Exchanging a 2.0 Macbook for a 2.4 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Luke1robb, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

    Luke1robb

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
    #1
    So, I've had a couple little problems with my 2.0 Aluminum Macbook, including loose battery door and loose black piece on the back (hinge?). So I'm planning on taking it in and getting it replaced, but my question is: Do you think I can exchange it for the 2.4 Aluminum Macbook (obviously paying the difference)?

    I plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 years, use it primarily for everyday functions, internet, word processing, garageband, iCal, and a couple more apps, do you think its worth the extra .4 GHz in the long run? I plan on updating the HD at some point anyway and RAM as well. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Luke
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    i dont know first hand, but never hurts to try when you bring it in
     
  3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    Around
    #3
    I did it and here's my thread about it.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=593111
     
  4. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Luke1robb

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
    #4
    Can anyone shed some light on the decision for me? Should I have a 2.0 or 2.4?
     
  5. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #5
    You can upgrade almost everything in a MacBook. (Ram, HDD) What you cannot most certainly upgrade is the CPU.

    So .4GHz is not much now, but in a near future, that can change a lot.
     
  6. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Luke1robb

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
    #6
    So despite my uses, you would recommend me exchanging for the 2.4?
     
  7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    Around
    #7
    I would go for it... and I did :D
     
  8. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #8
    If you think your computer is defective, take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say. If they say they need to do an exchange, you can exchange for whatever computer you want...just pay the difference. If it's not defective, your only hope is if its within the 14 days. Then you'll have to pay the restocking fee + the difference.
     
  9. 156457 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Well when I had a dodgy iPod touch 16GB and took it in I said if I get it replaced can I pay the difference and get a 32GB and they said definitely not. I asked why and they said they just don't have the tools or the power to do that.
     
  10. California macrumors 68040

    California

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    #10
    I did it no problem within the 14 day period.

    Happy. The firewire and screen issues remain but there is that extra speed and backlit keys.
     
  11. Jorojr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    #11
    My 2.4 is arriving tomorrow. As many have mentioned, you can upgrade everything except the CPU so instead of 2nd guessing my purchase, i went with the better unit.

    I could of went the entry level MBP, but then tomorrow's box wouldn't contain the 32GB 2G Ipod touch :cool:.
     

Share This Page