Experiences with boot-camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Azrael169, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Azrael169 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to get a feel of other peoples experiences using bootcamp to have Win 7 and OSX running on the same machine.

Personally i find that it seems to slowly destroy my MacOSX install. Works fine to start with but eventually i cant boot to windows from within OSX (it dosnt recognise the HDD as bootable)... Then eventually OSX starts to hang on occasion which leads up to my latest where the OSX partition wont successfully boot. It just hangs or if it does manage to load it crashes shortly after boot. This has happened 3-4 times to me now. With my old powerbook i had it 3 years and never once had to re-isntall the O/S... On both my MBP's i've had to do several re-installs. Frustrated and annoyed cause i always end up losing some sort of data and alot of time.

So is this just happening to me or is everyone else getting something similar?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've run Windows side-by-side with OS X on three Macs with Boot Camp from v1.0, through 3.2 and never had any interaction with OS X. Had to reinstall/repair Windows a few times, but never OS X.

So maybe it is just you? :p:confused:

B

3. aki macrumors 6502a

I've run bootcamp for a long time on 4 iMacs and not had this kind of problem. Something is awry I think...

4. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

I have to say that I think Bootcamp is the best way of running a dual OS on a mac.

I am not trying to fan a flame war, but I think aside from failing hardware on anyone's system, that most problems are caused by improper install and/or perpetuated by user misapplying fixes.

5. karl878 macrumors member

I have been running Windows 7 (32bit) under boot camp for over six months, never experienced any of the problems mentioned by OP, nor seen any adverse effect on OS X in general.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not W7 but I have used Vista on my MBP for over 2 years with no issues. In Windows I am using a utility called System Suite to keep Windows issues cleaned up. I've had no issues so maybe it's helping. :)