming iOS 17 software release to developers for testing purposes, and like almost all new betas, the operating system brings a number of small tweaks and changes as Apple refines the software ahead of launch.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Blue-Green.jpg

Here's everything new that we've found so far in the fourth beta of iOS 17.

NameDrop Toggle

In the AirDrop menu in Settings, Apple has added a "Start Sharing By" section that includes a toggle called "Bringing Devices Together," which allows users to manually switch NameDrop on and off.

namedrop-settings-toggle.jpg

NameDrop is the new iOS 17 feature that lets you hold your iPhone near someone else's iPhone or Apple Watch to exchange contact information. Previously, there was no way to disable it.

iMessage App Menu

In iOS 17, all Messages apps and tools like the camera and photo options can be accessed by tapping on the "+" button, which brings up a menu column. In fourth beta, Apple has tweaked the design of the icons.

messages-apps-menu.jpg

The Camera icon has changed from a shutter button to a traditional camera glyph. The Photos icon no longer shows the most recent picture taken, and is now just the standard Photos app icon. Cash, where it appears, now has a black circular background. The Audio icon has become a white waveform on a red background instead of a red waveform on a black background, and the Location icon is now encircled in green to look similar to Find My. The More icon is also circular instead of an oblong shape.

Standby Notification Preview Toggle

In the Standby menu in Settings, Apple has added a toggle called "Show Preview on Tap Only," which when enabled causes Standby to hide the preview of a notification until you tap on it.

standby-preview-toggle.jpg

When you're not using your iPhone, you can put it horizontally on a charger to activate iOS 17's new StandBy mode, a full-screen display with information you can see at a glance.

Mental Wellbeing

Apple has made minor design refinements to the Mental Wellbeing section of the Health app, with updated animations when logging your mood.

log-mood-animations.jpg

The animations have been made a little less angular, and are now softer, smoother, and slightly more florid.

Apple has changed the Settings menu icon for Home Screen & App Library, which was previously a white outline of an iPhone showing a Home Screen on a blue background.

home-screen-settings.jpg

In the fourth beta, it is now represented by three rows of multicolored app-style icons on a purple background.

Tweaked Apple TV Remote Icon

In Control Center, Apple has made a minor tweak to the Apple TV Remote button, which now has a black circle representing the click wheel, while the Standby button in the top-right corner has been removed.

apple-remote-button.jpg

Other New Features and Changes

Find something that we didn't mention here? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 17 Beta 4
And I thought the fresher, “more” icons in iMessage that showed up in 17 meant that we were finally going to see a visual refresh of the OS. 😭

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Based on published data for the mental well being app to be effective it should also delete all social media and TikTok.

I like that apple continues to try and tweak the interface.

Reactions: fatTribble

Henry54

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
Does anyone know if the FindMy remote thing works in this beta? I opened the remote app on my phone after installing this beta and got a quick message that said something about it but then went away after half a second, couldn’t read anything about it.

Reactions: Verified Whiskey

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
When I wanted to log into an App using Google/Facebook it asked me if I only want to log into that App or on Safari as well. Is that new or did I just not notice it before?

Attachments

• IMG_0522.png
    IMG_0522.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 53

Njiphoner

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2021

I see that "Home Screen" changed to "Home Screen & App Library" but the icon looks to be the same as it is in 16.5.1(c).

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpg
    IMG_6917.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 97

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
The iMessage App Menu was in desperate need of this attention. It was jarringly incongruous! This is a step in the right direction, for sure.

Reactions: Henry54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.