Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Identical twin looks at your X to unlock it.

A stranger quickly grabs your phone without you even realising it and puts it in front of your face and runs off.

You’re at dinner with your other half, you’ve got your X on the table and because you keep looking at it, it’s always unlocking, and as it unlocks for the 47th time, you get a notification and your nosey other half quickly picks it up and swipes up to check it out.

You’re in bed asleep, you wake up in the middle of the night and accidentally look at your phone which unlocks it, and as you roll over to go back to sleep, your one night stand gets out of bed and quickly tip toes to your side of the bed to stalk what’s inside your phone.

Now some of you will say these are all extreme examples, but Apple has made a big deal about how water tight Face ID will be. Apple may have perfected Face ID to such an extent that it probably will be more secure than touch ID in terms of trying to knock down the wall, we don't know yet, but testing it in labs is different to real world use where the different permutations for fail are so much greater. And some of these permutations are not even a thing yet. Will Face ID discriminate between an intentional look and an unintentional look? Who knows, but I’m tipping it’s not that sophisticated to be able to differentiate between the two. Face ID will rely on the user looking at the sensor, intentionally or not, whereas touch ID relies on a press of your unique finger print. If you’re the sort of person who doesn’t like people browsing through your phone, then touch ID is perfect. You can leave it lying around,you can walk off, and no one can get in. In the 4 years that touch ID has been part of the iPhone, I have not heard or read one reported incident of someone accessing someone else’s iPhone because of a touch id fail. Not one. That is phenomenal. Yet Apple decided to fix something that wasn’t broken, not just unbroken, but close to being as perfect as you can get. Or maybe they weren’t trying to fix anything, maybe they couldn’t get the technology that they really wanted: touch id under the screen.

I said in an OP of mine last week not to underestimate how much you will be forced to change habits. The above examples won’t scare people off face id, which is not my intention anyway, but they demonstrate how you will be forced to change some of your habits. And if you successfully change habits, then all well and good, but don’t slip up, because one slip up is all that it will take. I anticipate that Face ID fail paranoia will be the new dropping your phone paranoia. With touch id, it was virtually impossible to slip up.

Here’s a couple more examples.

You’re having drinks with friends. You’re a little bit drunk so you’re not thinking properly. You get up to go get another drink, as you get up, you look at your phone and without realising it, it unlocks, only for you to come back and see your friends ‘hacking’ your Facebook account, or whatever. And this applies to any situation where you leave your phone for a moment.

You’re in hospital recovering from an operation. Your friends who love to annoy you unexpectedly pay you a visit. Before you even realise what's going on, one of them grabs your X from the side table and shoves it in your face, causing the X to unlock. Of course you can’t chase the friend because your leg is in a cast, all the while all your friends are playing with your phone, reading your messages, or whatever, just to annoy you.

The possibilities of these types of fail are endless. Endless!

While alot of you are counting down the days to the X hitting the stores, even as I type this, criminal gangs are probably devising new methods of how to go about unlocking your X right in front of your face. And they’re probably rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect.

Face ID more secure than touch ID??? I think not.

Reactions: g75d3

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Identical twin looks at your X to unlock it.

You’re at dinner with your other half, you’ve got your X on the table and because you keep looking at it, it’s always unlocking, and as it unlocks for the 47th time, you get a notification and your nosey other half quickly picks it up and swipes up to check it out.

You’re in bed asleep, you wake up in the middle of the night and accidentally look at your phone which unlocks it, and as you roll over to go back to sleep, your one night stand gets out of bed and quickly tip toes to your side of the bed to stalk what’s inside your phone.

You’re having drinks with friends. You’re a little bit drunk so you’re not thinking properly. You get up to go get another drink, as you get up, you look at your phone and without realising it, it unlocks, only for you to come back and see your friends ‘hacking’ your Facebook account, or whatever. And this applies to any situation where you leave your phone for a moment.

You’re in hospital recovering from an operation. Your friends who love to annoy you unexpectedly pay you a visit. Before you even realise what's going on, one of them grabs your X from the side table and shoves it in your face, causing the X to unlock. Of course you can’t chase the friend because your leg is in a cast, all the while all your friends are playing with your phone, reading your messages, or whatever, just to annoy you.

There's a very simple solution to every single one of these examples - only leave your phone where people you can trust can get at it. If you can't trust your friends and partner then frankly that's a problem no technology can fix.

I highly doubt any thief is going to be able to actually unlock your phone with your face, and even if they do the iCloud activation lock makes it entirely useless to them.

swedegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
I do not agree with his arguments.... most of those hold true for Touch ID as well......( passed out using someone’s fingerprint etc.)..... BUT I do think that the face is will have issues with:
1. Sunglasses
2. Hats/tobagans
3. Bright sunlight

Which means that people will have to punch in their passcode MUCH more often....

Reactions: chabig

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Lol these scenarios are ludicrous. You've got quite an imagination and evidently a bit of time on your hands.

You obviously don't like the idea of Face ID, but it might be prudent to wait until it's released and see how it actually works in real world scenarios. Also, there's quite a distinction between "examples" and "hypothesis".

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I have to punch in my passcode constantly using touchId. I'm really sick of this. I really need faceId .

Reactions: nickyD410

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
While alot of you are counting down the days to the X hitting the stores, even as I type this, criminal gangs are probably devising new methods of how to go about unlocking your X right in front of your face. And they’re probably rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect.

Face ID more secure than touch ID??? I think not.

Criminal types are always devising new methods of breaching security. That is why they are criminal types. That is why security measures constantly have to be one upped. All the fanciful scenarios you barfed up, someone said similar negative things about Touch ID when it hit the market. I’d be more concerned about my CC being skimmed at a convenience store that Face ID being compromised.

I find it amusing that some here don’t think Apple, with all its human and financial resources and market acumen, didn’t think of those possibilities when it designed Face ID and worked to prevent them. Sorry, you weren’t the first to ask those questions.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Okay so you’re skydiving and just jumped out of the plane with your instructor strapped to your back; he takes your phone out of your pocket and holds it in front of your face as you look hopelessly at it in absolute fear as he then goes through your nudes falling to the earth because Face ID is such poor security.

Am I participating in this thread correctly?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, it would be a good idea to ask your wife to read over your posts before engaging the submit button.

Your posts about a phone that hasn't been released are unbalanced (in many ways).

In my opinion, spending the amount of time and negative thought you have on an inanimate object (iPhone X) is unhealthy and is starting to enter the obsession zone.

You don't like the phone. Fine. There is no need to convince others to hate the phone as well. We don't need your help in making reasoned opinions. It is clear that you are the last person around here, that should be advising anyone about decisions.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Please not another thread about Face ID and how accurate it is, for the last week or so there have been so many ridiculous situation ideas about how Face ID could be tricked that it's now getting really old. Touch ID had the same think, before it came out people were talking about what would happen if someone cut off your finger :rolleyes: and Touch ID was proven to be great, i personally think Face ID will be the same, let's just wait and see. The Proof will be in the pudding.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Not to be rude OP, but almost all of the scenarios you bring up involve not being able to trust those closest to you (wife, family, friends). If you are really that concerned about people you should be able to trust snooping through your phone, you might be better served evaluating the kind of people you surround yourself with rather than worrying about the model of phone in your pocket. I’d also wonder what sorts of information you keep in your phone that would make your wife feel she needs to snoop though it...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Does no one remember how when TouchID first came out people came up with all these scenarios, like your partner touches it against your finger while you're asleep, or someone lifts your prints off a surface you touched, etc?

If you're too afraid of these ridiculous scenarios that never actually happen in real life then don't use the feature.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
okay that's it for me then.

First I was juggling between the 8 Plus and X.
After reading this topic I decided to leave Apple completely.

I am going ol' skool again: Just bought myself the brandnew 2017 Nokia 3310 (the on with a quad hd oled screen)

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Sounds like the OP is doing things he shouldn’t be doing in his phone. If you have nothing to hide then it shouldn’t matter what your other half finds in your phone.

fabianvs

Suspended
Jun 12, 2009
FL
What are you hiding on your phone anyway? Jesus who cares. Stop taking it so seriously. Leave your phone in your pocket and enjoy the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.