Expect long lines 7/11: AT&T requires in store activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Diode, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

In a recent press conference AT&T had with analysts AT&T mentioned when you buy the new iPhone you will have to get the phone activated IN THE STORE (Apple or ATT).

It's going to be a mess come July 11th ...

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Link?

I just don't see this happening. Apple loves the idea of easy activation at home with iTunes.

3. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Seems a little to complicated and it goes against Apples approach to simplicity.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I cannot see this ever happening
    the lines would be out of control

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The press conference happened this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure this was confirmed.

6. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Here is the link mentioned in the OP.

Also, check the Apple Store - you cannot even buy the current iPhone from their site anymore (even refurbs or clearance). You have to buy it in person.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I swear I was just thinking about how crazy the lines will be on 7/11. That is why I will be @ the local AT&T store here bright and early. They open @ 8AM and they're about 5-7 minutes from my job walking distance. Thank God I don't have to be @ work till 9AM.

8. otis123 macrumors 6502a

no, thats the dumbest thing i ever heard, why would they set up itunes activation just for 1 phone?

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

And the iPhone will be unveiled at 6pm probably.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Last June, an AT&T CS rep swore to me on a stack of user contracts that everyone would have to activate in-store. I reminded him that you'd be able to buy the phone in an Apple store. He said AT&T would be there, activating phones. This all turned out to be horse feathers of course.

I call the same horse and feathers this year. Walk in, buy phone, walk out, activate at home. Done.

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Seeing as the Apple online store says that iPhones will only be sold via Apple Retail and AT&T Retail, I'm going to say this is accurate.

Unless something new comes out in the weeks to come (which I hope it does), say bye bye iTunes activations.

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

EXACTLY.... if the phone can be purchased in an Apple Store, how are they going to activate the phones there? Are they going to train the Apple Store employees to activate phones also are they going to get paid extra for the added duties?? is AT&T going to have staff and equipment setup in store to activate phones???

I wonder how this whole thing is going to pan out...

13. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

While I was fed the same hogwash last June we didn't have a AT&T exec make the statement. We also didn't have a phone that was subsidized by AT&T. If you look at the press release posted earlier AT&T announced a expected revenue drop to make up for the new lower price.

This means that AT&T is paying Apple to allow us for a cheap phone. I don't think they want to lose out on the subsidy by having people buy a phone and unlock it. They want you to at least pay a ETF if you do ....

14. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

From Gizmodo:

Article link

That's it, folks.

15. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

In store activation only? Does Apple know how incompetent AT&T employees are? This has disaster written all over it.

16. barcode252 macrumors newbie

I still doubt

Taking the activation out of itunes would change the way all firmware updates work. I cant see Apple changing that.

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

then dont buy it ! either you get it activated in AT&T store or Apple.

Stop bitching.. your getting the phone at lower price. Little price to pay for a discounted phone.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Agreed. What if we have to restore? We have to go back to the AT&T store to reactivate?

Gizmodo has gotten it wrong before. They'll do it again.

And even AT&T executives can be misinformed.

I'll believe in-store activation when I see it.

19. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

wow

ima go to 7/11 on 7/11 instead. no lines there ;)

20. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Bitching? Don't buy it? Get a clue, I made a simple comment about the employees in AT&T stores(at least were I live being clowns)and that 7/11 will be a complete disaster if activation is in store only.

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just because you activate with another program doesn't mean that you can't use iTunes for everything else...

"The activation in our stores and in Apple stores will be the same, with the same prices" - taken directly from the conference call. They're talking about fraud/unlocking prevention, which is a problem that was even acknowledged during the keynote today.

22. touchyphone macrumors regular

^^ Totally, great point, what if you need a restore? Take trip backl to the store, that's non sense. I dont believe any of this until it happens, even if the CEO's of the world say something and write releases. Things can chage in days....So happy I have my Ist Gen iPhone, today was a great day for 1st Genners for sure if you look back at it.

23. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

It really was, at first mention of the 3G price, I figured the value of G1 phones would plummet, but as more and more details come out.. I do believe the value is going to skyrocket...

24. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Why do you guys think you would have to go back to the store if you restored your phone? It will work like it currently does, after restoring it you will have to connect to iTunes so that it can query the AT&T database to make sure you're SIM # is in there.

25. Mr Ikasu macrumors member

How about it works that you activate on iTunes before July 11th.
    THEN get some kind of code which you take into an Apple/AT&T store. They check and see that you have activated a contract and sell you the reduced phone.

Sound plausible?