Experiences with 10.7.2?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mightee, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mightee macrumors member

So you devs who have been playing with 10.7.2 (so you can tinker with iCloud), have you noticed any improvements as far as general system performance?

2. Nielsenius, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Edit: It seems I should not be posting about developer releases...

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

You may not know this but developers sign a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) when they enroll to be a developer. Given that you'll probably not find too many developers here willing to violate their NDA and risk a lawsuit from Apple. What you will find are people who are not developers that have illegally downloaded it.

4. Lokheed macrumors regular

It's not the lawsuit we are worried about, it's being kicked out of the program. Apple wouldn't sue unless you did something egregious. In most cases, they'll just blacklist you.

And no, there are no improvements to performance.

5. iBug2 macrumors 68040

There are improvements to performance, but that same improvement could have come in 10.7.1 as well, which I did not install. Safari cannot handle 100+ tabs in 10.7 but it can in 10.7.2 for example. That may be a bug fix, not a performance enhancement though.

6. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

For those of us who don't have a rod up the ass about foolish things like a beta build NDA:

I think Lion 10.7.2 does fix some of the annoying bugs that I experienced with the 10.7.0 GM, particularly with the Finder. The graphics drivers in the latest build (11C40) seem vastly improved with respect to glitchiness. In general, the system feels a little faster (meaning the GUI is more evenly responsive, less lag).

Bugs with QuickTime and audio (e.g. AC3 audio output fails, HDMI audio doesn't really work) are still present.

7. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I have 11C40 installed on a 2011 MacBook Air 11", and scrolling in Safari is vastly improved compared to GM and 10.7.1. It's no longer choppy, and is very smooth. The mouse speed was increased by default and there's new graphic drivers, so expect some good performance very soon. :D

8. sshhoott macrumors 6502

sshhoott

Battery life issue due to scrolling

It's good to hear about so many improvements in the latest build of 10.7.2. Currently I am using MBP 13 Mid-2010 with Nvidia 310M (2.4 Core 2 DUO) with 10.7.1. I am getting about 2 hours less battery than Snow Leopard while doing light web browsing. After looking into it further, I saw scrolling used dramatically higher CPU and at full scrolling speed Safari can consume up to 55% CPU (also taking into account the rubber-band effect).

I was hoping if 10.7.2 has new Graphic Drivers for Nvidia 310M and will use hardware acceleration on scrolling and the rubber band effect. Can anyone please confirm that, otherwise I guess I have to roll back to SL. Thanks!

9. naix macrumors member

can anyone verify if this bug is fixed on 10.7.2? I have screenshot attached. I know the cause of the problem if anyone wants to reproduce this bug. You need two programs running and both have to fill the entire screen except dock. Then go to mission control and bug occurs.

Attached Files:

10. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I can consistently repeat it, I've seen it since launch day.

11. Lokheed macrumors regular

Fixed as of 11C43.

12. naix macrumors member

awesome! cant wait for 10.7.2

13. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, in 11C43, the Finder still does not honor view settings--so no matter how many times I specify "Icon View" and hit "Set As Default," Finder still switches certain folders back to column view automatically.

14. marfape macrumors newbie

And what about the battery life issue? Is it fixed? Is it now working as Snow Leopard?

Thanks,

15. Lokheed macrumors regular

That's likely you, not a bug. If you look, you'll see there are two options:

"Always open in..." and "Browse in..."

If you check the first, then that folder will browse in whatever view you specified, but all child folders won't. If you apply both, then the child folders too will inherit the same behaviour.

Ars talks about it, and it's confusing nature: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/15#finder

If you still can't get the desired behaviour, log into safe-mode, delete your users finder preference file, and reboot. Alternatively, you can create a new user and fiddle with the preferences in that account. If they stick, then you know positively that there is corruption somewhere.

16. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

I just upgraded to 10.7.2 (11C43) and can confirm that the battery life has improved quite a bit. Might not be as good as Snow Leopard, but I'm getting about 6.5 hours on a full charge, with Wifi.

17. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

There is a an improvement in battery life with the latest 10.7.2. Had to reset the PRAM after the update to get the benefits.

18. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

19. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

We all see how true that is in reality.....

S-

20. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

The real devs aren't talking. Most of the people talking are the people who geeked out and bought a Dev License just to have first pick at Lion. Even on the Macenterprise and JAMF lists nobody talks about NDA based stuff even though we are all developers.

21. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

22. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Amazing that a new os uses more power than the one it replaced. Apple dropped the ball on this one!

23. Boris A macrumors member

Can anyone comment on the OS and application stability/bugginess in 10.7.2?

Interested in hearing about Mail, Adobe apps, Office suite, general performance on non-2011 hardware, Wi-Fi, battery life.

24. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Can anyone lets know if the wifi still suddenly drops out under 10.7.2

A simple Yes or No would be great

25. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

You might not like my observation, but I can confirm that wifi still suddenly drops out under 10.6.8. How about that?!