Experience with Seagate Freeagent Desktop Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Battlefield Fan, May 20, 2009.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Do any of you own this extrenal hdd?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FFYVQS/sr=1-1/qid=1242868653/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1242868653&sr=1-1

Currently I use 10.4.11 and it hit me the other day that with over 3,000 pictures I would be really saddened if I lost all of them. I also have a 35 GB iTunes library. (some of these may not be big compared to what you have but for me it is)

I plan on most likely upgrading to a newer computer with 10.5 or 10.6 but until then I have to manually back up my files.

I just want to plan for the future since my new computer will probably have a 1TB hdd. I would like to keep the cost between $150-$200.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Not that particular drive, but I usually buy Seagate internal drives. Granted, I just lost my backup drive a few days ago, but it was a re-certified drive, so I guess I deserve it.

You using this for a backup? If so, it should do just fine.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I don't have this exact drive, but I use a 1TB Seagate External Drive, and I use Time Machine with it. No problems so far, and I've had it about 9 months.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not that exact drive, but a seagate free agent pro external HD. Had it for a year and a half with no problems at all (knock on wood). It's also very quiet and quite attractive, IMO. :)

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I own that exact model and capacity. Good drive and good deal for FW800. It's also ascetically beautiful. I feel bad I have it on the floor, and not on my desk.

I found mine at Fry's for a bit less (just a couple weeks ago) at $139. At that price my "too cheap NOT to have one" meter pegged and I picked it up. I'm actually doing some video editing off it right now.

I have 3 FW800's and 2 FW400 daisy chained off it (the FW800's go first) from my 17" UB MBP. The other two FW800's are built-up from components - both Seagates. The two FW400's are Freeagent Desktop Pros (the orange/black).

6. MacRUK macrumors newbie

I have 27,000+ images, over several years, at increasing filesize, ≈22gb

So, Maybe your 3,000+ ≈ 3gb ?

If so, first thing would be to back up to DVD.

(I find I use Toast to quickly calculate number of images, dragging folder to Toast gives a file count)

The upgrade to 10.5.x is worth it, for Time Machine backups alone.

Plus, I back up to 4 separate external HDD's, using CCC, Time Machine x 2, and straight drag & copy, sorting folders by mod date, and copying those updated since previous backup copying.

And with photo's, as I add them, PS them etc, I backup copy to DVD / CD as I go along, not so daunting on a regular basis, ie after a holiday.

I also store them on iMac into <4gb folders (by year) , easy to DVD copy again.

Photo's too precious to lose.

7. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Right well like I said it may not be a whole lot for you and I didn't check the total size of all them but 3gb is easy to back up on a DVD.

My 35 gb iTunes collection(again I realize this isn't big for most) isn't so easy. Plus I tried backing it up about two years ago but my collection has grown 10x. I just want an easy way to make sure that all I have to do is drag and drop my files until I upgrade to 10.6. I'm tired of having to wait around for each DVD to burn and all of that crap.

8. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Thank you for sharing your experience. I currently am using two internal seagate hdd's on my pc and they are one of the few parts that hasn't given me trouble

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

And I thought I was nuts about backing up! :)

I'm curious, do you have an off-site backup? If not, you should consider it. I've had good backups at home for a while, but if my house ever burned down, I'd still lose it all. So I forked out the money for Backblaze to do online backups. I'm feeling much more secure now.