Experiencing some serious battery problems with the RMBP 2014 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Oct 29, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

I am experiencing horrible battery life on the 13inch RMBP 2014 model.
    Everytime i turn on the computer first i get ridiculous battery estimates like 4 hours of time remaining @ 100% then when i shut the lid (clamshell) and open it again it shows proper 8/9 hours of battery remaining But the thing is in reality I'm getting barely 4/5 hours at the most. With barely any apps running and brightness set to minimum. Here is the current state of my activities. What could the problem possibly be? PS Im running yosemite

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting horrible battery life on a new computer, I'd call apple on it, so you can get it replaced.

3. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Since it's new, bring it to the geniuses. I suspect you have faulty battery cells.

4. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i bought the computer from the states and currently am in india. here in india we don't have apple geniuses. is it faulty? but before the yosemite update things were fine

5. tumas macrumors member

Any chance to make a screenshot of your battery-information?
    (About this mac -> More Info... -> Power)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You should still have a warranty, call Apple for support. Yes, I'd say the battery is faulty.

7. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

here

Attached Files:

8. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i just spoke to apple care and they told me that my battery being new its unlikely to be faulty secondly they told me to format my computer and use it to see how much battery life i get. they also said that the 2014 13inch model gets only 7 hours of battery. i don't know what to do?
    they said that if i go to a service center and if its a software problem they will charge me as software issues are only resolved on the phone unlike hardware issues.

the apple here in india clearly sucks :(
    Im so confused i don't know what to do

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Do a clean install of Yosemite. Download Yosemite off the App Store and use DiskMaker X (it's free) to image the Yosemite installer into an external USB disk.

After that, boot from that USB disk and erase the internal drive. Then install Yosemite on it.

10. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting some error while accessing macrumors from sucuri security saying that my IP is blocked:mad:

I do not want to reinstall the os because my computer is barely a month old and secondly i don't know how to do so and cant afford to lose my data.
    My battery life seems to be fine but the main problem is as soon as i turn on the computer the battery drains like anything unless if i put it to sleep and then resume it that makes the battery to stabilize. I have attached screenshots when i first turn on my system and once after i put it to sleep.
    Is this normal? Why is this happening, its so frustrating :( what am i supposed to do? everytime i turn on my system do i need to put it to sleep and resume it just so the battery stabilizes?

Attached Files:

11. ha1o2surfer, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Posting the CPU tab is more helpful like you did above. That netgear software seems to be causing the drain. First I would disable that.

NetGear Genie is causing the CPU to wake up and most likely make the CPU turbo boost while it's running. Macbooks only get good battery life under ideal conditions and one of those is the keep the CPU in it's C7 state as much as possible and even a program using 3% CPU will cause the CPU to use 4-5 watts more.

To better understand this:

A 13 inch rMBP has a 71Wh battery. In order for the laptop to get advertised 9 hours, the entire laptop must draw only 7-8 watts. If the CPU is turbo boosting (dual core model ) an extra 5 watts that brings the battery down to 5.5 hours... This is most likely the case. Open up coconut battery and watch the power draw. (should be in mAH or wH) post a screenshot of it for us.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Agree on this, if you can get away without running that Netgear Genie, quit the application and uninstall it.

13. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you so much :D
    i deleted the netgear app and that did the job
    thanks once again

for some reason whenever i try to access macrumors through my house network i get this message but when I'm using it through hotspot from my cellphone it is being accessed. why so? it says my ip is blocked

i get the following details:

Sucuri WebSite Firewall - CloudProxy - Access Denied
    What is going on?
    You are not allowed to access the requested page. If you are the site owner, please open a ticket in our support page if you think it was caused by an error: https://support.sucuri.net. If you are not the owner of the web site, you can contact us at soc@sucuri.net. Also make sure to include the block details (displayed below), so we can better troubleshoot the error.
    Block details
    Your IP: 12x.xx.xx.xxx
    URL: forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=1811281
    Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10) AppleWebKit/600.1.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Safari/600.1.25
    Block ID: GEO01
    Block reason: Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator.
    Server ID: cp49
    Sucuri CloudProxy
    CloudProxy is a WebSite Firewall from Sucuri. It stands between your site and the rest of the world and protects against attacks, malware infections, DDOS, brute force attempts and mostly anything that can harm it.

Not only that, but your sites get cached, speeding it up quite a bit. Interested? Visit http://cloudproxy.sucuri.net

14. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

It sounds like your DNS may be redirected to thiers so they can do some simple filtering. Maybe someone in your household signed up for this or maybe your router is doing this as a trial service.. idk? In any case try this..

http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_mac.shtml

And change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and see if it still blocks macRumors

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Also add in 8.8.4.4 as another DNS. Both of these are run by Google and will bypass the DNS in your router.

16. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys sorry to bother you but the problems seems to be back inspite of deleting that netgear app. I'm posting pictures of the cpu and energy when i start the computer and after i wake it up from sleep mode. the difference is massive please help me out if you could, is it a battery problem or the software?

The first two pictures are when i start my computer and the last two are after i wake it up from sleep mode

Attached Files:

17. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Safari seems to be causing the issue, specifically www.instructables.com

It may be wise to quit and restart Safari.

18. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

the surprising part is that i haven't even opened that website and when i turn it on safari is not even open so i don't know why its showing that secondly after i wake it up from sleepy it surprisingly goes away, what could the real issue be?

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Are you on AirTel broadband by any chance?

Many site operators blanket ban that ISP, or sometimes all indian ISPs due to the sheer volume of spammers, and the reluctance of indian ISPs to do anything (on a website I help run I'd say 80% of our spammers are using AirTel).

20. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I changed the dns and that issue is resolved thanks a lot though :D
    though i am till experiencing the battery problems

21. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Quit safari, open safari and clear all history and data.

22. chaofahn, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

To me, it seems like it's just an inaccurate battery meter. I've had this "problem" too, but it doesn't phase me that much.

I have had my Mac tell me I only have 5 hours battery (at 100%) charge. For the rest of the day, I was using power-intensive programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD m etc.) but managed to get a good 7 hours out of it. I checked my battery every now and then and it kept going up and down, much like your situation.

I know there's been a lot of posts trying to help you out but I really do believe it's your paranoia and not a problem with the actual battery! :p

EDIT: It's probably Yosemite's way of saying "At the current situation, with X amount of apps running, you have a worst-case scenario of Y hours left". Try ticking the few energy saving options in the Mac settings such as "allow hard disks to be out to sleep" etc. I think that's what helped my battery life.

23. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

The only real solution is the start from scratch and do a clean install. It's probably some sketchy software on your computer causing the drain.

24. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to do a clean install unless I'm 100% sure about it. Is there anyway to find out? And if i do a clean install ill end up losing everything so wouldn't want that to happen. Is there a way to find out who the real culprit is? As i had mentioned its a new computer so theres nothing sketchy as such installed on it. Waking it up from sleep to stabilize the battery is that a solution and is it normal? Could it be possibly when the computer initially starts it runs a lot of things in the background and then stabilizes itself?

haha i thought that too but the astonishing part is i don't have any apps running:eek: and everytime putting to sleep and waking it up is just annoying.

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You wont lose your data.

Just back up your data to an external drive using time machine do a clean install then be careful about which programs you reload and do a data migration to get all your files and information back. It certainly seems like a rogue process running in the background.