Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
In the iPhone and Apple Watch forums there seem to be an excess of such threads. For instance, in the AppleWatch forum two threads exist that do the exact same thing.

Don't get me started on the several threads on the same topic in the iPhone forums.

This is becoming maddening on who wants to make a mega thread.

This will be an unpopular opinion to some, but something has to be done with all those threads. Some type of control or management to reduce (not eliminate) the sheer amount of them.

maflynn

Moderator emeritus
May 3, 2009
I hear what you're saying and I won't disagree but its a temporary phenomenon. If the threads are duplicated, report the offending thread - bonus points to include the destination thread url to merger too. That helps the Mods immensely as it eases the burden of finding the duplicate.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.41.41 AM.png

Open a thread like that, then click the Ignore button at the top right and you won't see the thread any longer.

Like @maflynn mentioned, send in a report of the duplicate thread and we can take a look at it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For instance, in the AppleWatch forum two threads exist that do the exact same thing.
We reviewed the report you sent in, and agree ideally those threads would have been good candidates for a merge. One is order tracking all watches and the other is tracking only the Ultra model. The problem is the Ultra thread is quite mature and 52 pages long, so merging it at this point would create a confusing mess. For this reason we elected to just leave those two threads as they are, and try to catch this earlier on next time around.

Thanks for sending in the report.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We reviewed the report you sent in, and agree ideally those threads would have been good candidates for a merge. One is order tracking all watches and the other is tracking only the Ultra model. The problem is the Ultra thread is quite mature and 52 pages long, so merging it at this point would create a confusing mess. For this reason we elected to just leave those two threads as they are, and try to catch this earlier on next time around.

Thanks for sending in the report.
Unless I'm missing the boat in this thread... in the AW forum there are these threads regarding ordering an apple watch:
- Apple Watch 2022, Apple Watch Ultra/Series 8/SE, Pre-Orders/Order Status/Delivery Status/*Shipped* Thread (U.S.A./Worldwide)
- UK Apple Watch Series 8/Ultra Pre-Orders and Dispatch Thread
- Verizon Wireless Ultra Watch Order Status

The first thread is an attempt to channel responses to create a mega-thread, which was touched on in this thread:

This was my comment then: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/duplicate-posts.2348262/post-31206892

It seems there was some leniency declared by the staff in allowing ordering threads by region or carrier etc. I agree having meaningless duplicate threads without differentiation should be consolidated if necessary.

Reactions: KaliYoni

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Unless I'm missing the boat in this thread... in the AW forum there are these threads regarding ordering an apple watch:
- Apple Watch 2022, Apple Watch Ultra/Series 8/SE, Pre-Orders/Order Status/Delivery Status/*Shipped* Thread (U.S.A./Worldwide)
- UK Apple Watch Series 8/Ultra Pre-Orders and Dispatch Thread
- Verizon Wireless Ultra Watch Order Status

The first thread is an attempt to channel responses to create a mega-thread, which was touched on in this thread:

This was my comment then: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/duplicate-posts.2348262/post-31206892

It seems there was some leniency declared by the staff in allowing ordering threads by region or carrier etc. I agree having meaningless duplicate threads without differentiation should be consolidated if necessary.
There is also this one:

Yes, the whole by carrier thing has to consolidated in all forums. I understand there is an ignore button, but that still just hides the issue under a rug.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

maflynn

Moderator emeritus
May 3, 2009
Yes, the whole by carrier thing has to consolidated in all forums
So in the link above, are you looking to have a single mega-thread for every order, regardless of country, type, and carrier?

I'm assuming you are (sorry if you're not), and I'll put in my $.02, that I'm not fan of a mega-threads and having order threads broken out by region/country or type, or even carrier can make sense. I can see how people ordered through Verizon and wanted to focus the topic on VZW specific issues not having their issues buried in other chatter about other carriers.

Edit: Let me say this issue isn't black and white, and its really not clear cut. All I can say is that these things tend to disappear fairly quickly, as its really a phenomenon related to a new product rollout

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is also this one:

Yes, the whole by carrier thing has to consolidated in all forums. I understand there is an ignore button, but that still just hides the issue under a rug.
I'll start off with the same sentiment as maflynn, I'm not a fan of mega-threads. This post by DRQ https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/duplicate-posts.2348262/post-31214059 touches on the thinking of the staff about mega threads.

On the phone side, I participated in the VZW ordering thread as I wanted information specific to VZW. So for me it worked out there was a thread that met my needs.

On the iphone there is a photography thread labeled this:
- Pictures Taken with *NEW* iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max Photos Up Thread - Worldwide - (2022-2023)

Should I be forced to post there if I want to talk about using the iphone pro max specifically for cityscapes or astrophotography etc?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
So in the link above, are you looking to have a single mega-thread for every order, regardless of country, type, and carrier?

I'm assuming you are (sorry if you're not), and I'll put in my $.02, that I'm not fan of a mega-threads and having order threads broken out by region/country or type, or even carrier can make sense. I can see how people ordered through Verizon and wanted to focus the topic on VZW specific issues not having their issues buried in other chatter about other carriers.

Edit: Let me say this issue isn't black and white, and it’s really not clear cut. All I can say is that these things tend to disappear fairly quickly, as its really a phenomenon related to a new product rollout
Indeed not a clear cut debacle on its own. And no, I agree each carrier has its own perks of doing things different.

Perhaps a forum dedicated just to orders and their breakdowns can happen by regions, carriers and such. That way the main focus of the main forum isn’t taken away.

For instance, several threads about issues with iPhones are pushed aside due to the amount of “order” threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.