All iPads Expectations for Ipad Max (12.9)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phonzoxd, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Ok, now that rumors about Ipad max are circulating again I have some questions we may want to think about.

Will it become the flagship Ipad?

Seeing as how the 10inch Ipad is the flagship Ipad with the Mini getting slightly downgraded internals (mainly due to lower price point and less hardware needed to drive its display), will the Ipad Max have slightly better internals and also cost slightly more.

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

We'll have to wait till it comes out to see how Apple promotes it.

There are several possible uses for a larger iPad.

For trade shows and point-of-sales applications, education or anywhere more than one person looks at the screen at the same time a larger screen would be helpful. This doesn't need faster electronics or more pixels.

For remote access of a desktop computer more real estate is helpful. There are enough pixels, the iPad has more pixels than most desktop/laptop computers. The problem is space. The digitizer on the screen is too coarse for you to easily select features on the screen. You have to zoom in to get them reliably. More real estate and a more precise digitizer would fix that.

Similarly, I can see all sorts of augmented reality applications that would benefit from more real estate. A better camera or multiple cameras or better located camera might help. How cool would it be to view a neighborhood and see where all the buried pipes and cables are, where the fence lines are and such as you move the iPad around?

For engineering or graphic design something with more horsepower might suit some, but not all, applications.

I'm not an artist but I can imagine that a larger canvas would be appreciated by those who "paint" on an iPad.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure the Apple guys will think about this a little harder. Anyway, it would seem that many applications would benefit from just getting a larger screen and maybe a better digitizer. Some would want more speed but probably a small minority.

3. bobright macrumors 601

4. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

I for one have only one wish for the 13" iPad, and that it has a true pressure sensitive pen support with palm rejection. That alone will make Wacom's Android offering and the Samsung Note 10.1 the laughing stock.

There are a lot of fantastic drawing programs on the iPad waiting for such support. All the art/drawing apps on Android I've used are terribly laughable.

----------

The rumoured 12.9" iPad.

5. t76turbo macrumors regular

My only expectation is that I will buy it. I use my current ipad almost exclusively for internet while sitting on the couch or comfy chair. I don't need portable that bad. But slightly bigger screen would be awesome.

I will be buying the ipad 5 and passing my 3 to my wife. If the larger version comes along soon I will need to shift again and give a kid my 3 and wife the 5.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So Apple is gonna try to compete with surface or other windows 8 12" tablet! Why not rite?

7. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Expectations for Ipad Max (12.9)

^^
    I was saying in an earlier thread about the Max, I would buy it for art apps alone. If the price is right of course. I could see it being a second screen when I use SBP on my Mac as well, and then being able to easily transfer or save work to it and just take it with me.

8. vanz macrumors newbie

I for sure would get a larger ipad if apple offers it.

I would like a split screen option that you can either browse 2 websites side by side or run two apps side by side. I hate switching it out all the time.

I really hope they fix the home screen...I don't care to have rows and rows of app icons. I have my essentials on the first page and the rest on the others. I wish they use that real estate for something of better use.

For this size ipad...would you really need a rear facing camera? Maybe cut cost by getting rid of this. Nah, maybe not....I'm going to take it to a concert and block the view for everyone behind me.

a smart cover with keyboard option (made by apple) would be awesome.

If a 32gb larger ipad is under a grand, I would definitely buy.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'll have to see one before deciding if I'll buy one, but I'm definitely interested. At that size, I believe Letter/A4 size documents can be viewed at full size. That would be useful.

10. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

You'd need a 13.9" screen to view a full size letter document, but close enough.

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

Knew that would come in handy one day.. eventually.

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Would have been leaks by now, so no truth to the so called rumor of a Max iPad. Its only 11 days before the event.. No Max now but perhaps next go around

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The rumor is that this would come out next fall.

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

14. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I could be interested in a Maxipad it certainly would be good for comics

15. Teste macrumors 6502

I doubt it. I think the "flagship" (as in, the one promoted the most, and most popular) will continue to be the most traditional iPad. It's also the one I expect to be faster, with better specs than the mini and able to devote less power to the display than the big iPad.

I would love a big iPad, though. It would be easier to type, and hopefully it would allow true multitasking - opening two apps at the same time. Right now, I really wish I could do that.

My only concern is the weight a device like this would have.

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Not sure what the specs would be, but it will certainty replace the current 9.7" iPad for having top specs. It's likely that the iPad 7.9" Mini and the full sized 9.7" will start to have very similar specs (as is rumored they will both have A7x - in a couple weeks) and then next fall the iPad Maxi will get the latest and greatest of apple's - meaning it will be what people call their "flagship" iPad.

17. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

18. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

If it is going to be used in education, they should make it a 15" or 17" screen. They couldn't call it iPad Max because it sounds too much like something else.

19. Ethanallen macrumors newbie

Ipad mini 2

i am waiting for the IPAD MINI 2 with retina display, when it was expected to release? :confused:

20. OSMac macrumors 65816

But if you subtract the 1/2 inch plus border border on any letter sized page it's perfect.

If it has a pen digitizer would be great.

21. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

iPad Pro

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If they made it that big it'd no longer be portable. For something to be useful as a tablet you need to be able to hold it with two hands.

And no, it's unlikely the official name will be iPad Max, but it's amusing to call it that. It's a simpler way to refer to it than "bigger size iPad" or some such clunky description.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Something I personally don't care if it never happens. And I suspect most of the consumer world would agree.

The geeks and the analysts will wet themselves over this idea, along with the whole 'real computer' notions but if it never happens most will never notice. Rather like the 'real Apple TV'

The 10 inch is already a bit clumsy for carrying around and a bigger would be more so. And few uses will really win out for that tiny bit more size.

If anything those that need larger need much much larger like a 30 inch screen. So say a new thinner Cinema Display with built in AirPlay tech (not the full box just that one bit of the kit) and modes even for 4k computer use to go with those Mac Pros as well as 1080p 'TV viewing' Then you cover a tons of uses with that screen. And if they could figure out a way to make the ACD act like a second screen with iOS devices more seamlessly, even more so.

----------

Because that is not and has never been their style.

Apple could have done this computer in a tablet ages ago. But they choose not to because it wasn't the right call. As they aren't likely going to change that decision cause some other company is barely finding success with the gambit. Remember that $900 million MS wrote off over the RT 1, well the actual sales of the RT and the Pro were only around $850 million. Not numbers Apple would use as proof they were wrong in their decision

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have no idea what you think such a thing will be used for. All *I* want is a slightly bigger iPad so I can read PDF without having to zoom in and scrolling all over the place.

25. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

A bigger size doesn't mean they would ever make side by side an option.