Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The problem is that I doubt many people will that much in cash for a phone. Maybe I'm wrong here, but a $600 Craiglist transaction feels like a smaller pill to swallow than a $1500 one. Maybe internationally people will pay more for them, but I just don't know. Plus the majority of people don't buy the phone outright anymore and instead use a carrier payment plan.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
The problem is that I doubt many people will that much in cash for a phone. Maybe I'm wrong here, but a $600 Craiglist transaction feels like a smaller pill to swallow than a $1500 one. Maybe internationally people will pay more for them, but I just don't know. Plus the majority of people don't buy the phone outright anymore and instead use a carrier payment plan.

If this were a Nintendo you'd be right. But this is the latest IPHONE. People have gone to crazy lengths to ensure they have the latest iPhone... They will forgo bills, sell belongings, take days off of work to camp for days/weeks on end.

It's a "need" for enough people that even if prices top $3000 on launch day (and they will), even people who can't afford to pay attention... will find a way to get one.

It's absolute insanity. May as well cash in =D!

And if some rando on CL isn't willing to meet at a local bank (with security) to complete the transaction, there will be plenty of other randos that will, especially once the hysteria that they don't have the latest and greatest sets in. Toss in that it's holiday season and you'll see people maxxing out credit cards just to get one. Is it pathetic? Yup. But it'll make people like me a lot of $$$.

And if for some reason it doesn't, I'll just waltz in and return all 12 (or however many my minions get). Easy peasy. Zero risk to my capital
[doublepost=1506543782][/doublepost]And I did want to address the idea that $3000 is "cruel". No no no NO it is NOT.

No one is forcing anyone to pay it, and frankly, no one is forcing anyone to pay MSRP. The idea that we "need" the latest and greatest iPhone as a status symbol is the reason, and milking that mentality for every cent possible isn't just NOT cruel, it's borderline what the people willing to pay it deserve.

This isn't flu vaccine. It's a luxury item. Cruelty free scalping!!!

Reactions: David G.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Agreed. Pretty sad people that don't have the liquidity to buy a few phones (for instant resale) are buying a $1000+ phone to begin with, but that's just the world we live in.

Attachments

• Kermit.jpg
    Kermit.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 121

RtWrecklezX

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
If this were a Nintendo you'd be right. But this is the latest IPHONE. People have gone to crazy lengths to ensure they have the latest iPhone... They will forgo bills, sell belongings, take days off of work to camp for days/weeks on end.

It's a "need" for enough people that even if prices top $3000 on launch day (and they will), even people who can't afford to pay attention... will find a way to get one.

It's absolute insanity. May as well cash in =D!

And if some rando on CL isn't willing to meet at a local bank (with security) to complete the transaction, there will be plenty of other randos that will, especially once the hysteria that they don't have the latest and greatest sets in. Toss in that it's holiday season and you'll see people maxxing out credit cards just to get one. Is it pathetic? Yup. But it'll make people like me a lot of $$$.

And if for some reason it doesn't, I'll just waltz in and return all 12 (or however many my minions get). Easy peasy. Zero risk to my capital

I used to feel bad for people paying extra but in this case any person willing to spend 50%~200% over retail kind of deserves it. This is a true test of patients if they are rich, impatient, and irrational by all means buy it. There are more important things than obsessing over a device.

Reactions: icemanbrfc

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
here's an idea: how about just buying one for your own personal use and let everyone else that wants one be able to get one directly from apple at retail prices.

Then with the time saved not scalping you can secure yourself a proper job or even engage in a hobby.

Here's an idea: why don't you petition Apple to limit purchases to one per customer?

I have a proper job. It's how I can afford to buy 12+ (or as many as I can get for 11/3 delivery, within reason) for cash. Ironically, it's usually the people with far less resources than myself and without "proper jobs" that complain about "scalpers". Maybe you're one of them, maybe you're not. Don't know, don't care.

I do know that if there is a "special place in hell" for people that make tremendous profits from people's obsession over the iPhone, I'll be in VERY good company.

