Explain what "Password" means in this case?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidlv, Jun 6, 2010.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I went to a friend's home, he just got a new MBP 15" and it automatically pops up a dialog box showing several wireless networks with varying signal strengths and asks to select one, then asks for a password. :eek:
    He also has a 24" iMac 2009, but connects to the web by ethernet, never set up the wireless. I assume the password asked for is for access to the ISP router (strongest signal strength of the networks shown) but he doesn't know it. Is this password a default (maybe to be found in the router manual)? or something that has to be setup by accessing the router? I assume the password asked for is not the same as the WEP or WPA password, but I am not sure, being quite a noob myself when it comes to networking. Any help appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

His wireless network is likely protected. Look at the bottom of the router, in most cases, the password can be found from there. If not, look at the manual for instructions how to change the password

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

It will indeed be the WEP/WPA/WPA2 password it is seeking. If you look at the list of available wireless networks, you should see a little padlock icon next to any "secure" networks, like the screenshot of mine I attached.

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is the WEP or WAP password setup during the installation of the wireless LAN. If the wireless LAN was already open during the first startup of the router, maybe you can find the standard password in the manual.

And yes, you can change the password via accessing the router, either via Ethernet or wireless LAN, of you have the old password.

One could also assume, that the wireless LAN was not password protected and someone else configured it to have one, which could be remedied by resetting the router, but make sure to remember the numbers that are necessary to dial up to the IP.

[​IMG]

Is that your network gilkisson? I "know" someone, who has that as a username on another board.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

FlyingSpaghettiMonster is indeed my wireless network SSID. It keeps the neighbors away...:D

From http://www.venganza.org/

Tell him or her "Ramen!" for me...

6. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the amazingly quick replies, very helpful indeed. I will go over there again in a few days and try to get the wireless Lan working, my friend is an elderly gentleman who uses his Macs a lot, but he is lost at that kind of setup stuff. Thanks again!:cool:

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If his ISP is providing the Wireless Router, your best bet is to see if the password was included with the Router on some documentation, or on the inside of the box. Failing that, contact the ISP's Tech Support. They are usually pretty good about making the Password easy to find, or may be able to give it to the person on the account outright.

TEG

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just adding that if more than one network pops up, all but one most likely belong to his neighbours' routers, and obviously only they know the password. So the first step is figuring out which one is his router. (Easy: Walk to the router. Turn the power off. Check which wireless network disappears. Turn the router on again. :D )