Evil cockroaches

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Many people already think cockroaches are evil. After all, they show up by surprise, scurry around where you don't want them, regularly frighten people, and can't easily be exterminated.

When I saw this quote in a tech news story, it got me thinking.

"The use of insects as platforms for small robots has an incredible number of useful applications, from search and rescue to national defense," says [Abhishek] Dutta, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering who specializes in control system optimization and cyber-physical systems.​

How are cockroaches going to help with national defense? If cockroaches turned into remote-controller robots can be used for DE-fense, why not OF-fense?

It's bad enough when cockroaches race across your kitchen floor, but what if they were actually programmed to do something really bad? How might they be used by one country to attack another?

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Damnation Ally, from 1977, used this as a theme, after the world is knocked off its axis.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are cockroaches what you see moving on the floor in a couple of frames of the trailer?

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Yes. If I recall correctly, the idea was that only cockroaches would survive a worldwide catastrophe.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Discovery Channel reported that cockroaches can survive radiation doses that are 10 times higher than human-lethal doses. But if we humans are all incinerated, then we won't have to worry about the evil-programmed cockroaches that are still around. In any case, for the purpose of this thread, we're talking about roaches that coexist with us.

Scientists can already steer cockroaches remotely, as this article reported, but how exactly does that help in a national conflict?

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

I would think that an international conflict would be a more suitable arena for the manipulation of cockroaches.
    Cockroaches are universally loathed/feared - just imagine if enough of them were directed towards a particular location/country!

I, for one, would NOT welcome our new overlords!

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

They could be used for espionage. As in "The Fifth Element". I wish the poster didn't ruin the scene by looping the video in slow motion. That is the best I found in a quick search.

8. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

The X-Files episode from Season 3, War of the Coprophages, has much of these elements.
    -Tig

9. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Think about this. Fit a roach with a GPS and maneuver it into a shipment of equipment/supplies/food and see where it ends up. Now you know where the new base/lab/storage facility is. Track enough cockroaches and you can start to understand your enemy's logistics and command structure.

Or, perhaps, use the cockroaches as a carrier for a biological weapon? Maybe train/program the roaches to do something specific - like chew through only the pink wire (and make sure you don't use any pink wires!) or chew holes in every left sock they can find.

10. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

And mutate into man-eating cockroaches that eat everything organic in Salt Lake City. What they're eating in the meantime until the characters from the movie arrive is not discussed. :)

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe you could use them to "bug" another country's embassy. If their security people sweep the rooms for bugs, the cockroaches would scurry away to hide, escaping detection.