I'll be sure to tell Steve Jobs "hi" for ya though :cool:. I'll tell him you only bought one. Maybe he'll send you a medal or something?

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Here's an idea: why don't you petition Apple to limit purchases to one per customer?

I have a proper job. It's how I can afford to buy 12+ (or as many as I can get for 11/3 delivery, within reason) for cash. Ironically, it's usually the people with far less resources than myself and without "proper jobs" that complain about "scalpers". Maybe you're one of them, maybe you're not. Don't know, don't care.

I do know that if there is a "special place in hell" for people that make tremendous profits from people's obsession over the iPhone, I'll be in VERY good company.

I'll be sure to tell Steve Jobs "hi" for ya though :cool:. I'll tell him you only bought one. Maybe he'll send you a medal or something?

So let me ask you this....what value do you add to the product by charging $3k for it? Why is it worth an extra $2k to buy it from you over Apple? Hoarding stock and selling it back to people at triple the cost is a douche move. You’re just creating inefficiencies in the market. But as long as you can make a dollar who gives an f right.

Over the years I’ve sold probably 5+ extra iPhones on launch day because I overbought for one reason or another. Sold them all at cost. Multiple times had people ask me ‘are you sure you want to do this?’ My response: yup. Why do I deserve to make a profit from you when I’m not adding any value whatsoever to the phone or your enjoyment of the phone? Maybe I’m just not enough of a capitalist, which is ok with me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
half MSRP by the timeframe leading up to 'X-2' I think

especially if Touch ID embedded display rumors take off

Resell is actually a great concern of mine with this X model, though not the only one-- I have a feeling early adopters who are feverish upgraders will get hosed

Last edited:

Cseabreeze

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
So let me ask you this....what value do you add to the product by charging $3k for it? Why is it worth an extra $2k to buy it from you over Apple? Hoarding stock and selling it back to people at triple the cost is a douche move. You’re just creating inefficiencies in the market. But as long as you can make a dollar who gives an f right.

Over the years I’ve sold probably 5+ extra iPhones on launch day because I overbought for one reason or another. Sold them all at cost. Multiple times had people ask me ‘are you sure you want to do this?’ My response: yup. Why do I deserve to make a profit from you when I’m not adding any value whatsoever to the phone or your enjoyment of the phone? Maybe I’m just not enough of a capitalist, which is ok with me.

While I agree that scalpers suck, I don't think you're using that term correctly.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
While I agree that scalpers suck, I don't think you're using that term correctly.

I’m talking about retail market inefficiencies. Not market inefficiencies as per the technical term.

The most efficient way to sell once the good hits the retail store is directly to the consumer. There’s no need, nor is there any value added through middle men (to the end consumer). The only one that benefits is the scalper.

Plut

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
Your really underestimating Apple if you don't believe they are purposely creating a market for scalping their newest Flagship devices. They have been releasing iPhones for 10 years now and every year they are in short supply. They do this by design. They want the hysteria and the news coverage that comes with it. So in the end they do end up selling more units, making the company more profitable and more innovative to release a better phone year after year. So thank the scaplers as they do play a small role in keeping Apple on top.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Very well said.
Its an artificial shortage and slow supply release to create the illusion that the items are hard to get and find and high in demand.
Its a game that Apple knows how to play very well but this year I dont think many will bite ;)

Your really underestimating Apple if you don't believe they are purposely creating a market for scalping their newest Flagship devices. They have been releasing iPhones for 10 years now and every year they are in short supply. They do this by design. They want the hysteria and the news coverage that comes with it. So in the end they do end up selling more units, making the company more profitable and more innovative to release a better phone year after year. So thank the scalpers as they do play a small role in keeping Apple on top.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Any body that says charging the absolute most for an iPhone on the secondary market is cruel or dishonest is straight up un-American. This is a premium iPhone, not a medication or food. A luxury item.

This is capitalism at its finest. I hope to pay my NYC rent with all the phones I will try to buy and resell!

Reactions: DJosche
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.