ExpressCard SD reader stops working after Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baryon, Feb 8, 2011.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Hello everyone,

I have a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. As you probably know, this model does not come with a built-in SD card reader like the newer ones, but has an ExpressCard slot instead.

So I thought it would be a good idea to buy an ExpressCard that would read SD cards. I found one on eBay, here is the link to it so you can see the specifications: Click Here.

[​IMG]

So the thing is that it works, as soon as I insert an SD card into it, it appears as it should and as you would expect. However, when I put my computer to sleep, and wake it up again, it no longer works. When I take the ExpressCard out and put it back again, it works again until I put the computer to sleep again.

I find this really annoying especially that the ExpressCard doesn't slide in and out very smoothly but is quite difficult to take out. So I can't just quickly take it out and put it back in.

I don't think there is any software or driver that I should have installed, as the eBay page says nothing about it, and the card does work fine until I put the computer to sleep.

I don't know much about these things, but my best guess is that the ExpressCard might have some kind of power-saving function that kicks in when I put my machine to sleep, but fails to resume from power-saving mode when I wake my computer, or something like this...

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I can't help directly with the ExpressCard you have, but I know when I was buying one there was a lot of information about cards that did not work correctly with SDHC cards or had issues waking. In the end, I bought the more expensive SanDisk version and had no issues. Before that, I had an ebay model and it wouldn't read half the cards I put in it.

I'm not sure it's a defect in the card, but it could simply be incompatible.

3. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

Some people here (link) seem to be having similar problems, and they seem to say that it could be the OS's fault, or the computer's fault...

I would like to try everything I can before settling with "it just won't work" though... I know it's from eBay and all, but it's the only model I could buy as I'm not in the US and the SanDisk ones cost a LOT (3 times more than the price of the card) to ship from the US (can't buy them from anywhere else apparently).

Maybe there's a way to disable the ExpressCard sleep mode or something... I remember Windows having things like this with WiFi cards...

4. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon