Explain the reasons why you do not buy a macbook air!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

The stunning macbook air seems not satisfy everyone's taste!

So can you guys who have purchased macbook pro explain the reasons why you do not like mba???

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Well I think that 15inch MBP's are portable, so the MBA comes across as overpriced to me. It is beautiful though, no doubt about it.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

to me the MBA just seems like it should never have existed the 13 MBP is still real thin and has all the ports CD drive firewire glass trackpad its just overall better and cheaper and is still extremely portable and now with the better Batt life the MBA just seems like a stupid decision for anyone to purchase. I mean 1.5 pounds and .24" is nothing I dont see the reason for having the air in apples lineup they should just fade it out imo...

4. cube macrumors G4

- Gigabit ethernet
    - FireWire
    - Optical drive

5. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

I had and loved my MacBook Air. I wanted a portable that was slightly more duarable than the plastic MacBook but didn't want the size or weight on the 15" MacBook Pro.

Along came the Air and was a great machine for what I needed. When they brought out a 13" UMB with the glass trackpad I got rid of my Air.

6. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I use my MBP for editing so I needed the FW800 and the speed. Also the hard drive on the Air is a little inhibiting - My next upgrade will probably be a 500GB hard drive, the air doesn't allow for this.

But at the same time I must say that I really like the air - its beautifully designed and I actually think the whole wireless drive system is a good idea to keep things lightweight.

If I had a Mac Pro system to edit with I would then consider the air as a portable, but right now the MBP is the perfect solution for portability and power. And so far I'm really loving my MBP (The only gripe is having all the USB ports only on one side of the machine and having them so close together - When I have my USB flashdrive attached I can't plug anything else in - I know you can get adapters and extensions, but that defeats the purpose of being portable and simple - But with that being the only gripe I really find the MPB to be an excellent machine - Shiny screen glare doesn't bother me).

:rolleyes::apple:

7. acurafan macrumors 6502a

that pretty much sums it up for me. and the fact memory/hdd cannot be user customizable makes it a turn off.

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

For me, the MBA looks like an academic and development exercise.

They used it to see that they were able to do the unibody design, and then put it on sale for the bragging rights.

I would personally not buy one (unless I came into a hell of a lot of money) because I'm not worried about the weight of the MacBook, whilst I don't use optical media anymore, I don't like the lack of Gb Ethernet, although if it was a 10" or 12" widescreen, it would be better suited for apple to justify not having a netbook.

I don't really see why they need to have a 13" model thats just lighter than a MacBook.

9. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Too small.
    Not enough power (slow processor, doesn't allow enough RAM).
    Only one USB port.
    No FireWire.
    No optical drive.
    No ExpressCard slot (yes, yes, DNA now).

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

IGNORANCE IS BLISS - wow buddy, what planet?? Planet 'Narrow minded' :eek:

11. cube macrumors G4

Yes, I didn't mention the ExpressCard just because it's still not in the 13" MBP and I would still kind of consider it.

But I never bought a PowerBook 12" because of the lack of PCMCIA slot, and now I rushed to get a prev gen 15" MBP because of the ExpressCard and the battery, even if I think it's too big.

12. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I'd agree with GB Ethernet & FW ... I can live with the optical being an external.

However, for portable photography work, it needs a larger HD.

An ExpressCard would be quite nice, as it would save a 'dongle' for CF cards. It could also potentially double as the interface for GB Ethernet, since its not necessarily all that likely to be using both at once.

I'm happy that I got the 12" PB ... and its still running fine. Of course, it doesn't have GB Ethernet either, although that was probably more due to age.

-hh

13. cube macrumors G4

It's not acceptable for the optical to be an external when the Toshiba R600 has it built-in and weighs 800g .

14. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Even with the recent price cut, the MBA is still way too expensive.

With the significant lack of features, performance and connectivity, this computer is closer to a netbook than an ultraportable. But let's be honest, regardless of how you classify the computer, you still get less computer for more money-in essence, a bad deal.

A fair price would be $600-$700, in my opinion.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the air runs hot and is very unreliable, i literally tossed my refurb in the trash and never thought about buying another.

it would restart itself , had tons of issues with heat , battery life sucked.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if I were serious about getting a MBA, I'd get a Lenovo X200 with winXP pro, more USB ports and much faster processor for ~$1,000 now...

17. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

18. anthonyramos84 macrumors newbie

anthonyramos84

Available processor speeds would be a definite lack for me since I play games, process a lot of photos with Photoshop. Plus, I am not too gentle when it comes to handling things with my hands. I feel like I could snap the thing with my huge fingers. hehe! :)

19. onedamngoal macrumors member

I used a 1.86Ghz MBA before getting my MBP. Fan was ALWAYS running in some form. Runs even higher when I so much as wanted to play a YouTube video.

In my opinion, the MBA should never have been made. If your whining that your previous laptop was to "heavy"; Join a gym. The time and resources it took Apple to create the MBA could've been spent releasing the fabled Mac Tablet. I want the PADD from Star Trek!

20. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

But for a mere $500 more, you get OSX! ;)

21. will0407 macrumors 6502a

13" is not THAT much heavier, and has far better specs.

22. mrrippey macrumors regular

bang for buck....

13" uMBP is much better bang for buck, plain an simple. I wanted an Air bad but an Air is like a Louis Vuitton bag or a Burberry umbrella; sure they work and are beautiful but you can get something cheaper and more useful. No knock on the Air (or Louis bag or Burberry umbrella, since I have both) but if you buy an Air, you buy it because you really want it and it is sweet, just don't beef if you find it's limitations.

23. suekitch macrumors regular

I need better battery life :) And whilst I could 'get around' not having the superdrive, I genuinely like the convenience of having one. I mean I buy a ton of magazines that come with discs that I like to explore!

24. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Seems flimsier to me, when compared to the MBP. I want my laptop to last me a good 2-3 years. That, and the soldered-in RAM.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can You tell me why you need to make repeated threads asking arbitray questions about a computer you most likely do not own? If you're in the market then do a search and see the pros and cons of the MBAir over the MBPs. Or at the vey least consolidate your threads.