"Excuse me, Pardon me, Excuse me, coming through"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jimbo1mcm, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I'm working my way through the Iwatch people to get to the rMB on launch day.

2. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Have you heard of anyone who wants an iWatch?

3. iRun26.2, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

4. newellj macrumors 601

I don't want one, and I'm not going to buy one, but I started watching the movies on the Apple Watch pages last night out of curiosity. The depth and breadth of the imagination (and risk taking) that have gone into this is breathtaking. Given the by-appointment arrangement for try-ons next Friday I don't think the crowds will be too awful. Here's hoping, anyway.

5. JonnyIreland, Apr 4, 2015

JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I mentioned in another thread that I am also dreading the crowds of Watch gawkers on April 10th when I'm trying to the purchase the rMB, if they could even have released it on April 9th instead!

6. CD3660, Apr 4, 2015

CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

7. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I'm torn between the Air and the rMB and wanted to try it out in person. I wanted to buy it while I am in Hawaii (4% sales tax) instead of the 10% in LA. Unfortunately, that means the only day I can do that is on the 10th since I leave on the 11th...which puts me right in the madhouse of people coming to look at the watch. I'm with you guys I really wish they had used different dates - I don't anticipate crowds for the rMB but Apple stores are already crazy, I didn't want to have to contend with watch looky-loos.

But to save 6% sales tax (either about $60 or $80) on either $999 or $1299 I'll absolutely contend with the crowds.

8. newellj macrumors 601

I could obviously be totally wrong, but I don't foresee a madhouse in general. Specific store layouts and locations could be problematic, I guess. It's worth going in to check, I think.

9. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No... you know the reason they're doing it is to create a busy store environment that the media loves to feed on. It's a way to get free publicity. Absolutely they could have had them on separate days, but then you wouldn't have as packed of a store, and not as big of a news story.

----------

That was a REALY long post just to tell us you'll save about $60 ... lol. Not to mention Hawaii stores typically get merchandise a day after the mainland. I was there for the last Macbook Air release, and the store said it takes an extra day because they have to ship them from the CA regional distribution hubs.

I don't think people realize how Apple's distribution works. When they have staged launches like computers and phones, etc... the inventory is staged for the stores in local warehouses (i.e. in the northern CA\OR\northern NV region, it's staged in Elk Grove), southern CA in Ontario. Then Apple contracts a courier service to deliver the stock to the stores the day of the release, often multiple times per day. Why do you think in the morning they'll get some, then tell you to come back later in the day? UPS\FedEx come once a day... their courier comes multiple times for big launches.

Bottom line, they can't courier the product out to the islands in the above mentioned process, so they have to UPS\FedEx them out.

In the past, I've bought my laptops in Oregon... saves 10% over buying here in CA.. and is a real nice discount when ordered online under the corporate discount. Making a special trip up there is impractical, but I'm in Portland for work every other month, so when it coincides, it works. But at the end of the day, if I'm going to buy a $1200 laptop, saving a couple percentage points really is irrelevant to me.

----------

I did enjoy your thread topic.

Though I'd rather it say "Hey, can you get out of my way? I know you're here to look at a product you can't even buy today, but I'm ready to spend money, so please step aside and stop wasting their time when you can't buy."

10. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

I suspect it's going to be ever so slightly easier to buy it than some are making it out to be

And the entitlement, lol

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Not that I've asked, but I haven't heard any iPhone users mention the iWatch or wanting an iWatch IRL.

I just got a new 13" MBA on Monday, but I'm still interested in trying the keyboard on the 12" MB. Regardless, I'll wait for the inevitable "new product issues" to get sorted out if I do like it enough to buy one.

12. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I only know one, and he does want to try it on before making a decision.

----------

I'm hoping they will manage it well enough. When the iPhone6/6+ came out, my local store had a line for it, and whoever wanted something else could come in right away. They also had dedicated people for those of us who weren't interested in the iPhone, and the store layout was easy enough to navigate. I went in on that day to buy an iPad (I forgot it was launch day) and didn't have to wait more than a few minutes.

Might depend on the store, though.

13. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Gawkers.

There might be the curious. Not sure about sales though.

14. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I honestly think it will be the other way around! Way more talk about the new MacBook then the Watch on all the tech sites I read....

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Why would you walk though the line of people lined up outside the store?

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The Watch doesn't leave much to talk about, especially on the techy side of the demographic.

----------

Why wouldn't you? The line is generally for people with reservations or are waiting to be called. Not people who just want to go inside the store.

17. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

A co-worker wants one.
    It's not available here (yet), so he's going to pre-order it in the next country.

Also the staff at the local AppleStore hoped to have display-units of the new MB on April 10th - they probably won't ship before the 26th or so.

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

International locations almost always lag the US in release and shipping. Look at any product's "preordered" thread.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

21. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Since when has an Apple computer been more popular or hyped than an iOS device? Pretty much never.

22. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Me too. There will be a lot more people interested in an iWatch when they see what other people are doing with it

----------

But is there much hype built up around the rMB? I thought it was mainly just a few of us on this web-site.

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think there is hype around the new MacBook but not as much as there was for the original MBA or the first rMBP.

24. newellj macrumors 601

25. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

That's usually how it goes for anything not having the word "phone" in it.

10% of computer users in the US use mac, that's roughly 35 million people. If 1/10th of them want the new laptop, that's 3.5 million nationwide.

Compare that to the iPhone, where half of American smartphone users, or about 100 million have iPhones, and say half of them want to upgrade to the new model, that's 50 million, or about 15x the popularity of the product.

Definitely just a bunch of excited people here... not that there's anything wrong with that, because if you get in front of me in line I'm gunna knock you down ... all of you.. heheh... kidding. I want my new macbook though.