ExpressCard - What do you use it for? Peripheral tips for Mr. MacNoob

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by askywalker, Aug 27, 2007.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

I need a few add-ons for my new MBP. Being new to this Mac world (a week yesterday!), I am hoping some of you experienced users have some advice. I am the only one in my office who has a Mac (that was a major battle), and use Windows on my Mac a lot, so peripherals that are Mac & Windows friendly are great.
    This ExpressCard slot being empty is just killing me... I have to decide what will fill this valuable real-estate... e-sata? remote control? memory card reader?

1. More Space
    I need more hard drive space. I wanted to upgrade the HD - but I bought it in-store and they wouldn't (at least at the Ginza store). I can go external - and assume that e-sata would be the best - but posts here seem to be pretty content with fw800. I have some PC's at work with e-sata, so I thought this would work well - but since they are Windows boxes I guess they won't be able to read the hard drive anyway?
    If I buy one of the new Toshiba 320GB drives to replace my internal drive it will probably cause me warranty issues with Apple... But it is tempting since I am a little nervous about having an external and trying to keep everything I need on the internal - as I wouldn't want to have to fire up the external every time I needed to be portable. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of the notebook - being portable?

2. SD & CF
    I have a couple of cameras, and regularly need access to CF and SD. I tried to buy an Express Card reader in the Apple store, but they didn't have a card reader that did both. Since then, I haven't been able to find anything. Anyone have any ideas? I wish Canon would just give in and switch to SDHC, but in the meantime I have to use an external card reader?

3. Mouse & Keyboard
    I have a MS/Razor Habu mouse. It works, but only as a 'standard' pointer in Mac. Works great inside Fusion. Anyone else using this mouse that can help, or have a mouse that you recommend? I also have a Logitech bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard combo, but haven't returned home to try it out yet - and personally don't like the idea of recharging my mouse/keyboard. I see lots of references to the 'Mighty Mouse', but I tried it at the store and didn't like it. I need something that will perform great in OSX & Fusion/Windows.

4. Network / VPN
    Does anyone know Mac friendly routers that create VPN tunnels. Background:
    I can't get the VPN in OSX working (I have tried a couple of posts about this without any response) so I have started moving apps that I had hoped to run under OSX into XP (under Fusion). I am going to meet with a Genius at the Ginza store - hopefully they will be able to help. I am so close (VPN connects, but no servers are available) - and I know it is not firewall/routing because Windows in Fusion connects with just server/username/password.

Cheers!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have Belkin for SD - nice design, as it fits flush with case. I usually leave it installed in the MBP. I also have a Delkin CF reader. It can't fit flush, as CF is larger than the slot (as you probably already know).

No one makes a single card which handles both.

4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

on the eSata note, mac's can read/write to FAT32 drives, but from what i understand they can't do the same to nfts drives.

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

6. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I might as well get one until the dust settles on eSata expresscards. Would prefer the CF reader, as I have the UDMA 300x CF cards - so I would presume a new CF reader would be able to take advantage of the speedy card.

Do you find that since it is not 'flush', it forces you to take it out if moving your notebook? What I mean is, if you are going to put your notebook in a carrying case, would you take out the CF reader? If so, I guess I might as well get a fully external one, and stick to the SD card reader for the expresscard slot.