Experience and Problems with MacBook Pro 15" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diamondaine, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Diamondaine macrumors newbie

So, nearly two weeks ago i bought myself a refurbished MacBook Pro 15“ 2,66Ghz i7 with 4GB of Ram and the normal 500GB HDD and low res. glossy Display.:cool:

The first thing is, i recieved a MacBook Pro with 8GB Ram. Actually thats good because at Apple its an 360€ upgrade. I contacted the Apple Store if these 8GB of Ram, I actually did not buy are covered by Apple Care, because i want to buy an ACPP. They said i have to contact Apple Care, but its an non-free Telephone Number. But still no matter with that.

So next, after i got used to OS X and installed some things i wanted and set up Parallels with XP and Bootcamp with Win 7 for gaming, i had the first real issue with OS X. A kernel Panic while shutting down. It happend 2-3 times. I think and hope it‘s Software related, and i want to switch to and SSD in some weeks anyway, so i thought its not too bad and i can wait till then with the complete reinstall.

Next thing was, if i connect my iPhone 3Gs, iTunes and iPhoto „want“ to start at the same time, but sometimes only iTunes or iPhoto starts and the other Program does not start until i close the one which has opened. Why?

So, now there the real Problem. My MacBook Pro does not want to shut down at all now. I just see a „blue“ screen with the spinning wheel, spinning. Even after 2-3mins it still turns. I just press the power button for a few seconds then and it is off. But if i close all programs with cmd + Q and deactivate Bluetooth and Wifi, it turns off normally, within 3-4s.

So i think it would be good to clean reinstall Mac OS X, and don‘t take a Time Machine Backup? Do i have to reinstall my BootCamp Partition or is it uneffected if i just select my Macintosh HD to be erased, while installing OS X?

If you need any further information to help me, just ask.

Thanks in advance

Diamondaine

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

Do you only get the shutdown problem with the iPhone connected to your MBP?

3. Diamondaine, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

No, nothing except my Magic Mouse is connect to it, when it should shut down. I just have to really close all programs turn off wifi and bluetooth and it shouts down.

Diamondaine

edit: Here you can see where it stops, shutting down, when i boot in verbose mode:

Attached Files:

4. Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

If you purchased it refurbished from Apple I would head over to a local store now. They will take care of you.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Regarding iPhoto opening when you connect your iPhone, open up iPhoto and go to Preferences. Where it says open when camera connects (or something like that) do the drop down menu to select the other option. Can't remember what it says, but basically it's saying iPhoto will not open when a camera is connected.

Regarding the other, it may be that your magic mouse is keeping it awake somehow. I'm guessing that because it will let you shut down when you turn off Bluetooth.

Will let someone else give you assistance with that... no techie here.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

By any chance, do you have any other device paired via Bluetooth (besides the mouse)? If you do, remove the other devices and see if that solves the problem.

8. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Image Capture will allow you to set when a certain program opens when you attach a camera capable device like an iPhone.

9. Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

i just tried out a few things, and what now?
    It just shuts down and reboots like a new one... Don't know why, i can leave Bluetooth and Wifi on, dont have to close programs and can even leave my iPhone plugged in...
    Thats great but the iTunes + iPhoto Problem still exists, but it isn't that bad, i just start in manually if i want to import photos, and said that it doesnt start when connecting my Phone.

I hope i dont get any Kernel Panics or other Problems soon, until i get my SSD.

Diamondaine

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Do you connect your iPhone every time you turn on your computer? Why?

I told you in a previous post how to deal with the iPhoto issue.

11. Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i dont connect my iPhone everytime i turn my Computer on, someone just said in an early post if my iphone is connect on the shut down issue, but i always plug it out before shutting down.

And yes i know that, and i just said iphoto to not start when connecting my iPhone. Thanks for that.

Diamondaine

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You bet. Glad it helped.