iPhone XR Excitement passing by and bulkiness says hello

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by austyn23, Oct 30, 2018.

1. austyn23 macrumors regular

austyn23

A few days just passed by with the new XR on my hands... great screen, amazing battery life, nice "all screen" design.... but

The weight, the thickness....is saying hello to me.

My iphone 7 it´s over the table waiting for his new owner but for some reason I didn't reset it yet... it feels so great in hands and pockets....

I can´t remember a time where a new iphone absolutely blow the old off, oh yes, the 6s over my 5s, I never looked back. But with the 7 plus and the XR I have the same feeling: "Oh this is great, but the old one is more comfortable"

Give us a 7/8 form factor with the XR design Apple, even with the notch... I know the X is near this, but not yet, a little smaller, a little lighter, come on... (and with no eye strain for me please!)

2. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I hope that that I get used to my XR as I just sold my 8 tonight.

3. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

The xr is quite cumbersome compared to old smaller models.

4. jakja83, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

jakja83 macrumors member

I'm with you. Camera is fantastic, performance the same. But I constantly feel "this thing is heavy in hand", or I have to outstretch my hand to reach opposite corner.
    I have the XR and it is great, but to bulky. I am now looking for inventory of the SE. It is fantastic to go "light". Hopefully "SE2" arrives this spring.

I also feel the reception and voice clarity is below par?

5. bushman4 macrumors 68020

All the 2018 models are heavy as the glass back adds weight

6. Plx32 macrumors member

iPhone 8 has a glass back and is way lighter...

7. adamgbiggs, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

I think the weight is possibly down to the Stainless Steel band, steel is heavier than aluminium so that will add a bit more weight, and the fact it is a bit bigger than the 8, that will add to the overall feel too, I personally think it feels solid and premium, a nice weight to it but not too heavy.

*edit* ignore this post lol

Adam.

8. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

Isn’t it the X/XS that is stainless steel? The XR being Aluminium.

9. Sajal macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me when I was giving my X away and had the XS max in hand.

X or XS is probably a very good upgrade for people who like to use their phone single handedly.

10. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

Yes you are correct, I’m still tired and sleepy, I need another hours sleep to function correctly.

Adam.

11. SarZ macrumors regular

SarZ

I have a XS Max and a SE. The SE gets used more often than the Max!

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

The iPhone 8 is smaller than the Xr.

13. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Since the 6s it´s allways a few more mm and a few more grams, but 10 + 10 + 10.... the XR is big... at the end of the day I found myself using always the same, gmail, whatsapp, a little web browsing and not much more.

The camera is great but 99% of the photos go trough whatsapp to friends / family so there´s no need for amazing photos; and the portrait it´s great, sure, but I don´t use it a lot to justify carring a big phone.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

iPhones have been getting larger and larger since the first one.

Apple is only catering to it's user base.

15. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

So I went back to the iphone 7 and was like heaven... the size, the weight, the pocket feel.

I´m home now, sorry Apple, XR going back, hope an XR MINI next year...

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple is not going to make a phone smaller than the XS.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Steve knew that 3.5” is the right size. Everything else is an abomination.

18. JBGoode, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

But do you think that the iPhone screen would still be small today if Jobs were alive? I doubt it. It was the right size for the time when people actually used these things primarily as a communication device but that quickly evolved into something else. The phones would have gotten bigger under Steve too.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Yet, Jony Ive said they were working on iPhone 6 in 2011 when Steve was alive.

20. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Thank you Tim for the update! :D

21. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

not too sure why you just didnt go xs. The overall form factor is exactly like your 7. I had the X for a year and its the biggest size that feels comfortable in your hand/pocket ect...
    the Xr doesnt feel anything like the Xs in my opinion its basically a slightly smaller max model.
    Why didnt you give the xs a shot? or even last years X?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    will you be saying that 20 years from now? the 3.5" model should of been the only phone size? Common now we all know tech evolves and larger screen sizes(to a point) offer much better enjoyment than a 3.5" phone.
    Im sure Steve would agree as he adapted to the changing world and offered different sizes of phones. He would totally fine with the size of the X at least. Might not of gone the plus size route with any of the phones though.

22. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Oh I did, but the eye strain was so painful!

I agree, the X and XR are really different in hand, that extra mm and grams on the XR make it (for me) too bulky

23. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

too bad. id hate my life if I got eye strain with the oled models because I love the screens so much. I wouldnt want an Xr model besides the product red color

24. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Yes, I miss the "all screen design", the 7 looks so old with this bezels... but the size, thickness and weight is brilliant.

25. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Well, I’ve been a proponent of the SE for a long time (I went from 6 down to SE,) but there’s one thing in my work that would be nice to do with a larger phone screen, so I bought an XR yesterday. I’m typing on it now, but this thing is going back today. At this large size, and nearly double the weight, it just isn’t practical for my freaking pants. I mean, I don’t wear skinny jeans, but my clothes are slim, and I can barely sit in my car with the XR in my pocket. No thanks.

I could get an XS, but it still feels big, so I can’t justify the price. I’d pay $1k right now for an SE sized phone with the newer, all-over screen design.