Explain Pre-Ordering To Me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, May 28, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Never pre-ordered an iPhone before. If you pre-order through Apple's website after the iPhone is announced, do you get it as soon as it hits stores...or are you better off standing in line and waiting for one if you want it as soon as possible?

When you pre-order, do they ship it to your home address or to the Apple store? I've heard both and wasn't sure what was standard (and/or if it was an option and one was better than the other).

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes you get it on the day, you can wait in line if you want, and it could be shipped to whichever address you want, unless they change the policy and say the iPhone will be shipped to the credit card billing address only.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pre-Order is buying the iPhone online before its actually available. Apple will ship it out to you so that it generally arrives on the day it's available in stores.

That is, it will ship a day or two before its available in stores so you'll have it on the same day.

You can reserve an iPhone as well, this is different in that you reserve one and then must wait in line at a given apple store to pick that up.

Personally, I opt for pre-ordering, so I don't have to deal with the lines/crowds. It will come when t comes.

5. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

pre order is the way to go. you may not have it first thing in the morning like he a-holes that wait in those long lines and camp out but you should have it by early afternoon depending on the delivery schedule of your fedex driver. I pre-ordered my 3GS and had it in hand by 2pm on the release date.

6. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

It sucks that they don't allow pre-ordering in Canada :(

Maybe they will this year....

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

A-holes? Cmon man, not everyone likes to wait at home.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only if you need it a few hours earlier

Either

The question is, do you want to stand in a line? Even if you preorder you will need to stand in the preorder line. Personally, I sat at home and my 3GS was delivered to me.

9. Ehlun macrumors member

You can't pre-order in Canada, can you?

I'm with Telus Mobility, anybody know if I can order online from their website? :confused:

10. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

You can't, it really sucks. You'll most likely be able to after the phone launches, but the availability might not be so high. In Canada everything is a wild card, we'll just have to wait and see as the release draws near.

11. Welshman2oo5 macrumors member

If you pre-order and have the phone delivered to you, does the simcard come pre-loaded with all your account/billing info set up?

12. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

you have to activate it through itunes like you would any other iphone

13. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

I am curious as well. My number is with VZW right now. If I pre-ordered and had it shipped to my home how would I get my number transfered to AT&T? :)

14. raven77 macrumors member

I wait in line every year and I enjoy it!
    Does that make me an azzhole????
    Yea I didn't think so scumbag!

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did a search and found this thread on the subject:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=716699

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, some of us a-holes don't like the idea of our iPhone sitting on our front porch for 8 hours until we get home. Doesn't seem too safe.

And anyway, I had to wait in line for just 5 minutes last year because I pre-ordered it and they had a special line for us at the AT&T store.

Oh, wait. Am I not an ****** because I waited in a short line? I thought it was the 'line waiting' iteself that was the problem, but now I'm re-reading it and it looks like it's the length of the line that matters. So I'm probaby ok with 5 minutes, huh?

Well that's a relief.

What's the cut-off? How long can I wait until I become an ******? It'd be nice to know so I can avoid it.

17. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Guess I'm an ******, too, 'cause I wanted to have my phone in hand by 7:30 am rather than waiting for UPS; I preordered and had it sent to an AT&T store, so I was in and out of the store in about 20 minutes after waiting in line for maybe half an hour. I hope that falls into ****** criteria, 'cause I also plan on being an ****** this year.

18. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

Thank you! I did a little google search of the site first, i think i did it for the wrong key words. That link was full of great info! ;)

19. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

if you decide to preorder you should wait until you have the phone in hand to port your number. if not your old phone will not work while you are waiting on your shipment.

not only are you a azzhole you are a idiot too

they will not leave your shipment if nobody is there to accept and sign for it that was one of the big worries with the 3gs. move to a better neighborhood and you won't have to worry about the drivers leaving things at your door.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well then I'd never get it. I'd have to leave work early to get to their office for a late pickup, so that's not likely to happen. This would continue to happen all week as I'm never home during the day.

I'll be going to the store again.

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

you work saturdays? iphone releases are usually on fridays

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

My full discount date is 6/13/2010.

Sounds like pre-orders may be taken before that date.

Do you think I'll be able to pre-order before 6/13 if delivery is after that date???

23. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Thanks everyone! Sounds like pre-ordering is the way to go for me! Appreciate the help!

24. Ehlun macrumors member

That sucks. I want an iPhone, but I'm not about to lineup for one. :p

25. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I know that the 3GS was announced at WWDC 2009 on June 8th, but when was the 3GS available for pre-order? Just curious because I did not pre-order mine right away. I pre-ordered mine through Apple on June 11th for delivery on June 19th (shipped on June 16th).