Exactly one month until Montevina is released!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tkiss, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tkiss macrumors regular

So that means we could see the new Macbook in as little as a month and a day!:D

2. Mijndert macrumors newbie

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I was pretty sure I saw that the notebook version wouldn't be out until like early 2009

4. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

No it is being released July 14th.

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

6. Natsu macrumors member

well i wish it could come out before school starts... that'd be awesome

7. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really need mine for school, because I will only be a freshman in high school, and we have a home computer(which I hate with a passion, only two years old and still runs like crap) but I hope that it comes out in time for the free iPod promotion.

8. wgriffiths2000 macrumors newbie

I would have to say September 15th or some time after I would actually put some decent money on my estimation though. Though not to say that apples release have not made me scratch my head at times.

9. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

Well I heard that last year Apple released the new iMac during the back to school promotion, so why couldn't they release the new Macbook during it this year?

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

my family's getting a imac sometime during the ipod promotion, I hope it get's updated before the end of the promotion.

11. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I know, it is only the Macbooks being refreshed.

12. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

First off they wouldn't update the macbooks without also doing an update to the MBPs (and by update, I'm talking about the big one everyone is on about).

Also, it is HIGHLY unlikely you would see Apple come out with new products the DAY of an intel release, expect to wait a couple weeks after July 14th.

Lastly, like I've been saying I also don't expect ANY case refresh or redesign for a Montevina release because:

1. Anything like a redesign for a 'Macbook 2.0' would require an event, a keynote or something, not just a drop in the middle of nowhere.

2. July is the month of the iPhone, and well..basically all summer is for the iPhone.

3. I still don't believe Apple would do a full on redesign for all the buyers who bought Penryn. I mean seriously, I expect by late July or something for there to be another 'speed upgrade', and maybe a little page saying the 'new' macbooks are here, MAYBE some HD upgrades and such, but nothing big.

But still...we can hope...

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why bother, theres not exactly anything at this point that they can or will put in to it to make a noticeable difference. Its just a new logic board, meaning if you wanted to run good old tiger, tough luck. No Blu Ray, not that I care about that. 2gb of RAM is still the norm, the hard drive sizes are still the norm, the graphics are still the norm considering the thickness.

I hope they leave it till January, and Nehalem, don't fix it if it aint broken.

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i don't really mind the aluminum coming out. i love my penryn macbook :))

15. illidian macrumors 6502

The graphics will be substantially better. The x4500 (without finalized drivers) is performing about twice as well as the current x3100 in benchmark tests.

16. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'll be after a new one come august: really hoping for aluminium and LED :(

17. akira117 macrumors member

akira117

Oh god yes please be true, in time for me to buy/bring with me to Japan :D:apple:

18. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

When is this "event" where these will come out?

19. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

i doubt the imac is going to get upgraded before september 14 (when the iPod deal ends) since it was just updated and is the latest mac computer to have been updated. the case is more than likely not to get updated as it was new last summer and imacs just got penryn...so i wouldnt hold my breath on it.
    i got my imac just when the deal started and am loving every second of it :)

20. illidian macrumors 6502

The iMacs are already Montevina-esque. There is no performance update available at this time, nor will there be until Nahalem. If we see an iMac refresh, it's going to be a change from the custom chips to the official Montevina chips, and that will be more for manufacturing reasons than anything else.

21. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Montevina will support DDR3, so that will provide some improvement.

Even though the iMac bus speed is 1066 MHz, I don't think (I could be wrong) that it supports DDR3 yet.

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

DDR3 doesn't pull away from DDR2 until it's clocked incredibly high. It's not worth the money at the moment anyway, so I'm not sure why you're so excited.

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

they completely changed the ibook to the macbook without any significant change to the macbook pro. they still look like old powerbooks.

a event for a macbook pro/macbook case refresh can be easily set up by apple within 2 weeks.

apple had early access to other intel chips so a realease of macbooks shortly after July 14th is possible.

they won't stop development of new macs just because of the iphone. doesn't make sense

the case redesign will depend on how apples market research turns out. if the marketing people say the macbook loses its wow factor they pull the new design out of the drawer and make it.

other factors shift the release just by a few weeks (like selling off old stock, wait a few weeks for a big event, release it two weeks later because of the iphone release). but it will be only a matter of two weeks or so.

so it really depends if the majority of customers think the macbook looks old. i guess that is the case and thats why i hope for a case redesign. i would say 50% chance before september 15th.

my 2 cents.

24. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

For those who say Apple will not release a new macbook during the free ipod deal (which is only for students anyway), that did not stop them form doing so last year with the new imac.

Here is the release info from everymac.com

Introduction Date: August 7, 2007 Discontinued Date: April 28, 2008
    Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (T7700) Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Details: The Intel "Core 2 Duo" (T7700) processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip.

Also see: How much faster are the "Aluminum" iMac Core 2 Duo models than the previous "White" iMac Core 2 Duo models?

25. illidian macrumors 6502

As m1stake pointed out, DDR3 currently offers very little improvement over DDR2. In addition, prices are roughly four times higher for DDR3 RAM compared to DDR2 on Crucial's website. It's easy to pop 4GB into your MacBook for $100, but for $400? :rolleyes: