Exam tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macbook pro i5, May 10, 2012.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Hi got my exams in two weeks and need tips here are my subjects:

Science(bit of biology,physics and chem are dominant)

English(Comprehension,Annotating poem,Writing two eassys

Maths(Algebra-Exponents expanding and factorizing brackets,easy trig and Pythagorus theorem.Measurement eg conversions area perimeter circumference parts of circle)

Design-The isometric drawings,the design process etc.

Would really love input on how to revise for these subjects,Each and every answer is appreciated:)

2. Dr McKay, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I don't have specifics, but do not cram at the last minute, and make sure you get a good nights sleep before the exam. Revise and then sleep. A good nights sleep has been proven to help a person remember up to 30% more information. Sleeping helps your brain process and absorb the information it was presented with during the day.

Also make little notes, with vital info on, and stick them up, little things that are likely exam questions. Being exposed to these pieces of information often helps, when I was studying for Watchman Radar maintainance, I used to stick post-it notes around my mirror with crucial voltages and frequencies on them. As I shaved and brushed my teeth they'd be there to read, and thet sunk in.

3. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thanks a lot for the advice:)
    Is it a good idea to listen to music while going over notes?

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

Revise? I assume that's the British equivalent for studying? edit: nevermind, New Zealand.

Anyway, for math, the best way to study is to do a lot of practice problems. Reading the book can only help so much. Same for isometric/oblique/2D drawings (I don't have experience with isometric in regards to design classes, but I took an engineering CAD class that required these drawings).

5. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Any one that can get in the specifics for some of the subjects?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do practice problems or write practice essays.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If it helps you focus, something happy. I doubt listening to 80's Speed Metal would help. ;)

8. calb macrumors 6502

Generally you'll want to revise in the conditions you'll be in when you sit the exam. I don't see any harm in listening to music while going through and organising notes, but make sure to do practice papers in exam conditions (timed preferably).

The most important thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. Go on the exam board's website and go through the most recent papers. Do them in exam conditions, then go through the mark scheme and pick up on any areas you weren't sure about.

Edit: Given that your exams are only two weeks away, you probably want to cover the content within the next couple of days, then do the practice papers as soon as possible so you can identify your weaker areas.

9. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thats a lot of notes to go through:eek: but nonetheless I have to:(

10. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I only cram. Never studied until 24h before exam, then studied for 24h straight. I still remember quite a bit.

Not recommended for everyone.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

These sound like high school exams, in which case the best advice is: cheat.

12. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh hell no!!!
    Cambridge would kick me out:eek:

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't listen to anything acidfast7 has to say.

Beyond that, when it comes to math and science subjects, I'd recommend not only doing practice problems but focusing on understanding the fundamental processes. Don't concern yourself so much with how to solve a particular problem but rather why these systems behave they do. Understanding the why will make the how almost obvious.

14. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thank you this is the best piece of advice I have gotten here:)

15. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Look at the curriculum, the headlines in your books and hold it up with your notes. This will give you an overview. Fill in with details from your textbooks if there is time and need for it.

Do not study the last day before an exam. You have to prepare yourself mentally for going through the exam, or you will get nervous and lose confidence in your abilities to nail an A. This applies in particular to Mathematics and Science.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is truth for all subjects bounded by math (in many ways). Always try to understand what is going on and why something is happening. There are several ways you can do a problem (or certain problems). Understanding why is key. Memorization in math is suicide.

Also, for other subjects, such as English only learning by memorization is key.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Often music without lyrics helps me to focus more. Depends what you like listening to though I guess. For me I quite like ambient and electronica so I listen to that when revising.

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If you listen to music only listen to non-vocal music like classical or trance. Voices are more distracting than you think.

I assume you're doing NCEA, well I gave up and did CUP at Waikato. So **** out of luck. :p

19. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

What about dubstep? Is that fine?

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You'll just have to try and find out. Figure out what music makes you concentrate the best.

21. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

listen to trance (http://paris-one.com)
    2 weeks is not enough to learn many concepts in a math-based subject
    2 weeks is long enough to do a huge amount of memorization

learning/understanding takes a huge amount of time and it takes repeated cycles of learning/sleeping to comprehend (i never studied until the last 24h because I could learn/understand just by going to the lectures.)

you probably have a week or so left, i would prioritize and memorize only, that will produce the best result with the time left.

22. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Stop scaring me:eek::D

23. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Nah yr 10 but got Cambridge exams:eek: