Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Expanded watchOS 4 Heart Rate Monitoring Features Not Available on Original Apple Watch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

watchOS 4 introduces an expanded Heart Rate app that's able to track your current heart rate, your resting heart rate, average heart rate while walking, and your recovery rate after exercising, providing more information about your overall health. It's also able to send alerts if it detects a heart rate above 120 when you're not exercising.

These features are available on the new Apple Watch Series 3 models and the Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 1 models that were introduced in 2016, but some of the features are not available original Apple Watch models sold in 2015.

As Twitter users discovered after downloading watchOS 4 earlier this week, the original Apple Watch is only able to display current heart rate with a much simpler interface for the heart rate app, with no sign of resting heart rate or average walking heart rate. The app does offer the heart rate graph with a tap on the display, though.

Original Apple Watch image via @jgirl125a

It's not entirely clear why the original Apple Watch doesn't offer the full range of heart rate features, but it may be due to hardware limitations. The first Apple Watch offers an original S1 processor, which has since been significantly upgraded in Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 updates, and its battery life is not as robust.

Apple discontinued the original Apple Watch in 2016 when the Series 2 was introduced, replacing it with the Series 1 Apple Watch. The Series 1 model is similar to the original Apple Watch, but features an upgraded S1P processor. The Series 2 Apple Watch uses an S2 processor, and the Series 3 Apple Watch uses an S3 processor.

Article Link: Expanded watchOS 4 Heart Rate Monitoring Features Not Available on Original Apple Watch

antglin

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
Ugh Apple, seriously? I’m an owner of the stainless steel 1st gen Apple Watch and I’m not looking for an upgrade yet since it’s in a pretty good condition. Why should my watch not get the watchOS 4 features if my watch’s hardware is practically identical to Apple Watch Series 1 except for the faster processor. Ridiculous!

I would rather have Apple remove other useless features like ToyStory Watch faces and let me use a feature that I was actually looking forward to.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It still tells time, sends me texts, alerts and can answer phone calls, gives me tons of notifications, can arm or disarm my home alarm, and provide me all sorts of distance information and scoring on the golf course.

As well as actively monitor statistics during workouts.

Comment

mostman

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, so click that UI element right there and you’ll get the expanded graph. I have an OG Watch and it shows the graph. The only thing missing is the resting heart rate.

Reactions: Big Alsie
Comment

StevenU

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
New York
Yeah, so click that UI element right there and you’ll get the expanded graph. I have an OG Watch and it shows the graph. The only thing missing is the resting heart rate.
Same thing here. I also have the original Apple Watch and it seems to show the graph. See below....

Attachments

• 775E2DA2-389C-4340-8204-DE95D19669B8.jpeg
    775E2DA2-389C-4340-8204-DE95D19669B8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15,048
Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Ugh Apple, seriously? I’m an owner of the stainless steel 1st gen Apple Watch and I’m not looking for an upgrade yet since it’s in a pretty good condition. Why should my watch not get the watchOS 4 features if my watch’s hardware is practically identical to Apple Watch Series 1 except for the faster processor. Ridiculous!

I would rather have Apple remove other useless features like ToyStory Watch faces and let me use a feature that I was actually looking forward to.
To get you to buy, buy, buy, buy, buy....

Reactions: agsystems
Comment

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Same thing here. I also have the original Apple Watch and it seems to show the graph. See below....

Yep. Made it clearer that resting heart rate and walking average are the missing features, not the heart rate graph. I'm also not sure if it has the same recovery info after exercising.

Comment

Kettil

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
I agree this seems disappointing, but correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a watch yet); most of these features can be found in third party HRV apps and the like?

Comment

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah I bought what was it $1149 Stainless Black original watch. It is a bummer, but it works ok otherwise.

I don't think it's the end of the world, but first gen apple devices sure do get cut off sooner.

The reason I purchased the least expensive Series One Sport Watch. Figured in the first two years Apple would make significant changes, and they did. Likewise, my Series One Watch more then adequate, less the new features. Therefore, will wait a bit longer to upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Has anyone with a gen 1 watch had an alert for rapid heart rate when not exercising?
Seems this feature is not included with the software update either..

Comment

bkaus

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

A faster more efficient processor makes a huge difference. I wouldn’t call that “practically the same”.

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
How about the two key safety features: 1. Arrhythmia and 2. Tachycardia monitoring?

We ordered the new watches but planned to use our gen 0 watches when sleeping for monitoring and alerting on these functions.

Reactions: iGeek2014
Comment

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Has anyone with a gen 1 watch had an alert for rapid heart rate when not exercising?
Seems this feature is not included with the software update either..

I haven’t had the alert, but you have to set it up in the iPhone Health App. It’s definitely an option.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
How about the two key safety features: 1. Arrhythmia and 2. Tachycardia monitoring?

We ordered the new watches but planned to use our gen 0 watches when sleeping for monitoring and alerting on these functions.
You can get the elevated heartrate when inactive alerts on s0, but the arrythmia monitoring is part of the US only Stanford study later this year. Pending results, slated for a future wOS release I presume.

Reactions: Big Alsie and nicho
Comment

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
I have not been able to find any documentation if apple has changed its sampling from every 10 minutes to continuous. Fitbit charge hr measures heart rate every 5 seconds and according to apple the Watch does it every 10 minutes so if you get a bad heart rate inside those 10 minutes then you are out of luck? During a workout the Watch will sample continuously but not during regular times.

For this new feature to work the heart rate sampling should be continuous or else it seems completely meaningless. Does anyone have more information on this if apple changed the 10 minute interval.

And one more thing - am I the only one who thinks that is the ugliest graph ever

Reactions: iLoveDeveloping
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.